Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking about getting a Playstation 3 for awhile now and it eems that I could get one for£230. It would be a 80GB version. Just wondering if this is a good price or not?

Also can anyone recoomend decent games and advise a bout the different models?

ReputationRep:
    It is a good price. They generally retail for £299.

Decent games depends what type of games you are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously it's a console that's well worth getting. The number of different games you can get for it is amazing.

If you like FPS you should get COD4 or COD5. Either that or wait for COD6 to come out. Virtua Tennis 2009 is awesome but that's not for everyone. Fifa 09 is also very good with great online play. However again you may want to wait for Fifa 2010 to come out.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkle.twinkle)
    I have been thinking about getting a Playstation 3 for awhile now and it eems that I could get one for£230. It would be a 80GB version. Just wondering if this is a good price or not?

wtf, i cant be, it must be second hand or its faulty

ReputationRep:
    If you like third person shooters get warhawk :yy:
    Ridge Racer Type 7 for arcade driving :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I got one a month or so ago from Game. They had a fantastic offer on, not sure if they still do.

PS3 + usual stuff + Infamous + Killzone 2 = £300

ReputationRep:
    And if you like adventure games, make sure Uncharted Drake's Fortune is top of your list!

ReputationRep:
    warhawk is the most amazing game ever but only if you like competetive online mayhem. wipeout HD is amazingly pretty and also good value as it's a downloadable game.

i generally prefer the cheap downloadable titles to the disk based games. pixel junk monsters, trash panic, flower, everyday shooter, echochrome etc. all great value fun games. well flower is more an experience than a game, but still cool.

also little big planet, metal gear solid 4 and bioshock are a few worth while disk based games well worth playing

ReputationRep:
    The best games are Uncharted, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Singstar, COD4, GTA4, Bioshock, WipeoutHD, Pixeljunk Monsters and Eden, Warhawk, inFamous amongst others, depending on your personal taste

Also bear in mind that there will likely (though no promises) be a price drop + new model released probably around or before October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Seriously it's a console that's well worth getting. The number of different games you can get for it is amazing.

If you like FPS you should get COD4 or COD5. Either that or wait for COD6 to come out. Virtua Tennis 2009 is awesome but that's not for everyone. Fifa 09 is also very good with great online play. However again you may want to wait for Fifa 2010 to come out.

Hope this helps.
    I have all those games for the 360. Mainly looking for exclusives.

It is a brand new console plus it comes bundled with singstar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshJGordon)
    I got one a month or so ago from Game. They had a fantastic offer on, not sure if they still do.

PS3 + usual stuff + Infamous + Killzone 2 = £300
    Is Killzone 2 good? I was thinking of getting it then I heard some people took it back and part exchanged it for a new game because it was "disappointing". I loved Killzone on PSP though, and I kind of liked Killzone Liberation.

ReputationRep:

Atm, theres only the 80Gb model and a limited edition 160Gb... the standard price for the 80Gb model alone is £299.99 but most places give offers, the best reaching for 2 games + console = £299.99 where you can save a maximum of £80!

The PS3 is tehnically the best console on the market right now, with increasing install base (Sales) and more and more better game line up being introduced. There are some breath-taking games available for the console, namely: Resistance, Killzone 2, Uncharted franchise, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm and much more and plently of powerful ones to come in the future.

Personally, I'm to purchase one today, and what lead me to it was the fact that the word "Next-generation" literally stood out for this console and it really is built for the hard-core serious gamers aiming at quality and value.

Yes, the price is a bit high, but looking at the features the concole has, Blu-ray, Internet, Bluetooth, WiFi, Wireless rechargable controllers, Plus the online service is free, I think you get the bang for your buck, certainly..

ReputationRep:
    I have all those games for the 360. Mainly looking for exclusives.

It is a brand new console plus it comes bundled with singstar.
    We got our PS3 with Singstar as well, hehe.

Little Big Planet is good even though you wouldn't expect it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Is Killzone 2 good? I was thinking of getting it then I heard some people took it back and part exchanged it for a new game because it was "disappointing". I loved Killzone on PSP though, and I kind of liked Killzone Liberation.
    You should go to www.gametrailers.com and see the gameplay videos of the game it-self on there, it always helps me when I'm looking to buy a game. Never trust reviews as you should see the game yourself and ascertain as to wether you like it yourself or not.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You might as well wait for the PS3 slim to come out , its so highly rumoured now that either a price cut or the slom is coming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    You might as well wait for the PS3 slim to come out , its so highly rumoured now that either a price cut or the slom is coming
    Yeah well people have been waiting for a price cut for a year now so don't wait for it... the slim hasn't been announced yet and £230 is a good price...

Killzone 2 isn't all that unfortunately...LBP is good...
    Fat Princess is so much fun tho!! It's only been out for a little while and its about £12 from the PSN store :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Final Fantasy VII !! I nearly went out and bought a ps3 soley to play that game again :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Final Fantasy VII !! I nearly went out and bought a ps3 soley to play that game again :P:
    Or you could just play it on a PS1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I heard theyr're just going to strip the current PS3 down to a slim so it's cheaper when they come to produce it. That would make it look ugly... altho, it's not always all about the looks :cool:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dvdtown.com/news/amazonde...on-3-slim/6882

is that meant to be the new slim? it doesn't look to bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.