Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can people really fall 'out of love'? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arent*giraffes*amazing)
    What is this namby pamby smoochie poochie thread. Let's at least try and link this to some level of scientific value:- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5439242.ece

Actually that article is appalling but I can't find the original data anywhere.....
    Surely most will hope that they are in that 10% if they even are attracted to the idea of a long-term partner.

ReputationRep:
    No, because love doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    If they're not really in love and only say they are, then yeah. And if one of the people in the relationship dramatically changes so that they're not the same anymore, then i suppose they could then too .
    But if it's true love (i'm a believer :p:) then.. not really? They could disagree/fall out/fight etc, but deep down surely they'd still love each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayleyboop(:)
    If they're not really in love and only say they are, then yeah. And if one of the people in the relationship dramatically changes so that they're not the same anymore, then i suppose they could then too .
    But if it's true love (i'm a believer :p:) then.. not really? They could disagree/fall out/fight etc, but deep down surely they'd still love each other.
    What if they grow apart after time, people change as they get older, they will fall out of love, but doesn't mean what they had in the first place wasnt true

ReputationRep:
    love is a stupid term/idea anyway

ReputationRep:
    Difference between love and in love is...
    U can love your brother but you cant be in love with him. A divorced couple or ex-partners can still love each other but not be in love anymore. So that's like falling out of love.

ReputationRep:
    yes, definitely. to say you can't fall out of love, is like saying "people can't change". you fall in love with a person, a whole person, not one ineffable and constant bit of a person. if the person you fall in love with changes, then your feelings toward them can obviously change as well. that doesn't mean you weren't in love with them in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you can fall out of love. You may genuinely be in love with someone, but they can change for the worse, and when that happens, you are still in love with their 'former self', it's just that that person no longer exists.

Edit: which is why a lot of people cling onto an abusive partner because they believe that there is some remains of the former person inside, when in reality, it's not the case.

If you can fall in love, you can fall out of love, certainly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    I've read or heard people say 'We just fell out of love'. If people can 'fall out of love', was it really love in the first place? It just makes 'love' seem like such a lost cause - all the drama with finding your 'true love' only for it to be under some constant threat under which someday you might fall out of love with each other. :confused:

What are your thoughts? Is it possible to fall out of love?

Yes! It is possible to fall out of love. Have seen it happen due to distance and other changes. But if two people are stubborn enough to stick by each other through hard times, love is forever.

P.S. I think infatuation is BS. Its just a term people use to address the unreasonable feeling which DIDNT work out. If this unreasonable feeling does work out they call it LOVE!

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of the responses are varying because people have different ideas of what falling out of love means.

A lot of people are using the 'people change' argument as a reason that you can fall out of love, but for me that's not falling out of love. you can still love the person you fell for without having grown to love the changes. hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbell5)
    Personally, i think if you convince yourself that you've finally "fallen out of love" with your ex boyfriend/girlfriend then it was never love to begin with. I think a person only truly falls in love once in a lifetime and the people you think you love is just a feeling but you only can love one person.
    I'm not getting at you personally, but just this opinion in general confuses me. Why does love have some kind of destiny or limit when its nothing more than science and a state of mind? Its nothing magical or particularly abstract, there isn't any reason why you can't love 20 people over 1 person. There's no special criteria, no twist of meaning or fate, its just a whole bunch of dopamine. Yeah its a very powerful emotion that can affect many other emotions for a long time, but I don't see why a lifetime has a certain love quota. Also, has Bubbles de Milo said, falling out of love is exactly what happens to long term relationships or marriages that end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vilamb)

P.S. I think infatuation is BS. Its just a term people use to address the unreasonable feeling which DIDNT work out. If this unreasonable feeling does work out they call it LOVE!

Totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    What about that mystery jets song? Half in Love

what does that mean?

:iiam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashley.W.)
    What if they grow apart after time, people change as they get older, they will fall out of love, but doesn't mean what they had in the first place wasnt true
    That's sort of what i meant by if they change, they might fall out of love. It also applies for them growing older too, changing and growing apart. The point is that they're not the same people they were when they fell in love, and so fall out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can fall out of love. If you do it can never have been love in the first place. Even if the relationship ends, when you love someone a little bit of that stays with you forever, I envy those people that can turn a failed relationship into a brilliant friendship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    well unlike the majority of people these days i still believe in true love

if you "fall out of love" it was always just an infatuation imo, you can't fall out of true love.
    This ^
    You can never fall out of real love

ReputationRep:
    I think I fell out of love because the person I loved changed into a person I just didn't know. If that person you loved isn't there anymore, you can hardly love what is to remain? I couldn't, and yes, I fell out of love with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    I envy those people that can turn a failed relationship into a brilliant friendship.
    if it's any consolation sometimes it doesn't happen for a long time. Can take a while to work through the breakup before you being able to turn it in to something new.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.