Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    They wanted some documents off me. I went down and showed them my passport and driving license and they keyed them in.

But when I got home it still says "awaiting further information".

Has anyone esle registered with a bank? How long does it take to verify the account.

And also I find it funny how hard it is to make a bank account. Have to show two types of "original ID".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Sparrow)
    They wanted some documents off me. I went down and showed them my passport and driving license and they keyed them in.

But when I got home it still says "awaiting further information".

Has anyone esle registered with a bank? How long does it take to verify the account.

And also I find it funny how hard it is to make a bank account. Have to show two types of "original ID".
    Each bank is different, some are instant some take a few to 14 days.

You state its funny how they ask for your ID.... this is simply for your safety. If they didnt ask, anybody could open an account in your name with your details to obtain credit fraudulently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Each bank is different, some are instant some take a few to 14 days.

You state its funny how they ask for your ID.... this is simply for your safety. If they didnt ask, anybody could open an account in your name with your details to obtain credit fraudulently.
    True say. But it's the 21st century no one has time to go to the bank and who has time to post important documents like a passport or a birth certificate what if they get lost in the post? And all my local banks have closed in the past year. I have to go to the city centre and even then the opening times are limited..

They need to implement a system which links up with the DVLA , passport system or other banks all online. For example you key in your license number, passport number, electoral number or they check you agaisnt another bank..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Also, banks legally need to verify the ID of all their customers, under the Money Laundering Regulations; unless you already hold an account with an institution, you should always expect to be asked for ID (usually a photo ID and one with your address) when opening a new account.

ReputationRep:
    You need two types of documents because they have to verify both your identity AND your address. So passport for ID, drivers license for address. Or Drivers licence for ID, utility bill for address etc.

They can't check you against a database - you need to prove that you've got access to the mail that goes to the address you want to register. Your address on a drivers license is one way because (I think) it's a legal requirement that the DVLA can trace you to that address. Address in your name on a utility bill is another way as it shows you're accessing your mail there, that's why it needs to be within the last 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    Illusionary you beat me to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR29KHS)
    You need two types of documents because they have to verify both your identity AND your address. So passport for ID, drivers license for address. Or Drivers licence for ID, utility bill for address etc.

They can't check you against a database - you need to prove that you've got access to the mail that goes to the address you want to register. Your address on a drivers license is one way because (I think) it's a legal requirement that the DVLA can trace you to that address. Address in your name on a utility bill is another way as it shows you're accessing your mail there, that's why it needs to be within the last 3 months.
    Still , this all could be done online.

Send me a letter at the address my license is registered to with a unique code to prove my address.(This way if someone stole you ID they would need to break into your house and steal your mail. ) Have a special anti money laundry database which stores various details or links to other government databases. Or a normal database between banks to make confirming your details a little easier . To reduce fraud even more if its this much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Still , this all could be done online.

Send me a letter at the address my license is registered to with a unique code to prove my address.(This way if someone stole you ID they would need to break into your house and steal your mail. ) Have a special anti money laundry database which stores various details or links to other government databases. Or a normal database between banks to make confirming your details a little easier . To reduce fraud even more if its this much of a problem.
    I'm pretty sure that they need to see original documents - photocopies would be incredibly easy to forge.

On both a practical and political level, I very much doubt there'd be any scope for a national database to be used to verify ID, and it wouldn't remove the legal necessity for banks to verify your identity to the extent that they're comfortable that you are who you say you are. What would stop you from just directing the bank to the entry of the person that you 'wanted' to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I'm pretty sure that they need to see original documents - photocopies would be incredibly easy to forge.

On both a practical and political level, I very much doubt there'd be any scope for a national database to be used to verify ID, and it wouldn't remove the legal necessity for banks to verify your identity to the extent that they're comfortable that you are who you say you are. What would stop you from just directing the bank to the entry of the person that you 'wanted' to be?
    Good points.

No matter what they do I could still open an account on your name. I just get your details and thats it . Break into your house or buy them off the internet. Heck just take them off the post man. Just need a statement less then three months old for some banks.

ReputationRep:
    Good points.

No matter what they do I could still open an account on your name. I just get your details and thats it . Break into your house or buy them off the internet. Heck just take them off the post man. Just need a statement less then three months old for some banks.
    Granted, getting 'proof' of address may not be that hard, but the photo ID would be more of a problem. Firstly, it's not (usually? ) that easy to get hold of someone's passport or driving licence (or similar), and secondly, the photo won't be of you!

Yes, some people manage 'identity theft' such as this, but unless the victim is somewhat careless, it's not exactly easy.

ReputationRep:
    Granted, getting 'proof' of address may not be that hard, but the photo ID would be more of a problem. Firstly, it's not (usually? ) that easy to get hold of someone's passport or driving licence (or similar), and secondly, the photo won't be of you!

Yes, some people manage 'identity theft' such as this, but unless the victim is somewhat careless, it's not exactly easy.
    The first bank I got with was Natwest. All they wanted was a statement less then 3 months old. But halifax wanted the fullwack.

ReputationRep:
    The first bank I got with was Natwest. All they wanted was a statement less then 3 months old. But halifax wanted the fullwack.
    Fair enough - that surprises me though. Have you or you family had any previous involvement with NatWest? I suppose they might also have relaxed the policy if it was an under 18 account (you don't mention when you opened that earlier account), though I can't really see what a strong justification for that would be...

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough - that surprises me though. Have you or you family had any previous involvement with NatWest? I suppose they might also have relaxed the policy if it was an under 18 account (you don't mention when you opened that earlier account), though I can't really see what a strong justification for that would be...
    My brother and dad are with them. But that shouldn't make a difference. I'm not sure. I'm over 18.

ReputationRep:
    My brother and dad are with them. But that shouldn't make a difference. I'm not sure. I'm over 18.
    You're right that it shouldn't make a difference, and I can't really explain why you weren't asked for more. For reference, this is NatWest's statement of the ID requirements policy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.