Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiiiiiii

Has anyone who has applied for Physics heard anything from Univ (or any other college at Oxford) regarding interviews?

Thanks,
    H x

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm haven't applied for physics, but I have applied for Psychology at Univ College, Oxford. I haven't received anything regarding interviews since the letter about accomodation arrangements IF you are invited.
    Hope this helps even though its not the same subject!
    Sparkly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly)
    Hi! I'm haven't applied for physics, but I have applied for Psychology at Univ College, Oxford. I haven't received anything regarding interviews since the letter about accomodation arrangements IF you are invited.
    Hope this helps even though its not the same subject!
    Sparkly
    hiya,

thanks for replying, hopefully we'll get something soon! (fingers crossed)

H

ReputationRep:
    Hi again!
    Just wondering, but what time did you say that you would arrive if invited for an interview? For psychology, you have to report by 2 pm, but I wasn't sure if you're supposed to get there as early as possible!
    Also, what other colleges were you allocated?
    Mine were Somerville and Balliol
    :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi again!
    Just wondering, but what time did you say that you would arrive if invited for an interview? For psychology, you have to report by 2 pm, but I wasn't sure if you're supposed to get there as early as possible!
    there's no point arriving earlier, there'll be nothing for you to do.

ReputationRep:
    I've been called for interview at Trinity for physics....
    They say that you might not recieve the 'call out' until a week before though, plenty of time left, I'd have thought they'd interview pretty much every applicant for physics anyway, other than those blatantly not suited.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again!
    I have to be there for 8pm but I will probably arrive on a train that pulls in at about 6pm (I have had a few bad experiences with Virgin trains!), I should be in Univ by around 6.30pm and I put 7pm down on that letter I sent about what time I would arrive etc

I have been allocated Corpus Christi and New College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emporium)
    I've been called for interview at Trinity for physics....
    They say that you might not recieve the 'call out' until a week before though, plenty of time left, I'd have thought they'd interview pretty much every applicant for physics anyway, other than those blatantly not suited.
    I thought that as Physics isnt exactly the most oversubscribed course, but I was surprised at the number of posts on this site about outright rejections... Ill be much more relaxed when I get a letter! Have you been revising much for this maths test? I havent done further maths or anything so I am a bit worried :-s

H

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsboy)
    I thought that as Physics isnt exactly the most oversubscribed course, but I was surprised at the number of posts on this site about outright rejections... Ill be much more relaxed when I get a letter! Have you been revising much for this maths test? I havent done further maths or anything so I am a bit worried :-s

H
    I guess as you don't know what beasts are going to come up on this maths test, your best bet is to revise everything, or nothing, i choose the latter I don't do further maths either, so basically I've conceded to the fact that I'm gonna **** up the maths. Seen as 1 of the 2 interviews is solely maths, outlook looks bleak hehe. Im not too bothered about it all though, I applied to Oxford about 4 days before the deadline because some mates talked me into it heh, can't say no to living and eating for free in a 16th Century college for 3 days though can I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emporium)
    I guess as you don't know what beasts are going to come up on this maths test, your best bet is to revise everything, or nothing, i choose the latter I don't do further maths either, so basically I've conceded to the fact that I'm gonna **** up the maths. Seen as 1 of the 2 interviews is solely maths, outlook looks bleak hehe. Im not too bothered about it all though, I applied to Oxford about 4 days before the deadline because some mates talked me into it heh, can't say no to living and eating for free in a 16th Century college for 3 days though can I?
    i guess not! well, i thought the other way round - my interviews are probably going to be poo so im trying to make it up in the exam! Bit of P1/P2/S1 should be enough to get at least the basics! Should be a fun 3 days I suppose!

H

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who has applied for Physics at Oxford heard anything from Univ College regarding interviews yet? There must be someone, the interviews are in a weeks time!!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for physics at hertford. If you are going to revise for the maths test, they can only ask you questions from the core mathmetics syllabus, which is basically P1,P2, and P3. So I am only gonna revise those ones. Also, there is a practice test that it might be worth doing. http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissio...page=MathsTest

It is pretty tricky, fairly standard maths, but just in an unusual format.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsboy)
    Hiiiiiii

Has anyone who has applied for Physics heard anything from Univ (or any other college at Oxford) regarding interviews?

Thanks,
    H x
    to young to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    I have an interview for physics at hertford. If you are going to revise for the maths test, they can only ask you questions from the core mathmetics syllabus, which is basically P1,P2, and P3. So I am only gonna revise those ones. Also, there is a practice test that it might be worth doing. http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissio...page=MathsTest

It is pretty tricky, fairly standard maths, but just in an unusual format.
    isnt question 4 on that sample from S1 though? I know its a fairly easy question anyway but its outside P1/P2/P3... I am trying to get through P1/P2/S1 before sunday, I havent seen P3 before (Im sure theyll work that out as I havent done further maths)

H

ReputationRep:
    isn't p3 compulsory for A2 maths? You can't have A2 maths without it. Hence the integration by parts on the paper

ReputationRep:
    I havent done p3 maths since im taught it next term, thus it is possible to be asked questions on p3 in an oxford physics interview and not of been taught the specific topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    isn't p3 compulsory for A2 maths? You can't have A2 maths without it. Hence the integration by parts on the paper
    i havent done P3 yet because im still doing my A2s this year, we start teaching in January, ready for the June exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    I havent done p3 maths since im taught it next term, thus it is possible to be asked questions on p3 in an oxford physics interview and not of been taught the specific topic.
    i think they bear this in mind though, as they cant expect people who havent done p3 to get the answers to the questions...?

ReputationRep:
    hope so otherwise am just a little bit screwed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    hope so otherwise am just a little bit screwed!
    ha ha ha ha me too! which college are you applying to?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.