Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I kind of don't want a job where you work for a company because i just feel like i'm being exploited. Yeah, even if they pay me a decent amount of money such as 30,000 i am probably making double that for them, which means i am not gaining the true value for my work. This depresses me.

People are always complaining about in the 3rd world people working in sweatshops etc, getting little pay, but isn't this almost the same, apart from the bad working conditions?

Anyone else feel like this? WHat job do you have/want to be?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I have never viewed working like that...

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same and have done for the past 5 years. Last December, i layed down an ultimatum saying that they either pay me what i deserve, or i will leave and take all my expertise with me. They denied my request, so i applied and got a place studying something completely different at uni. I still work there, as i needed to stay in employment till September, but they have just realised that the multi-million pound job they are currently bidding for requires a skill that they will lose with me. They asked me to stay, and offered me the payrise i wanted, but i declined and offered them the opportunity to sub-contract me when i am at university. At about 1.5x the cost of the payrise they offered me doing about half the work, might i add!!

ReputationRep:
    I've only experienced retail work, but yeah I have sometimes felt exploited, but then at other times I've remembered the days I worked a complete shift in an almost continuous daydream and I've wondered how I get away with taking home my £40. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to work fixed hours, but I don't. My boss is very prone to phoning up the night before I'm due to go in and telling me to start at a different time, and even when I get there, there's no guarantee that she'll come back to take over the shift when she says she's going to - sometimes that means I get a tenner docked from what I would have been paid, for no reason other than that she was bored sat at home. For about a year, when I was only 16, she put me on the early shift - I had to get up at 5am to open the shop for her, and then she'd swan in at 9am and take the mick out of me for yawning, making out I was lazy.

I can't make any plans, I can't count on my pittance of a wage from one week to the next. I don't get paid extra for bank holidays, let alone Sundays, and she changes her mind regularly about how much holiday I'm entitled to. I'm the only one she ever asks to work Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. So yes, you could say I feel exploited. But I can't get another job this late in the year and so close to me going away for uni.

/rant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    I kind of don't want a job where you work for a company because i just feel like i'm being exploited. Yeah, even if they pay me a decent amount of money such as 30,000 i am probably making double that for them, which means i am not gaining the true value for my work. This depresses me.
    Your companies probably barely breaking even on you then, on average an employee costs between 1.5 - 2 times salary when you take into account overhead. It's certainly not a significant return on their investment.

If you think you're worth more than they're paying you why don't you work for someone who will pay you more or start your own company. If you can't make more money either of those ways then the amount your company is paying you is probably an accurate reflection of your true value.

ReputationRep:
    Well, to be fair, it's the company who is risking their own capital - hence why they get a bigger share of the profits. Feel free to start your own business and put your own money at risk. Welcome to capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    You know there's a way to avoid that discrepancy, it's called being self-employed. A company making more money from you than it pays you is called making a profit. The company wouldn't exist unless it paid you less than you earned it.

If they're paying you below market value for your skills then demand a pay rise or leave (see the invisible hand etc.) - if you can afford to give up any sort of job in the middle of a recession you must be one sort-after mofo :p:

ReputationRep:
    People are always complaining about in the 3rd world people working in sweatshops etc, getting little pay, but isn't this almost the same, apart from the bad working conditions?
    errrrmmmmmmm no? The RoI is magnitudes higher for sweashops.

Why not work for yourself then? If you can't do that then all you're good for is being exploited.

ReputationRep:
    I've often felt like this. Probably something to do with reading loads of Marx! It varies accoridng to the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    I've often felt like this. Probably something to do with reading loads of Marx! It varies accoridng to the job.
    Why dont you go self employed then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Why dont you go self employed then?
    I said it varies according to the job. I'm going to end up doing some kind of research, which I enjoy, so it doesn't feel like/isn't exploitation.

When I worked in a factory for a couple of years, I felt thoroughly exploited.

ReputationRep:

Cheers.
    Have you ever considered joining the Labour party? You might find lots of like minded individuals..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geritak)
    I'm supposed to work fixed hours, but I don't. My boss is very prone to phoning up the night before I'm due to go in and telling me to start at a different time, and even when I get there, there's no guarantee that she'll come back to take over the shift when she says she's going to - sometimes that means I get a tenner docked from what I would have been paid, for no reason other than that she was bored sat at home. For about a year, when I was only 16, she put me on the early shift - I had to get up at 5am to open the shop for her, and then she'd swan in at 9am and take the mick out of me for yawning, making out I was lazy.

I can't make any plans, I can't count on my pittance of a wage from one week to the next. I don't get paid extra for bank holidays, let alone Sundays, and she changes her mind regularly about how much holiday I'm entitled to. I'm the only one she ever asks to work Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. So yes, you could say I feel exploited. But I can't get another job this late in the year and so close to me going away for uni.

/rant.
    She sounds like a git. IIRC, until you're 18 you can't be forced to work before 7am or after 7pm.

You will be entitled to at least 5.6 weeks holiday by law (this is based on your working week, so if you work 2 days a week you would be permitted 2 X 5.6 ie 11.2 days off). Sadly, I don't think there's any entitlement to higher rates for bank holidays, Sundays etc.

I would also be asking why she docks £10 from your pay without good reason...

ReputationRep:

Cheers.
    Well duh!

If you are paid truly according to value of the work you do, then the company won't make a profit. If you don't like it, then set your own business up, employ someone and then I'm sure you'd change your mind.

And Geritak:

Why don't you let them bend you over as well. You don't have any right to be treated like that. Stand up for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Generally working life involves 'exploitation'. You can counter-act it by working at a poor standard but that would be pretty pointless. At the end of the day you are being paid to do a job... to be honest I think using the term exploitation is a bit OTT. If you try and change your perception of employment then you might be happier... think of it as a trade of your time and effort in exchange for somebody elses money... rather than some sort of oppressive sentence.

As somebody else rightly pointed out, overheads add up for companies... if you sell an item for £20 that cost £8... that £12 'profit' is divided up to take into account VAT, rent, insurance, bills, wages...

Another point to remember is that if you were to become self employed and your business flourished, you may end up taking on staff. You would see things differently if your profits were severely eaten into by staff wages.

There are plenty of people that really need to be employed at the moment. I'd count your blessings.
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Poll
Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.