Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!! Hoping to be heading to glasgow in september! When is the official starting date/ when do we see our halls/ when is freshers etc? It says on ucas the course starting date is the 14th but is freshers before this? Arghh so confused!!

ReputationRep:
    Freshers week is the 14th-18th September. When you get your results, you should get a welcome pack with a Fresher's week booklet, telling you what's on.

You should be able to move into halls on Friday 11th - the exact time will be in your offer of accommodation (which you'll get when your offer becomes unconditional.)

The majority of classes will start on Monday 21st I think but some courses might be different. You'll have to meet with your advisor of studies before that and book tutorials etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx- that makes it alot clearer! do you study in glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bella691)
    Thanx- that makes it alot clearer! do you study in glasgow?
    Yup, I'll be starting 3rd year medicine in September.

What are you hoping to study? Good luck with your results!

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to study dentistry next year! any advice with the uni etc/ workload/halls?

ReputationRep:
    On that note has anyone from either U of G or GCU received their welcome packs yet?

ReputationRep:
    nope not yet! i got a letter about health checks and stuff but no welcome pack as such

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to study dentistry next year! any advice with the uni etc/ workload/halls?
    I actually don't know any dentists due to the dental school not being on the main campus. What halls did you apply to? A lot of dentists seem to stay in Cairncross due to the location of it but there were a few in Murano too, where I stayed.

Uni wise, make the most of freshers week (free stuff!) and joining clubs and societies is a great way to meet people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anbell)
    On that note has anyone from either U of G or GCU received their welcome packs yet?

Anbell, I will be studying at University of Glasgow and havent recieved my welcome pack either. I am thinking to wait until the end of this week, and if i still dont hear from them to contact my department directly.

On a side note, have you sorted out your accommodation for the year yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammytheman)
    Anbell, I will be studying at University of Glasgow and havent recieved my welcome pack either. I am thinking to wait until the end of this week, and if i still dont hear from them to contact my department directly.

On a side note, have you sorted out your accommodation for the year yet?

Yes Sir,

that was easy enough to do early so I'm in one of the Private student Accommodation, Victoria Halls, just across the street from my university Glasgow Caledonian.

They seemed reasonable in terms of price etc. and compared to the UNITE had a much better reputation of getting things done in a good manner while maintaining a fair quality of space.

Should be good, hope you're not having problems with accommodation my big thing now is all the VISA requirements and then financial/banking arrangements when I get there.

ReputationRep:
    Getting the VISA is the easy part. Take a look at the following links.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/st...dent-visitors/

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...nf29pbsstudent

From the date of my application, it only took 5 days to get my VISA. Canadians do not usualy have problems. Just make sure you include all your supporting documents.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... the biggest thing is that the first time I did the online portion I didn't have the money i needed in my account so I've had to do it again and just stressed over it a little bit too much.

having said that I have my biometrics appointment on thursday and although it'll be a little bit longer for me since I'm in Vancouver, I expect to have my VISA shortly.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, when does your program start? When do you take off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    I actually don't know any dentists due to the dental school not being on the main campus. What halls did you apply to? A lot of dentists seem to stay in Cairncross due to the location of it but there were a few in Murano too, where I stayed.

Uni wise, make the most of freshers week (free stuff!) and joining clubs and societies is a great way to meet people.
    My first choice was queen margaret because i went over to open day and those were the ones they showed me and i thought they looked realy nice i think cairncross was second choice possibly! Anyway jus one more question- how long is the uni year- e.g approx how many weeks are you in halls? just trying to figure out finances atm! and is it paid in 3 installments? Thanx

ReputationRep:
    My first choice was queen margaret because i went over to open day and those were the ones they showed me and i thought they looked realy nice i think cairncross was second choice possibly! Anyway jus one more question- how long is the uni year- e.g approx how many weeks are you in halls? just trying to figure out finances atm! and is it paid in 3 installments? Thanx
    All that information is on the website:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/fees/

QM is £4,092.27, paid in 8 instalments.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.