Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can people really fall 'out of love'? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've read or heard people say 'We just fell out of love'. If people can 'fall out of love', was it really love in the first place? It just makes 'love' seem like such a lost cause - all the drama with finding your 'true love' only for it to be under some constant threat under which someday you might fall out of love with each other. :confused:

What are your thoughts? Is it possible to fall out of love?

ReputationRep:
    well unlike the majority of people these days i still believe in true love

if you "fall out of love" it was always just an infatuation imo, you can't fall out of true love.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, it wasnt the 'true love'. So far, I believe that it doesnt exist. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    No, if you "fall out" then it wasn't love at all...

ReputationRep:
    I think so. We weren't really designed to stay in love with one person forever, though I have quite a cynical attitude towards the whole thing- I mean after all 'love' isn't anything special, it's just a bunch of chemicals that funk with your emotions, I don't see why they can't just go away as easily as they came. I guess if you fall out of love with each other then it's not so much of a tragedy - I mean you'd both kinda want to move on. The messiness comes when ONE person falls out of love and the other's still fully in it, but if somebody changes or your life changes or even just your wants and needs, that can trigger a loss of feelings.

Short answer: Yes it is.

Also, 'true love' isn't real. It's just good luck.

ReputationRep:
    i think you can fall out of love, especially when you're younger.
    as people change alot as they're growing up

ReputationRep:
    i've never stopped loving anyone, so I'm in the camp that says if you can fall out of love then you weren't in love in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    i believe you can...there are plenty of people who are madly 'in love' with each other and get married but then end up in divorce...people change and their perception of love/ideal partner also does over time....

ReputationRep:
    Nope you can't.
    It's more about discovering the bitter truth about them and realising you were not IN LOVE with them ... it was just a phase, not more than attraction maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I think If a guy falls in love with a girl and then that person changes due to circumstances, like going to uni for instance, then the guy still loves who the girl used to be but not the who she has become... if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flight409)
    I think If a guy falls in love with a girl and then that person changes due to circumstances, like going to uni for instance, then the guy still loves who the girl used to be but not the who she has become... if that makes sense.

I guess i agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i think you can fall out of love, especially when you're younger.
    as people change alot as they're growing up
    This. I mainly agree because this is what happened to a good friend of mine. He had been with his girlfriend since they were 17, but as they got older, went to uni, then moved in together he changed and after four years together he realised he didn't love her anymore and then it was over.
    Had you asked him at any time over the first three years he would tell you that she was the one for him and they would be together forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)

if you "fall out of love" it was always just an infatuation imo, you can't fall out of true love.
    :eyebrow: Yes, it was just an infatuation. My mother broke up with my dad after 20 years of marriage... because it was just an infatuation. Idiot.

OP; people change. You can love the way someone is when they're 25, but they won't be the same person when they're 45, and you might not like what they become..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)

exactly this

ReputationRep:
    yeah that's possible as someone may change a lot and become a completely different person than the one you used to love and so you fall out of love.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably always still love them deep down, but no be in love.

ReputationRep:
    ok i dont know how anyone can ever say they've found 'true love'...i have been in love, no matter what anyone else says i know thats what it was. but one day i woke up and i just didnt feel it anymore.

its definitely possible, although might not happen to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. I just did. And there's no such thing as 'true love'. Love is just a state of mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    :eyebrow: Yes, it was just an infatuation. My mother broke up with my dad after 20 years of marriage... because it was just an infatuation. Idiot.

OP; people change. You can love the way someone is when they're 25, but they won't be the same person when they're 45, and you might not like what they become..

Hey that's just my opinion, no need to insult me. Well i don't know the situation your parents were in and im sorry to hear it, but i know plenty of couples who met when they were 20 and are still happily married at the age of like 70 or something. That is what i would call true love (the kind you don't fall out of)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.