Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They seem to offer a large bursary and theres no limit to how many students get them. Did anyone not get a bursary? If you did how much did you get?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a case of everyone getting them, but it's true they do offer a large amount of them, although they mostly seem to be tied to parent's income and A Level achievement. For example, I've been getting one for £2000 because I got 3 A's at A Level, but also because my parents earnings are in the lowest band' even though I don't do a priority course; the 3 A's policy covers everyone, regardless of course. So I presume someone who doesn't do a priority course, with their parents earning a high income and who doesn't get 3 A's at A Level won't get any form of bursary, although obviously certain courses will have their own rules etc.

ReputationRep:
    They must have changed policy regarding 3 A's then, as I got three A's and didnt get any bursary at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    They must have changed policy regarding 3 A's then, as I got three A's and didnt get any bursary at all.
    Is your house hold income below 17 thousand?

I found this on their site:

A Level grades
    If your household income is under £17,220 and you get three A grades you'll get a prior achievement bursary of £1,665 whatever you choose to study. If your household income is between £17,220 and £35,515 three A grades could entitle you to a prior achievement bursary of between £115 and £1,665.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citylover)
    I don't think it's a case of everyone getting them, but it's true they do offer a large amount of them, although they mostly seem to be tied to parent's income and A Level achievement. For example, I've been getting one for £2000 because I got 3 A's at A Level, but also because my parents earnings are in the lowest band' even though I don't do a priority course; the 3 A's policy covers everyone, regardless of course. So I presume someone who doesn't do a priority course, with their parents earning a high income and who doesn't get 3 A's at A Level won't get any form of bursary, although obviously certain courses will have their own rules etc.
    Oh right cool. Thanks for that.

I hope I get three A's now, I',m in the low income band + I am doing a priority subject. But I think I screwed up my last exams I might get AAB instead (the sad thing is I bet I'm only a few marks from that A)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's best to go for it, any extra cash will help! Btw did you do general studies? Because Sheffield accept that, surprisingly, my A in that got me my bursary because I only got AAB in my 3 main subjects! General rule for anyone applying to sheffield- do general studies lol

ReputationRep:
    i get £250 a year for doing maths.
    which is awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Sparrow)
    Is your house hold income below 17 thousand?

I found this on their site:

A Level grades
    If your household income is under £17,220 and you get three A grades you'll get a prior achievement bursary of £1,665 whatever you choose to study. If your household income is between £17,220 and £35,515 three A grades could entitle you to a prior achievement bursary of between £115 and £1,665.
    Ah that makes sense, although am kicking myself slightly as my family income went down a lot last year and I probably could have got a nice amount of bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    i get £250 a year for doing maths.
    which is awesome
    but you have to do maths, which sucks :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ah that makes sense, although am kicking myself slightly as my family income went down a lot last year and I probably could have got a nice amount of bursary.
    I'm going to be kicking myself more when I find out I got AAB, lost a potential £1500.

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 As and I didn't get any bursary. Parents' income was too high.

ReputationRep:
    I never got any money, because my parents earn too much, but they didn't give me very much of it! Certainly not as much as a government (or university) grant would have been I worked 60 hour weeks most holidays.

This country sucks sometimes, shouldn't make any difference how much money your parents earn, if you're clever enough to do a degree you should be clever enough to realise that you'll be earning more afterwards, so its worth getting into debt (or working all through the holidays) to do it.

Ridiculous system (but if you can take advantage of it, you really should).

ReputationRep:
    I get 1,200 per year doing Emglish and History on AAB with v.low income background
    I agree though they do tend to be quite generous here.
    Out of our flat of eight last year three of us get them. One for Maths and one for the 3 A's.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not getting one, because my grades are/will be too ****, and if there **** i might not even get into sheffield. i'm getting into debt though.

ReputationRep:
    when do you find out whether you get them?

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 A's but my parents income is 'too high' and I dont do a 'priority subject'...I'd say the majority of people don't get them!

ReputationRep:
    how do u know if u get them?? what are the priority subjects? does anyone know about if u did an access course instead of A-Levels??

ReputationRep:
    but you have to do maths, which sucks

Well physics sucks so much that they give me £750 a year to suffer it :p:

It was £250 per A for up to 3 A levels

http://www.shef.ac.uk/bursaries/ is the page with it all on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm entitled to a bursary of £430 apparently.....thats if student finance get their arses into gear :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstyJK)
    how do u know if u get them?? what are the priority subjects? does anyone know about if u did an access course instead of A-Levels??
    Check on the bursaries page above and this will give you a rough Idea of how much you will get. In october you will get a letter informing you of how much yot bursary will be if you are entitled to one.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.