Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Half marathon clashes with Fresher's Fortnight! Watch

ReputationRep:
    My half-marathon is on 27th Sept, half way through fresher's fortnight, and I'm pretty worried I'm not going to have the stamina to finish after all the late nights or alcohol :/
    I'm going uni on the south coast, and I'll have my car to travel back up to London the night before for the race...

What I'm asking is how is the best way to approach the run?
    I'm going to sign up to the uni gym asap, and hopefully get a 10miler or so on a treadmill on the Tuesday beforehand, but besides this I won't exercise at all to rest my muscles...
    How can I ease the problem? :/

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to shave a few seconds off your time mate.... a fortnight to run a half marathon!

ReputationRep:
    i'm not so worried about freshers week, i'm more worried about your training ideas.

it is already august havent you done any running? training for a half marathon on a treadmill?!?!?! what are you thinking ?

destined to fail.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I would say that if you are going to be very active during the week leading up to your run, I would consider a shorter run than 10 miles 5 days prior to your race. Reading your post it's ambiguous as to what training you have done so far. Do you have much running under your belt?

ReputationRep:
    Surely, surely you've run before.

I started running in 2002 and did my first half marathon last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Surely, surely you've run before.

I started running in 2002 and did my first half marathon last year.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, and for sidetracking the thread, but were you the guy I was PMing a year or so back, about tri bikes? :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, and for sidetracking the thread, but were you the guy I was PMing a year or so back, about tri bikes? :bigsmile:
    Probably not, since I've never done a tri. I'm not a massive swimmer :sad:

Did you get a good tri bike anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I did not, decided to focus solely on the running for a while. Looking at next summer at the earliest I think before I go for the tri - as a poor student it would be tough to splash as much cash as I'd want!

ReputationRep:
    Just don't drink if your that worried.

I skipped out on my 18th birthday this year to run the london marathon! Missing a few drinking times isn't the end of the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsoh?)
    Just don't drink if your that worried.

I skipped out on my 18th birthday this year to run the london marathon! Missing a few drinking times isn't the end of the world!
    ^^ This... I ran my first half marathon this year the morning after Dublin Pride. You don't *have* to drink!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    Firstly I would say that if you are going to be very active during the week leading up to your run, I would consider a shorter run than 10 miles 5 days prior to your race. Reading your post it's ambiguous as to what training you have done so far. Do you have much running under your belt?
    Oh I left the training schedule out - I'm not worried about that though.
    Basically, it consists of 3 short 4mile runs a week and 1 long one, at the moment a 9miler, raising to 10mile next week.

And whoever said about treadmilling before a race, I know it's not ideal, but my uni is unknown territory so I'd rather not get lost in the area

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.