Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are the BBC so desparate to make a race issue out of nothing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I was just watching a typical lefty BBC report on how horrible white British people are to those hard-done by foreign immigrants, but it really was a bit desparate in my opinion. The BBC supposedly had some undercover camera, and I think some reporter was posing as a landlord looking for an estate agent to market his property, and he said something to the effect of "I'd don't want any foreigner workers, no Poles or Portuguese".

And basically that was the whole report, they were trying to suggest that estate agents and landlords are now racist based on a silly little thing like this.

I don't see what's wrong with not wanting migrant workers renting, because, at the end of the day, due to their circumstances, they are the most likely to have 5-6 people in a little flat, which obviously increases the chance of damage, and general wear and tear. Also, in saying Poles and Portuguese, I wouldn't even say that was racist. It was simply an example of common migrant workers.

I don't see how saying that is any different to a Spanish person with a flat saying "I don't want any retired English or Germans renting for the half the year" which I'm sure does happen quite often.

I know the BBC are a bunch of spineless lefties, but I'm suprised there trying to make a big race issue out of something as trivial as this.
    It's usually the Muslim organisations (the Muslim Council of Britain, for instance) making "race issues" out of nothing; not the BBC.

ReputationRep:
    american media is even more racist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    well if they are worth it why not, but why moan about one group, when their are people on 20 times that amount, you can look at every cost the bbc makes and go, well why do they spend that amount, they don't have to, cost to show Wimbledon every year, or F1 or match of the day, then the funding of all their radio stations, internet, iplayer

if its worth the cost then why not

off this note(not aimed at you, more at the thread), i can the see the BBC has a left winged view on things, if you don't like it turn it over, you have sky news to watch
    License fee payers expect value for money - they are forced to handover £140 a year afterall. It's not good enough to be hiring the likes of GN on bumper salaries, from a free-to-air station as well! That's ridiculous. These public organisations are riddled with obscene salaries and pension pots. And they try claiming they could get paid the same elsewhere! Commercial tv stations are on their deathbeds.

My view on the BBC is to do away with it. The textbook motive of providing public programming will always be abused. £140 a year is disgustingly high.

(Original post by robinson999)
    off this note(not aimed at you, more at the thread), i can the see the BBC has a left winged view on things, if you don't like it turn it over, you have sky news to watch
    I don't mind the bias, I mind paying for the bias.

ReputationRep:
    Actually sit down and pick their cast/employees/participants based on race, religion and background? For example, do you think the BBC sit down and say 'Okay, we need to make sure we have at least two people of South Asian descent, two of Afro-Caribbean descent, a majority of working-class individuals, a Muslim (and so on) within this programme to ensure it is diverse' and actually choose the cast/employees/participants mainly based on their race, religion and background rather than purely for their merits or potential for entertainment?

If this is so, I just find it quite bizarre.

Or is it all a coincidence, this never actually happens and people who believe it to occur are paranoid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodstandards)
    So what if they are? I'm sick and tired of people stereotyping daily mail readers. You can't base you're arguments purely on the fact that you're opponent is of conservative disposition. That's attacking the person not the argument. It's irrelevant.

As far as biased reporting goes the guardian is just as bad if not worse because it allows this lame duck government to get away with crimes they should have been prosecuted for long ago.

The Iraq War and it's consequences for our troops and the iraqi people? Liberal? Don't make me laugh.

If you asked the average person in the street these days you would realise they have adopted a more conservative outlook since the recession took hold.

While things are rosey people will put up with unlimited immigration and infinite handouts to those undeserving. However, The moment the tide turns and they realise they're money is paying for other people's luxury is the moment they will coincidentally forget their liberal values.
    Damn right. I'm ******* fed up with all these immigrants coming here with no limitations and the Governments giving them all the money they want. I know this guy who came from India who doesn't have a job and is living in a ******* mansion. Guess who pays? WE DO!

ReputationRep:
    The BBC should be got rid of anyway. I would go much further than the Tories in just sorting out radio 1. I agree with Piers Morgan that the American system of networks competing for ratings is the way to go. The BBC is not what it used to be.Apart from Top gear it is dross.The News as we all know is completely biased towards a centre left viewpoint. They also are in my view sticking their oar in too much in issues such as Europe ,race and US politics where they are being opinionated.

That is fine on one level but we should not be paying a licence fee for an opinionated broadcasting corporation and their should be more choice. Iam not forced to buy the guardian so why should I be forced to pay a licence fee to watch TV?

ReputationRep:
    "I'd don't want any foreigner workers, no Poles or Portuguese".
    I bet if Ronaldo turned up he would change his tune:p:

I didnt know there were many poor migrant Portugese in Britain?

I thought it was mostly Eastern Europeans

ReputationRep:
    I was just watching a typical lefty BBC report on how horrible white British people are to those hard-done by foreign immigrants, but it really was a bit desparate in my opinion. The BBC supposedly had some undercover camera, and I think some reporter was posing as a landlord looking for an estate agent to market his property, and he said something to the effect of "I'd don't want any foreigner workers, no Poles or Portuguese".

And basically that was the whole report, they were trying to suggest that estate agents and landlords are now racist based on a silly little thing like this.

I don't see what's wrong with not wanting migrant workers renting, because, at the end of the day, due to their circumstances, they are the most likely to have 5-6 people in a little flat, which obviously increases the chance of damage, and general wear and tear. Also, in saying Poles and Portuguese, I wouldn't even say that was racist. It was simply an example of common migrant workers.

I don't see how saying that is any different to a Spanish person with a flat saying "I don't want any retired English or Germans renting for the half the year" which I'm sure does happen quite often.

I know the BBC are a bunch of spineless lefties, but I'm suprised there trying to make a big race issue out of something as trivial as this.
    Exactly, I agree. It seems petty this, to create a race issue out of nothing. What your saying true...instead of bring a race issue, look at the reason why...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    Good post.

Most people don't care about racism anymore because it just gets banded about too much. I reckon police officers get called racist virtually everyday for doing their job, case in point that american police officer who arrested the college lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    I've generally found the BBC to be decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)
    It's not racist, it's a statistic caused by each race, if you want to rent out a house to a peruvian and come back to a house that looks like the trash is holding it up then be my guest.
    Judge them upon meeting them rather than basing it on a statistical stereotype that could have been outdated years ago.

ReputationRep:

because they are against the BNP and its rise

ReputationRep:
    if the BBC happy to show images and footages of China 20-30years back,it's fine..because locking one's self up in one's own fantasy land wounld not hurt others but one's self..and we learnt that the hard way in 1840 and we shall never ever forget...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.