Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been searching around a lot, but I can't get hold of minute-by-minute data which I need for an algorithm I'm writing at the moment. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get hold of this data? I'm a student so that might help...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    I've been searching around a lot, but I can't get hold of minute-by-minute data which I need for an algorithm I'm writing at the moment. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get hold of this data? I'm a student so that might help...
    Have you googled this?

Doubt you'll get it for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Have you googled this?

Doubt you'll get it for free.
    I've been googling all afternoon... the only thing I can get so far is EOD data which isn't so useful... Surely students can get this for free or at least near-free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    I've been googling all afternoon... the only thing I can get so far is EOD data which isn't so useful... Surely students can get this for free or at least near-free?
    I dunno - wouldn't your university be able to help you out in that case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    minute by minute data of what?
    FTSE 100, DJIA 30, etc.

Doubt you'll get it free.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to open an account with somebody and then you will need to suck that data out from their API (if they offer it). Consider Interactive Brokers, their API is alright, a bit messy, but it works.

If you are writing an algorithm to trade for you, you might want to consider jumping into FX and looking for an MT4 demo account. MT4 does a lot of the donkey work which makes life a bit easier.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.digitallook.com/

but you'd need to get to the API.

ReputationRep:
    does your uni have bberg/datastream/reuters?

ReputationRep:
    Bloomberg is your friend for this one. Fairly expensive though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody87)
    Bloomberg is your friend for this one. Fairly expensive though!
    Currently there's a free trial available, as lots of interns here have signed up for accounts. However I'm certain you'd need to have a BBG terminal installed to get any use out of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.