Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can people really fall 'out of love'? Watch

ReputationRep:
    People change, situations change and so the love can change.

I wouldnt say you can just 'fall out' of it, which implies it is a sudden effect whereas losing love is usually a long and slow process.

ReputationRep:
    yes...yes they can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    Nope you can't.
    It's more about discovering the bitter truth about them and realising you were not IN LOVE with them ... it was just a phase, not more than attraction maybe.
    yes exactly.

ReputationRep:
    In simple terms, I believe you can fall out of love.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Falling out of love is easier than falling in love for me. Love is just temporary, so is life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flight409)
    I think If a guy falls in love with a girl and then that person changes due to circumstances, like going to uni for instance, then the guy still loves who the girl used to be but not the who she has become... if that makes sense.
    I agree with this too.

To be in true love, a couple need to change together and be constantly a part of each other's life - and trying to keep this happening when it becomes easier to drift apart.

To be honest, I think being 'in love' is kind of overrated. Being 'in love' is just a momentary phase of feeling high and giddy and excited, so yes I think you can 'fall out of love'. But 'love' on its own is something which is deeper and more powerful than that. Like the love a parent feels for a child, it's completely unconditional and irreplaceable.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience Yes you can 'fall out of love'

ReputationRep:
    I think you can fall out of love, people can change as they get older and the person you fell in love with doesn't exist in your eyes anymore. My first serious relationship ended because he fell out of love with me, we were together for 4.5 years but only lived together for 10 months and I changed a lot in that time and we argued more due to the changes.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. People change. Why is not feasible to fall out of love if you realise the person you're with has changed/isn't who you thought they were or you yourself have changed?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i think if you convince yourself that you've finally "fallen out of love" with your ex boyfriend/girlfriend then it was never love to begin with. I think a person only truly falls in love once in a lifetime and the people you think you love is just a feeling but you only can love one person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flight409)
    I think If a guy falls in love with a girl and then that person changes due to circumstances, like going to uni for instance, then the guy still loves who the girl used to be but not the who she has become... if that makes sense.
    Agree!

ReputationRep:
    well ive always said i fell out of love with my ex i was with for a year and a half... i thought it was love,he was my first proper bf and we never argued the whole time we were together and got along so well, but then a few months before we split up we had differences and just broke up on mutual terms... i guess it wasnt true love but it seemed like it at the time. so my excuse for us breaking up was that we fell out of love

ReputationRep:
    I think you can, I like to believe my parents loved each other,they married young and had kids young (at 19) and I think that over the period of the following 13yrs of marriage, they grew, matured and changed and eventually grew apart - this doesnt mean it wasnt love to start with. It was an amicable divorce and they remain on good terms, they just grew apart and they were no longer IN love.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently so..my ex did with me. But i think it depends on the type of person, and how much they give into a relationship on the emotional side of things

ReputationRep:
    Some love just doesn't last forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    I've read or heard people say 'We just fell out of love'. If people can 'fall out of love', was it really love in the first place? It just makes 'love' seem like such a lost cause - all the drama with finding your 'true love' only for it to be under some constant threat under which someday you might fall out of love with each other. :confused:

What are your thoughts? Is it possible to fall out of love?
    Personally I think you can fall outta love, but over a period of time and even then it's more of a 'distancing' than completely falling out of love.
    I just broke up with my boyfriend of 14 months and I still have a little bit of love for him and I think he's got the same for me..we're trying to stay friends which is nice I guess.
    Ultimately we only broke up because a)he's going to uni in september and b) we were both working like crazy and hardly saw each other and that made me kinda mad :L

I just wish we could get back together, he was amazing and as much as I hate saying this, I'll be jealous of his next girlfriend :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    well unlike the majority of people these days i still believe in true love

if you "fall out of love" it was always just an infatuation imo, you can't fall out of true love.
    Yes you can.

EDIT: I'm sure my dad was just infatuated with my mum for 20+ years. :rolleyes: Agree with the earlier poster that called you an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    well unlike the majority of people these days i still believe in true love

if you "fall out of love" it was always just an infatuation imo, you can't fall out of true love.
    I don't agree. you can find true love in a person, then after years you could just grow apart, like to enjoy different things, things you use to share in common can change, because people are constantly changing.

But this doesn't mean the true love you had at first wasn't really true love, just that the two people have changed over the years

Love = commitment.

You just stop being committed.

ReputationRep:
    What is this namby pamby smoochie poochie thread. Let's at least try and link this to some level of scientific value:- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5439242.ece

Actually that article is appalling but I can't find the original data anywhere.....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.