Turn on thread page Beta

Harriet Harman: Men Caused Credit Crunch watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    A more correct number would be around half. Currently, there are only110 woman non-executive directors, 14.5 per cent of the total. This is unacceptable.

Are you incapable of arguing or are you just going to limit yourself to a smiley?

Because there are no physiological differences between the sexes contributing to this at is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Do you have a link, or can you quote some of it so I can find a link?

This women is an absolute joke, everytime she opens her mouth the hole just gets deeper.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6737706.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    So practicality doesn't matter? It's all about the mythical "equality", then? Good to know.

But what is it like to be a women who thinks that she's essentially the same as a man? Who basically wants to be a man? Who has no concept of feminicity?
    Practicality? Why is achieving equality impractical?

I don't know what being a woman like that would be like. I can't see how it is relevant here either. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    Because there are no physiological differences between the sexes contributing to this at is there?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    If she means bankers, then she would be right.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Oh god. OK then goodbye.

ReputationRep:

Egalitarianism is based on multiple illusions.

I don't know what being a woman like that would be like. I can't see how it is relevant here either. :rolleyes:
    Why don't you look in the mirror? Because that is who you are with all this "men and women are the same" rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    specifically, white men!!! lool

ReputationRep:
    Oh god. OK then goodbye.
    I assume you're referring to the presense of testosterone in males which renders them more prone to risk-taking and impulsive behaviour? Although this can have benefits when on the trading floor, it can also result in rash decisions which caused the current financial downturn.

ReputationRep:

So at the moment we are like ?

Stop comparing ANY semblance of equality as communism. It's boring.

ReputationRep:
    I assume you're referring to the presense of testosterone in males which renders them more prone to risk-taking and impulsive behaviour? Although this can have benefits when on the trading floor, it can also result in rash decisions which caused the current financial downturn.
    Yes that is one physiological difference.

ReputationRep:

Egalitarianism is based on multiple illusions.

Why don't you look in the mirror? Because that is who you are with all this "men and women are the same" rubbish.
    Gender equality is a very different concept to social equality.

So because I want the same rights and privileges as men, it means I must be aspiring to be a man?

ReputationRep:
    Yes that is one physiological difference.
    Which means that consequently there should be fewer women in the financial sector? What are you arguing?

ReputationRep:
    A more correct number would be around half. Currently, there are only110 woman non-executive directors, 14.5 per cent of the total. This is unacceptable.
    Why? As I asked, how is this optimal number derived? What if more woman do not want to become directors, or if companies find better candidates?

Are you incapable of arguing or are you just going to limit yourself to a smiley?
    I had assumed that the claim that Harriet Harman has proved herself a good MP was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    It's called positive discrimination.

And that's a different debate - there was a thread on it a few days ago.
    Its still sexist, and it is still patronising to women.

ReputationRep:
    So because I want the same rights and privileges as men, it means I must be aspiring to be a man?
    Yes, when you want women to behave exactly like men (always working, not doing chores, being political leaders, not staying at home) and when you also think that there are almost no differences between men and women.

You are a woman who wants to do the things men do and not the things women do. You also think that there are almost no differences between men and women.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because 'equality' is chimerical; attempts at socially engineering it (by those who cannot accept that human existence is by its very nature compromised and not equal), tend to end in disaster. Furthermore, they are not really motivated by a belief in equality at all, but hatred for those percieved as privileged...In Harmans case this is a hatred of men - in her ideal world we should be under no illusions of men and women running things 50/50, men are very much suborindate to women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo156)
    Don't most women have children which slows down their career progression?
    If you want to be a director, dont have kids.
    Would you say the same to a man who wished to be a director and a father? Are men incapable of looking after a child while their wife works? I'm sick of the child excuse being used for gender inequality in the workplace.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, when she was MP for Peckham she tried to have a council estate demolished with the justification that 'poor people don't matter'.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit stupid to say somebody should get a job because they're a woman, it's as bad as somebody not getting the job for being a woman. The best person for the job should get it!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.