Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer is that you will not get admitted everywhere. Different unis look for different people. It's got nothing to do with rejecting upper middle class people, absolutely nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littletinysmall)
    Fair enough ... I didn't assume it was, I was hypothesizing.

"Different unis look for different people"

So does anyone know what kind of people it is that UCL are looking for then?
    I sorta see where ur coming from coz most of the oxbridge (economists) got rejected from UCL and LSE. It could be that they almost immediately reject a candidate if they receive an early application as they know that ur applying to Oxbridge and are just wasting their time. Then again this also depends on the course and how strong ur application is overall.

ReputationRep:
    English at UCL is highly oversubscribed and competitive, it's difficult to even get an interview. What are you applying to do littletinysmall?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough ... I didn't assume it was, I was hypothesizing.

"Different unis look for different people"

So does anyone know what kind of people it is that UCL are looking for then?
    a user here who applied in the previous cycle got an offer for English and just emphasised the strength of the PS. UCL do have a bit of a reputation for being unpredictable as to what they look for in PSs, so it's pretty hard to give an answer for that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    When i read UCL, i thought you meant Uefa Champions League. Not whatever your talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it would help to be predicted an A* in English for A level, perhaps an AEA too, and an amazing personal statement! So not too much pressure :P lol

ReputationRep:
    My friend does English, and I used to hang around with them a bit. Most of them are middle class so its not that, and a lot got rejected from Oxbridge (although thats the case in a lot of cases at UCL). I think your just unlucky, its seriously competitive, possibly even moreso than Oxbridge itself.

ReputationRep:

Oh, whats an AEA?
    Advanced Extension Award

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...ish/index.html

Might be worth talking to your teachers about? If you can cope with the extra pressure!

edit: You should be aware, if you do the AEA, a pass in it could form part of your offer, along with A*AA/whatever

ReputationRep:
    This seems to consolidate what I've been gathering so far ... it seems that with oxbridge, if you have top grades you will be offered the opportunity to "prove your worth" as it were, even with a fairly poor ps, through interview or whatever. Whereas maybe UCL are really scrutinising the ps.

I know it seems ignorant to assume that a uni of this prestige would discriminate students applying before the 15th, but the more I look into this the more, I'm sorry, there does seem to be a really clear pattern. So many candidates who get offers from oxbridge seem to get rejected from UCL, Bristol and KCL instantaneously. It's the speed with which these rejections occur that makes me think that something is up.
    ********. That's about as succinct as I can put it. In the last cycle of applications and users who've posted about their applications, there've been people who've applied to Oxbridge and attended interviews and what not, yet still get offers from these places.

And as many folks have said before, it's not in the university's interests to be rejecting these applications solely on the basis that they're likely to be applying for Oxbridge; Oxbridge reject around 4 out of every 5 applications they get, and these institutions would have to be ridiculously petty to be rejecting these 4 capable (let's just assume that most folks applying to Oxbridge are fairly capable) applications on the basis of some petty inferiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetedupet)
    Advanced Extension Award

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...ish/index.html

Might be worth talking to your teachers about? If you can cope with the extra pressure!

edit: You should be aware, if you do the AEA, a pass in it could form part of your offer, along with A*AA/whatever
    You can't do AEAs anymore; they've gone with the introduction of the A*.

OP, I wouldn't worry. I highly doubt UCL and the likes would reject you just because you applied before the Oxbridge deadline. Maybe you just wouldn't be what they were looking for, or they had other candidates they preferred, or they couldn't give everyone an offer (most probably this!).

ReputationRep:
    How annoying ... apparently this has been discontinued in light of the A*

I think there is some sort of personal project dissitation thing you can do now too? But I don't know what it is actually called and I can't find it!
    Extendedr Project, anddd you can't actually do it unless your school is offering it. So if they are, try and take it up, but if they're not, then you can't do it. Google it, AQA explain it quite clearly.

ReputationRep:
    i think oxford and cambridge tend to look at the entire application not just results not just the interview etc - they look at the whole of the candidate.

Whereas just off top unis, your Imperial, UCL, LSE etc try and be uber picky and set really hard tagets for things like GCSEs, or module results. For example i know people who have been told they have been rejected because they had less than 7A*s at GCSE or they had a B in one a level module or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by douchebagz)
    When i read UCL, i thought you meant Uefa Champions League. Not whatever your talking about.
    hahaha

FAIL!!:hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    Going back to the topic

I plan on applying to UCL, Cambridge, Imperial; the remaining two...meh

I really hope I UCL accept me cause thats where i've wanted to go since like 2 years ago

Its UCL that gave me the idea of what course I want to dov- plus i went on a taster course there and absolutely LOVED it

ReputationRep:
    Whoever negged me for having nothing to add to the thread, I must say well done for catching me after my sub ended. I was stating fact however so it's a good job your rep was moot.

Unis can't see who applies elsewhere, and UCL has its own standards and therefore doesn't need to consult either Oxford or Cambridge for advice on who to admit and who to reject.

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry if I repeated what someone may have posted, I did not have time to glance through that posts.

A good clue in my opinion is that they value diversity since they seem to take great pride that they have many nationalities at their university. Of course it may very well be that I am incorrect but that was the first impression I got when I saw who my fellow UCL fresher mates would be.

Once again, I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    I sorta see where ur coming from coz most of the oxbridge (economists) got rejected from UCL and LSE. It could be that they almost immediately reject a candidate if they receive an early application as they know that ur applying to Oxbridge and are just wasting their time. Then again this also depends on the course and how strong ur application is overall.
    I applied to Oxbridge and I got an offer from UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liljaforever)
    I did too - sorry to crash your cliché littletinysmall

No, seriously, 1) it is (should be) none of their business/they don't care where you apply (and they probably can't remember which applications arrived when anyway) and 2) I don't think that it matters when you apply as long as it's within the deadline...
    I won't be applying to Oxford or Cambridge, but would like to submit my application at the end of September for various reasons. Would this be a bad choice (considering that they seem to assume you're applying to Oxbridge), esp. since I'm not even applying to Oxbridge ?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to cambridge but still got offered a place by UCL...despite how oversubscribed history is. As long you show you're passion & suitability for their course...you'll be fine & have hope!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.