Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous!! The figures are deliberately chosen to make them look as large as possible and even if a GP is managing to earn over £300,000 they would have to be be doing an awful lot of work to manage it. Also GPs tend to be partners in PRIVATE practices which are then commisionned by the NHS PCTs they are in effect business people and i doubt the Daily Fail has a problem with a businessman earning that much! It is much more worrying that some "journalist" got paid to write that faecal matter! And that around 2.2million people are paying each day to read it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Thirdly, I pay a lot of tax
    Erm, no you don't. You're a student so I doubt you earn enough to fall into the 20% rate of tax.

ReputationRep:
    Good for the GPs.
    Now lets have a bit more for nurses and other health professionals, take it from the finance wasters' bonuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    A good GP is worth their own weight in gold and they should be seen by the public as such.

I don't think anyone 'deserves' such a large salary. You can earn a gigantic salary if you work in the private sector, but as an employees of the state they do not 'earn' anything, they provide a service. A salary much higher than 100k (that would still put them in the top 1% of earners) is unecessarily large and a waste of taxpayers money. I don't think a salary of 100k would put people off being a GP.

Also according to my calculations:

Gold = £20,000 per Kg

Average weight of GP = 70Kg

Worth of weight in gold: £1.4m

Years of work ~ 35

Giving a final salary of £40,000 per annum. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    I don't think anyone 'deserves' such a large salary. You can earn a gigantic salary if you work in the private sector, but as an employees of the state they do not 'earn' anything, they provide a service. A salary much higher than 100k (that would still put them in the top 1% of earners) is unecessarily large and a waste of taxpayers money. I don't think a salary of 100k would put people off being a GP.

Gold = £20,000 per Kg

Years of work ~ 35

Epic calculation by the way..... but...

Do services not have varying values? Also do you really feel you could give your kids the best possible start on 100k a year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)

Gold = £20,000 per Kg

Years of work ~ 35

:hmmm: Damn engineers...:p: Seriously, that was really awesome :yep: One thing I didn't make clear at all in my previous post was that I agree that £100,000 is a pretty brilliant salary and it doesn't need to be much higher than that, certainly not £380,000!! Although the Daily Fail never fails to disappoint :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Also do you really feel you could give your kids the best possible start on 100k a year?
    Hell yes! My mum will never see that much money in her life and my kids are going to be so bloody lucky. Don't think I won't be reminding them what it was like for me growing up [nag nag nag]. A doctors wage is more than enough to live on and provide for a family, especially compared to the average salaries of people in this country. Whether it is enough for what is expected of them is for another thread.

ReputationRep:
    This is BS, GPs (at least the vast majority) don't earn anywhere near this much. They still typically earn less than those in most other highly development nations. Why do people even bother to post links to things from the Daily Mail?

(Original post by munro90)
    Ridiculous!! The figures are deliberately chosen to make them look as large as possible.
    The Daily Mail manipulating figures? You'd better have some proof to back that up it's a pretty shocking accusation.

:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. 50% goes back to society.

GPs probably have one of the most honourable jobs.

I really don't see an issue with this. If there are any people who deserve the money, it's them and the others in the industry, dentists, surgeons, etc. However the issue would be more serious if we didn't have a government run health system. Exploiting the health of the people for money is plain unethical. This is not an issue in this country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    The Daily Mail manipulating figures? You'd better have some proof to back that up it's a pretty shocking accusation.

:mmm:

(Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Yeah. 50% goes back to society.

GPs probably have one of the most honourable jobs.

I really don't see an issue with this. If there are any people who deserve the money, it's them and the others in the industry, dentists, surgeons, etc. However the issue would be more serious if we didn't have a government run health system. Exploiting the health of the people for money is plain unethical. This is not an issue in this country
    Very well said. I'm of the opinion that public service workers (teachers, doctors, nurses etc.) are about 4.5 or 4.6 million times more rewarding of large salaries than TV 'personalities', footballers, YBAs, supermodels and so on and so forth.

ReputationRep:
    This sort of article just gets right on my nerves :rolleyes:

Misrepresentation, much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel2160)
    GPs are earning up to £380,000 a year... and £200 an hour for work they used to do for free

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0NDoy1v1Z

Thoughts on this.....
    Daily Fail.

ONE GP earned 380k.

Why shouldn't GPs be paid at a higher rate for unsocial hours? Who the hell would work these hours for free?

When GPs weren't paid for these hours, there weren't enough med graduates wanting to become GPs.

GPs work hard and deal with **** from people, they deserve a decent salary and the average GP salaries are not excessive, nor are they near 300k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Daily Fail.

ONE GP earned 380k.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eskamulia)
    What exactly are they getting paid to do? Prescribe paracetamol to every patient they see? This baffles me o.O
    Yes, in fact why even bother with doctors? I'm sure a trained monkey could do a better job.

-----

Daily Fail is hateful. If GPs are earning 380k for such an easy job, why don't YOU go to med school and train to become a GP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    :yep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you're paying premiership footballers tens of millions a year, I think it's perfectly fair to pay GPs a massive salary - even though £380k is a bit obscene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    because they generate money. if someones particular participation in a film results in world wide grossing revenue of 500mill $ for the film, then why shouldnt they get paid 20mill $? clueless people like you need to grow up and realize how the world works.
    clueless?

can you please point out to me the football teams in the premier league that are NOT in debt?

I understand the basic principles of supply and demand although thanks for the lecture. I am just saying that if cretinous celebrities (of which im sure you are a fan) get so much money for doing nothing important why shouldnt doctors/nurses?

By your ethics doctors should be paid 15k per year because they do not generate any money? well you sir are the problem with this country. The moronic attitude that the people on the celebrity pedestals should get paid all the money is flawed. If all wages were generated on how much money that person made we would end up with no army, navy, nhs etc etc and this is my point.

You also make the point of a film star getting paid 20million but whats wrong with them being paid 10 million and the rest going to the lower paid people in the chain?

I would much rather see a surgeon get paid 200k per week than some personality craved footballer.

I see no reason for you to insult my original opinion hence my abrupt reply. If i am clueless then please help the "non clueless" people, the ones that do not contribute a lot to society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    I don't trust the Daily Fail. :nah: :facepalm:
    its in the Daily Telegraph.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.