Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GPs are earning up to £380,000 a year... and £200 an hour for work Watch

ReputationRep:
    quite right, DJ.

at band 8, matrons take a fair bit longer to get to than sisters, as do ward managers. early thirties at best.

to do that requires a special kind of candidate! i dont know anyone that good in my med school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    The daily mail makes me laugh. Is this 380k figure including taxes?
    I don't know but it most likely to be before the wage of other staff has been paid with it also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    I don't know but it most likely to be before the wage of other staff has been paid with it also.
    If it is without tax then you can cut that figure a heck of a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    If it is without tax then you can cut that figure a heck of a lot.
    Well before we get to tax, there's wages, employer's NI, leccy, maybe gas, cleaning, waste disposal, phone bills, petrol and other travel for visits. Then the partner can take a wage - from that they will pay tax, NI, insurance, college membership and probably BMA before they consider what we call a 'take home' wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Well before we get to tax, there's wages, employer's NI, leccy, maybe gas, cleaning, waste disposal, phone bills, petrol and other travel for visits. Then the partner can take a wage - from that they will pay tax, NI, insurance, college membership and probably BMA before they consider what we call a 'take home' wage.
    Exactly, just another instance of the media twisting things to what they want to hear.

Are any of you guys even aware that a bunch of doctors complained to the press complaints commision about the incendiary mis-reporting of these figures and as a result the mail is being investigated..?

The figures are utter rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Are any of you guys even aware that a bunch of doctors complained to the press complaints commision about the incendiary mis-reporting of these figures and as a result the mail is being investigated..?

The figures are utter rubbish.
    No, I hadn't heard that at all. Was it on the news?

ReputationRep:
    Why do newspapers hate doctors so much? It aggravates me. They love waiting until a doctor makes even a minor slip up then they make a huge deal out of it, or emphasising their 'unfair' wages. I'd like to see the journalists put that much time and effort into their pissing training. Doctors deserve every penny they get.

ReputationRep:
    So what? You get a number of lawyers earning in excess of £1,000,000 per year!

(Then again, lawyers are already generally hated and medical practitioners are traditionally respected).

Like most, I question the nature of the article. Daily Fail, one GP earning £380,000 and a handful above £300,000. Surely isn't representitive of the whole nation's doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cchilstonev1)
    Why do newspapers hate doctors so much? It aggravates me. They love waiting until a doctor makes even a minor slip up then they make a huge deal out of it, or emphasising their 'unfair' wages. I'd like to see the journalists put that much time and effort into their pissing training. Doctors deserve every penny they get.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    If they only earned £10 an hours id still love to study medcine

(Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    No, I hadn't heard that at all. Was it on the news?
    yup, but it doesn't make for a big article.

ReputationRep:
    avin to learn a load of tripe and work in a pissful job that few peeple would want to do deserves a decent payout, IMHO.

or else we'd all be running yoga classes and painting pictures for a living (what a nice life that would be ahh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    If they only earned £10 an hours id still love to study medcine
    Welcome to Foundation Year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cchilstonev1)
    Exactly. They drove poor old Shipman to suicide!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    Exactly. They drove poor old Shipman to suicide!
    While Wakefield sits happy...

(Original post by Gizmo!)
    ahaa, so do nursing then.

become a sister before you could become a GP, and earn £40,000 a year.

i'm not smart enough to get to sister level, personally.

i've not met a sister on 40k yet...would make nursing more attractive tho, saw a post for an acting band 6 sister on a ward for just 3 years at least experience at band 5, and if that would mean going up to 40k..nursing wouldn't have such big drop out rates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cup of Inspiration)
    i've not met a sister on 40k yet...would make nursing more attractive tho, saw a post for an acting band 6 sister on a ward for just 3 years at least experience at band 5, and if that would mean going up to 40k..nursing wouldn't have such big drop out rates
    IIRC, 40K is much more than a simple ward sister gets, it'd be at the very top end of the Ward Manager pay scale and about right for a Matron or Nurse Consultant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cup of Inspiration)
    yeah i said earlier about the wage.

although i dont necessarily agree wif your other points, since the drop out rates arent to do wif not getting 40,000 specifically.

we get used to calling the matron 'sister' on our ward, and i ad her in mind when i quoted, my mistake earlier as i said (she 'ates being called matron or MM)

(Original post by Gizmo!)
    yeah i said earlier about the wage.

although i dont necessarily agree wif your other points, since the drop out rates arent to do wif not getting 40,000 specifically.

we get used to calling the matron 'sister' on our ward, and i ad her in mind when i quoted, my mistake earlier as i said (she 'ates being called matron or MM)

you actually call your matrons 'matron' and sisters 'sister'

old school, i just call them by their first name :dontknow:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.