Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whatever, nearly half of that would be taxed off, I'm be angry if I was them lol! They deserve it, they get paid for having a huge responsibility and a lot of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    a lot of doctors feel that they dont get paid enough.
    you have to be very highly trained and work incredibly hard and if they were that trained and worked that hard in other proffessions then they would get paid a lot more.
    I think in the US doctors can earn up to half a mil (which to me sounds like a lot even when you take in to account that they have to pay insurance). So in terms of pay, they're actually losing out by being in a career on the government's payroll.

I also like the bit at the bottom of the article about forcing hospitals to do it more cheaply. Because that's a recipe for a safe and high quality service?

Edit: correction. Apparently, the top earners earn well over £1m in the US.

ReputationRep:
    They're self employed ffs if you run any business well then you make money.

And one GP. Come on now.

ReputationRep:
    sewer cleaners should be paid more

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    To compare Doctors to bankers is completely ridiculous. Bankers use the money you have earned to make themselves money and you have no choice whatsoever about it because you have to have a bank account. If you dont, you cant get payed.
    I would much rather get payed my wages in cash so i dont give them the opportunity to leech off my money.

Doctors, on the other hand, save lives. They deserve to be payed more than the scum running our banks. Since that scum is getting payed millions, the doctors are underpayed in my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    No I think they deserve it. My best friends stepdad is a GP, he does so much work and good, he is always working so hard. I definitely think they deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    God, I hate it when people say "Y is the new X".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SuperKell)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/
    :rolleyes:

Meh, I think what they get is fair. It annoys me though when people say and assume all doctors save lives and are great.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you gobble up everything the media shovels into your festering trough of a brain?

ReputationRep:
    RAGE

What is this? Doctors getting money for SAVING LIVES? TWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DISGRACE OUTRAGE DAILY MAIL OPINION COLUMNNNNNNSSS

But seriously, they pay is about right for the work they have to do. Being a doctor is not even close to a 9-5 job, and it can put a massive strain on you and your family - not to mention the insane amount of training you have to do before you become qualified, and even then you're treated like dirt for quite some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Because the daily mail has to have somebody to hate. And they couldn't think of any better targets for their vitriol today.
    Aaah. Explains it. Aren't these also the same guys who brought to light the MPs scandal?

(Original post by Hula129)
    exactly !

at least they actually do something valuable.... ( despite me envying them for earning sooo much more than nurses :p: )

look at footballers.... shouldnt we be questioning their salaries instead ?
    I agree with you that doctors render us an invaluable service. But surely we have no reason to question anyone's salary.. unless the salary itself is responsible for <insert profound negative effect on Joe Average here>?

I'd be more ready to question the child support, housing benefits and heavily subsidised houses paid and given away by the government to single teenage mothers who became so with the knowledge and motive of being dependant on the state. No?

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of ignorance in this thread.

Firstly, I totally agree that doctors should have a fairly high salary as they are highly intelligent people who train very hard and for very long, and provide an invaluable and difficult, time-consuming service to society. However, that is not to say that I agree with some posters who simply want to throw all our money into their pockets!

Bankers worked in the private sector and were paid as such, doctors work for the State (if they are NHS docs) and therefore they are paid from our taxes. We should therefore have a right to know the full perks and salaries of the doctors we are paying for - especially if we demand this from bankers, whose institutions are only owned in the minority by the State.

I remember going to a conference in London where a chemist was furious at the high salaries of doctors and pointed out that essentially, doctors are simply pill-pushers (for lack of a more appreciative term). They will use the BNF and the advice of the scientists to diagnose and prescribe medicines and treatments, but it is not the doctors who advance medical science. It is the terribly underfunded organic chemists working away out of sight in the labs and the engineers working on new medical technology, who advance medicine so that the doctors can implement it.

Maybe a bit more recognition is needed for these people whose annual pay usually caps at £30,000 with no perks and who often have PhDs in their subject, so you can't really say they haven't had to go through as much education and the financial burden which goes along with it.

ReputationRep:
    dentist too! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8183788.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamcock)
    dentist too! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8183788.stm
    What about firemen?

ReputationRep:
    One GP ha get a grip mate, very few doctors earn that sort of money off the NHS. Its likely that GP is working in the countryside running a pharmacy aswell as being a practising doctor.

If i was to take out all the loan possible to fund my education id be 50k in debt when i graduate, never go into medicine for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperKell)
    For what they do, do they really deserve that pay?
    Any pay which is given freely is deserved. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Surely that overpay is better invested back into the NHS, not straight to the greedy GP's pockets.
    So?

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with doctors earning that, however my views are different for dentists.

654 dentists earn over 250k a year, and I can't afford to go to the dentist where I live..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...arnings-income

ReputationRep:
    Well, one must always be sceptical of tabloid numbers, but if it is the case that doctors are being paid on the order of £380k by the NHS then heads should roll.

I don't even use the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    K people, you know the drill. Pitchforks and lit torches are in the cupboard.

They train well, they get paid well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.