Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    What a bunch of tripe... You have to agree to the drug testing, but you won't get the job if you don't agree, so really you have no choice. If it affected productivity and safety you'd think no drug test would be neccessary. I wonder if they could test for alcohol consumption and tell their staff they can't use that.
    You do have a choice - don't take the job. Find work a a place which doesn't employ you on such terms as you disagree with. Companies may very well realise then that recreational drug can be used by a productive employee and change their terms.

ReputationRep:
    They can test if you've used alcohol whilst you are working, but not if you have used alcohol the night before?
    If you drank enough to still be under the influence the following day they'd pick up on it in tests - a lot of people drink so much on a night out that they're running the risk of still being intoxicated the next day (police breth tests have shown this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    If you drank enough to still be under the influence the following day they'd pick up on it in tests - a lot of people drink so much on a night out that they're running the risk of still being intoxicated the next day (police breth tests have shown this).
    Yeah they randomly test people round my way to catch them out the morning after. I'm not adversed to that though, people shouldn't be doing anything that requires responsibility whilst on drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis causes paranoia.

Should you tell a stoned 100m that the giant green hedgehog will be following him the whole race, he'll run faster than ever before.

This is why they are doing tests. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Cannabis causes paranoia.

Should you tell a stoned 100m that the giant green hedgehog will be following him the whole race, he'll run faster than ever before.

This is why they are doing tests.
    That explains why Michael Phelps broke so many world records!

ReputationRep:
    cannabis in sport doesn't really carry a drugs ban, more like you're an idiot, you should be a role model we'll give you a slap on the wrists.

ReputationRep:
    That explains why Michael Phelps broke so many world records!
    :yep:

Trained by Howard Marks that man was.

ReputationRep:
    TBH if I was getting paid the type of money that they do, then not doing any drugs isn't really too much to ask is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    TBH if I was getting paid the type of money that they do, then not doing any drugs isn't really too much to ask is it?
    The reason I started this thread was because I read in the Times about a rugby club that deliberately set up a drugs test the night after a big party to celebrate the team winning. A lot of sportsman don't make an awful lot either.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I started this thread was because I read in the Times about a rugby club that deliberately set up a drugs test the night after a big party to celebrate the team winning. A lot of sportsman don't make an awful lot either.
    Premiership Rugby players however, do.

Also, bear in mind that they weren't banned for doing drugs. They were banned for refusing to be tested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeon)
    Premiership Rugby players however, do.
    So because they earn a lot of money they lose the right to have a private life?

ReputationRep:
    So because they earn a lot of money they lose the right to have a private life?
    Where did I say that?

You said they don't make much money, I corrected you. Where drug testing is concerned, the wage should have nothing to with it.

Everyone is entitled to a private life, but the issues arise when that private life affects your work life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeon)
    Where did I say that?

You said they don't make much money, I corrected you. Where drug testing is concerned, the wage should have nothing to with it.

Everyone is entitled to a private life, but the issues arise when that private life affects your work life.
    Of course they do. If it is showing in your work that you are doing anything detrimental to yourself outside of life you should get helped/fired, I don't see why drugs should be singled out.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they do. If it is showing in your work that you are doing anything detrimental to yourself outside of life you should get helped/fired, I don't see why drugs should be singled out.
    How can you do anything detrimental to yourself outside of life? By a miracle?

Drugs aren't singled out. Companies and sports bodies also don't like their employees doing other things, such as activities that get you a criminal record, striking your colleagues, fiddling expenses, or bringing the team/association/company into disrepute. They probably class drugs in the latter category.

It's a shame that a bunch of Bath rugby players have been banned from playing for 9 months because of cocaine use. It's not performance enhancing - they should be allowed to make that decision in their private life.

Then again, even though it's wrong that its a crime, it IS illegal at the moment. Even if a law is awful, it should still be enforced. I just hope that in our generation people get over this obsession with drugs being a crime, because it's not a criminal issue. People are slowly beginning to realise it though.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good reason not to allow people to use drugs on the job, not outside of work though. I mean how many of their employees turn up with a stonking hangover a couple of times a week? A lot no doubt. To be honest i'd rather the people making important things had been using recreational drugs rather than alcohol.
    Many companies also test for alcohol, I know that Network Rail, for example, do random drug and alcohol tests and if you've been out drinking the night before and there is still some in your system then you will fail the test and automatically lose your job. So no you can't go in with a hangover either.

The thing with drugs is that there is no standard unit of strength so there is no way of knowing if they are truly out of your system or not without a drug test. Some drugs will still show up in your system even after weeks. So the policy is the same with alcohol, any in your system and you're out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How can you do anything detrimental to yourself outside of life? By a miracle?

Drugs aren't singled out. Companies and sports bodies also don't like their employees doing other things, such as activities that get you a criminal record, striking your colleagues, fiddling expenses, or bringing the team/association/company into disrepute. They probably class drugs in the latter category.
    I meant as in outside of work life, I just checked and noticed that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chew)
    Many companies also test for alcohol, I know that Network Rail, for example, do random drug and alcohol tests and if you've been out drinking the night before and there is still some in your system then you will fail the test and automatically lose your job. So no you can't go in with a hangover either.

The thing with drugs is that there is no standard unit of strength so there is no way of knowing if they are truly out of your system or not without a drug test. Some drugs will still show up in your system even after weeks. So the policy is the same with alcohol, any in your system and you're out.
    That's because if you have alcohol still in your system it will make you a danger,because you are still under the influence. The drug test is to see if you have used it recently. I in no way would mind them testing people to see if they were stoned on the job or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    That's because if you have alcohol still in your system it will make you a danger,because you are still under the influence. The drug test is to see if you have used it recently. I in no way would mind them testing people to see if they were stoned on the job or whatever.
    How would you tell when they had taken it though?

I could have smoked 20 joints last week and have the same amount in my system as if I'd smoked one this morning.

If its in your system you will be regarded as being under the influence no matter what drug it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chew)
    How would you tell when they had taken it though?

I could have smoked 20 joints last week and have the same amount in my system as if I'd smoked one this morning.

If its in your system you will be regarded as being under the influence no matter what drug it is.
    I'm not sure if there are tests for it to tell if you are under the influence, or if you've just taken it recently. If you smoked pot 20 days ago it wouldn't be effecting you in anyway but it would still come up on the drug screen because they test the fat in your urine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.