Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    would you say this board/spec. is more challenging than the AQA one? There are hardly any resources to cater for the WJEC course and places where I have looked even state that the WJEC include topics that none of the other main exam boards (OCR, AQA, Edexcel) include any more in the new syllabuses.

how does this course compare against your friends studying on the other boards (AQA in particular)?

is this more challenging/theory based?

what does the coursework task (unit 3) involve?

I would very much appreciate any info given to any of my questions. I'm trying to decide where to go for college and the schools im deciding between offer WJEC and the AQA chem. course.

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to pick the harder or easier option? :p:

I've had a reasonable look at the WJEC spec and it doesn't seem to be that different in terms of content to the edexcel spec. I've not seen any WJEC exams but I can't imagine that the difference would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)

I've had a reasonable look at the WJEC spec and it doesn't seem to be that different in terms of content to the edexcel spec. I've not seen any WJEC exams but I can't imagine that the difference would be great.
    the sample assessment materials is the only thing you'll have to go on I suppose.

I understand that the topics might be grouped differently and may come up in different order etc. etc. but is the style of questioning harder?

I want to go for the course that will prepare best for uni, without shooting myself down (a paradox it seems) :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prince_of_paupers)
    the sample assessment materials is the only thing you'll have to go on I suppose.

I understand that the topics might be grouped differently and may come up in different order etc. etc. but is the style of questioning harder?

I want to go for the course that will prepare best for uni, without shooting myself down (a paradox it seems) :p:
    Well I don't see anything that's too different - both boards tend to break their questions down into similar sized chunks to get candidates through them.

It won't really matter in the grand scheme of things which you choose, do you want to take chemistry to university level? If so you'll probably be looking at things outside of the A-level specification anyway (for interest sake).

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't see anything that's too different - both boards tend to break their questions down into similar sized chunks to get candidates through them.

It won't really matter in the grand scheme of things which you choose, do you want to take chemistry to university level? If so you'll probably be looking at things outside of the A-level specification anyway (for interest sake).
    cool, thanks for the reassurance

I most definitely am considering biology/biochemistry/chemistry at uni level. i might be considering medicine depending on if my GCSEs cut the mustard.

ReputationRep:

ever so sorry, but i made a mistkae with the boards. how does the WJEC compare with the AQA Chemistry one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prince_of_paupers)
    ever so sorry, but i made a mistkae with the boards. how does the WJEC compare with the AQA Chemistry one?
    Again, I don't really see a great deal of difference between the content. WJEC probably has a little bit more.

This forum is pretty quiet at this time of year, so I suggest you post a thread here to see what other A-level students think

ReputationRep:
    Again, I don't really see a great deal of difference between the content. WJEC probably has a little bit more.

This forum is pretty quiet at this time of year, so I suggest you post a thread here to see what other A-level students think
    A mod now :p: I am very impressed EVS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    A mod now :p: I am very impressed EVS
    Many thanks :hat2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.