Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0NDoy1v1Z

Yes i have seen this in the medic forum, my discussion is different.

That pay is very high! A lot more than i thought they get ~100k. For what they do, do they really deserve that pay? Surely that overpay is better invested back into the NHS, not straight to the greedy GP's pockets.

Yes i know i sourced the daily fail

ReputationRep:
    Oh noes people earn more than me their EVIL.

ReputationRep:
    They deserve their pay.

Leave Doctors alone.

ReputationRep:
    jealousy

until your job pays however many 100s it's always going to be under discussion. When journalists are earning 100k per story they write, the newspapers will shut up but the bankers the doctors will be complaining and so on

ReputationRep:
    The investigation found one GP earning £380,000 a year and a number pocketing more than £300,000
    wow one GP

GP takes years to train up to that point

a banker 3 years of uni, get a job, make one luckily trade then you earn big

ReputationRep:
    No big deal to me. If you really want a career with high pay - become a doctor too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperKell)
    For what they do, do they really deserve that pay?
    Nah, they should be on minimum wage. I mean, in real terms, what worth do Doctors actually have to society?

Surely that overpay is better invested back into the NHS
    Yep, a bit more money would mean we could get more managers to look after everything!

not straight to the greedy GP's pockets.
    Precisely. How dare these money grabbing gits work, and then get paid for doing so! That is the epitome of greed to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperKell)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0NDoy1v1Z

Yes i have seen this in the medic forum, my discussion is different.

That pay is very high! A lot more than i thought they get ~100k. For what they do, do they really deserve that pay? Surely that overpay is better invested back into the NHS, not straight to the greedy GP's pockets.

Yes i know i sourced the daily fail
    Yes they do my dad is a doctor and he works his arse off and sometimes i dont see him for whole weeks and when I do he is upset about patients and the corrupt NHS which made him pay back all of his oncall for when he was sick (from an accident that wasn't his fault and which has screwed up his wrist forever) so i didn't see hm over cristmas. :mob:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'd much rather doctors get all my money than bankers.

Doctors do an invaluable job in our society and as far as I'm concerned, they can have all the money they want. Let's face it, with the years of painstaking study a wannabe doctor has to do to get a job in the medical profession, they deserve it.

If you really want to start a thread about people that get paid way too much for the work they do, why not start one about professional footballers?

ReputationRep:
    They are also now going throgh hell at the hospitals for swine flu

ReputationRep:
    No we should take all the money they worked for back I don't think this country is communist enough yet. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Those figures are slightly misleading, they're not being directly paid £300k a year, at least I doubt it.

During the 90s lots of new surgeries were opened up, however the incompetent government didn't pay for the buildings, instead the partners (the GPs in charge of the respective surgeries) took out large loans and paid for their construction. The government then rented the buildings back at pretty high rates, such that within 5-10 years the loans were paid off and now the GPs who took out the loan are earning huge amounts.

In addition I think quite a few have opened up pharmacies within their surgeries, and they earn a significant amount from that.

ReputationRep:
    Blood money.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously guys, why do we give so much of a **** about other people's pay? Is it jealousy? To the point where we're flagging down doctors?

ReputationRep:
    Doctors trained twice as hard to get into their profession and unlike bankers, they help lives rather than destroy them.

The real point should be the disparity of pay within the NHS between nurses and doctors and whether the training doctors have to go through and the skills they pick up is enough to justify some of these large salaries. Personally, I'd much rather a doctor get a large salary than a banker, footballer, whatever, but I also hope that pay for nurses does improve (although I guess economic conventions would dictate otherwise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cool)
    Seriously guys, why do we give so much of a **** about other people's pay? Is it jealousy? To the point where we're flagging down doctors?
    Because the daily mail has to have somebody to hate. And they couldn't think of any better targets for their vitriol today.

ReputationRep:
    Damn them getting paid for saving our lives.

[/fail]

ReputationRep:
    a lot of doctors feel that they dont get paid enough.
    you have to be very highly trained and work incredibly hard and if they were that trained and worked that hard in other proffessions then they would get paid a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cool)
    exactly !

at least they actually do something valuable.... ( despite me envying them for earning sooo much more than nurses :p: )

look at footballers.... shouldnt we be questioning their salaries instead ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alphagamma)
    So, one GP earns 380k a year. Some football players earn more than that in a month.

Anyone else think the Daily Mail is (once again) missing the bigger picture?
    I agree that what the Daily Mail is saying is absolutely ridiculous. I don't understand why a lot of the population want to cap everyone's pay. As someone said... don't you think we're communist enough? :P

But the Daily Mail aren't ranting about footballers because it is a privatised industry and so their salary's are not coming directly from the publics purse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.