Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why exactly are recreational drugs like cannabis tested for in professional sport? If anything cannabis would be detrimental to ones sporting performance. I can understanding testing for speed because that could help during the game. No other professions have mandatory drug tests, surely this is actually against their human right to privacy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Why exactly are recreational drugs like cannabis tested for in professional sport? If anything cannabis would be detrimental to ones sporting performance. I can understanding testing for speed because that could help during the game. No other professions have mandatory drug tests, surely this is actually against their human right to privacy?
    No other professions? Armed forces and police do drugs testing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    No other professions? Armed forces and police do drugs testing.
    Good point. I can see why they would test the police, not neccessarily the armed forces though. Perhaps I should have said no civilian jobs?

ReputationRep:
    BAE Systems to random drug tests

ReputationRep:
    Good point. I can see why they would test the police, not neccessarily the armed forces though. Perhaps I should have said no civilian jobs?
    It isn't as unusual to test civilians for drugs as you seem to think. The ability of the employer to do so is frequently written into employment contracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    BAE Systems to random drug tests
    I would never work anywhere that tested my wizz. As long as i'm doing my job to a good enough standard I don't see what business it is of theirs. If they can't tell by looking at me and my work that i've been doing drugs then why would they bother testing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It isn't as unusual to test civilians for drugs as you seem to think. The ability of the employer to do so is frequently written into employment contracts.
    Wow. I knew they did this a lot in America but I didn't know it had gotten to the UK. What validation do they use for making you sign this right away? If i'm ever in charge of a company i'll drug test and fire the people who don't have any in their systems, just to even out the situation:woo:.

ReputationRep:
    People who object to drugs tests are usually the ones with something to hide and that some drugs cause paranoia...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...rk/DG_10026594

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of tripe... You have to agree to the drug testing, but you won't get the job if you don't agree, so really you have no choice. If it affected productivity and safety you'd think no drug test would be neccessary. I wonder if they could test for alcohol consumption and tell their staff they can't use that.

ReputationRep:
    I would never work anywhere that tested my wizz. As long as i'm doing my job to a good enough standard I don't see what business it is of theirs. If they can't tell by looking at me and my work that i've been doing drugs then why would they bother testing.
    But you can understand it if your making fighting jets, one slight error could be fatal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigman_ben)
    People who object to drugs tests are usually the ones with something to hide and that some drugs cause paranoia...
    I'm objecting on behalf of other people. What business is it of anyones if they prefer a spliff to a glass of wine after work? At the end of the day drug testing only really catches out cannabis users because of the amount of time it stays in your system, so people will just use harder drugs that are flushed in 24 hours.

ReputationRep:
    All drug testing in sports is stupid and a waste of money.

Yeah I said it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    But you can understand it if your making fighting jets, one slight error could be fatal
    Sounds like a good reason not to allow people to use drugs on the job, not outside of work though. I mean how many of their employees turn up with a stonking hangover a couple of times a week? A lot no doubt. To be honest i'd rather the people making important things had been using recreational drugs rather than alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    All drug testing in sports is stupid and a waste of money.

Yeah I said it.
    Exactly. It is quite clear that any professional athelete that wants to/does cheat is at least 5 steps ahead of any testing.

ReputationRep:
    <snip>. I wonder if they could test for alcohol consumption and tell their staff they can't use that.
    yes...

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of tripe... You have to agree to the drug testing, but you won't get the job if you don't agree, so really you have no choice. If it affected productivity and safety you'd think no drug test would be neccessary. I wonder if they could test for alcohol consumption and tell their staff they can't use that.
    Yes they can test for alcohol.

One of my pubs was next to a factory that made shop interiors. The workers were allowed in the pub at lunch, but if they drank alcohol, they were sent home and placed on a disciplinary.

It wa in the contracts that they signed, so they had no comeback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeon)
    Yes they can test for alcohol.

One of my pubs was next to a factory that made shop interiors. The workers were allowed in the pub at lunch, but if they drank alcohol, they were sent home and placed on a disciplinary.

It wa in the contracts that they signed, so they had no comeback.
    They can test if you've used alcohol whilst you are working, but not if you have used alcohol the night before?

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of Eddie Izzard's "stoned olympics" idea

ReputationRep:
    They can test if you've used alcohol whilst you are working, but not if you have used alcohol the night before?
    They can test you at anytime to see if you have alcohol in your system.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.