Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardCurrent)
    Well, one must always be sceptical of tabloid numbers, but if it is the case that doctors are being paid on the order of £380k by the NHS then heads should roll.

I don't even use the NHS.
    Thats your choice, its there available for you to a decent standard - you are deciding to pay out of your own pocket for better service/care privately (i assume). I do the same. But 1 doctor getting paid £380k is nothing, esp. after the new 50% tax band.

**** new labour.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors are heroes and work really hard to keep people healthy.

Bankers are ******* (rhymes with bankers) who have put this country in a mess.

ReputationRep:
    Just came back to quote this:

(Original post by Daily Mail ********)
    In some cases the figures include cash GPs have to pay out for staff salaries and rents.
    Hahaha.. talk about a worthless peice of 'news'.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...5972799/Police

Policemen are the new *ankers.

ReputationRep:
    i stopped reading at "...a Daily Mail investigation has revealed"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperKell)
    That pay is very high! A lot more than i thought they get ~100k. For what they do, do they really deserve that pay?
    Since doctors have a closed shop union and are employed mostly by the state, it is almost impossible to answer this question. Given the effects those things have had in the past, the best answer is 'probably not'.

It is interesting how TSR immediately attacks people who ask questions about pretty blatantly exploitative groups like doctors with accusations of jealousy &c., while mocking such defences of high salaries paid to private sector employees whose pay is determined only by mutual agreement in the marketplace.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of doctors feel that they dont get paid enough.
    you have to be very highly trained and work incredibly hard and if they were that trained and worked that hard in other proffessions then they would get paid a lot more.
    I'd be surprised if you found many professions that are more accommodating. Engineers, architects, surveyors, teachers etc. are (arguably) worse off.

Moreover, as far as the weight of death goes, many other professions take responsibility for many lives, it's just not so blatant.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=553

^^Just to get things into perspective^^

Edit:It's a page about what a Doctor is more likely to earn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouz)
    Thats your choice, its there available for you to a decent standard - you are deciding to pay out of your own pocket for better service/care privately (i assume). I do the same. But 1 doctor getting paid £380k is nothing, esp. after the new 50% tax band.

**** new labour.
    Yes, but I am specifically not deciding to contribute to paying people such substantial sums of money when I will never see any benefit. Rather, I am being forced to and I resent it.

And £380k is clearly far from trivial when put into the context of the average salary. Bankers can take the moral high ground in every single instance: at least they were not paid by means of statutory theft.

ReputationRep:
    The very fact your source is from the Daily Fail is quite frankly an Epic Fail in itself

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read all posts, so this may have been already pointed out, but, to those who claim "doctors save lives" justifies the money....GPs are (through their own greed) now effectively medical administrators. Their encounters with death could be trumped by anyone who has had to break a little harshly because some imbecile didn't cross at the lights.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Whoever said that this is just a case of the Daily Mail needing something to hate for the day is right. Most people who read the Daily Mail are nowhere near intelligent enough to ever get a medical degree, thus they have no clue about all the hard work and dedication it takes to achieve the feat. I wish such people could be ignored but unfortunately the Daily Mail makes up a sizeable portion of daily newspaper sales...

Doctors, next time you see someone in the waiting room of your surgery and they are reading the Daily Mail tell them to f*** off.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that they even thought about launching into an anti-well-paid-doctors rant/article simply disgusts me.

I'm sure no one at the Daily Fail would complain if they were being treated by a 300k pair of hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Doctors, next time you see someone in the waiting room of your surgery and they are reading the Daily Mail tell them to f*** off.
    Hehe, I can just imagine this. Oh the irony of someone sitting in the waiting room, reading this article, expecting treatment haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    There is a lot of ignorance in this thread.

Firstly, I totally agree that doctors should have a fairly high salary as they are highly intelligent people who train very hard and for very long, and provide an invaluable and difficult, time-consuming service to society. However, that is not to say that I agree with some posters who simply want to throw all our money into their pockets!

Bankers worked in the private sector and were paid as such, doctors work for the State (if they are NHS docs) and therefore they are paid from our taxes. We should therefore have a right to know the full perks and salaries of the doctors we are paying for - especially if we demand this from bankers, whose institutions are only owned in the minority by the State.

I remember going to a conference in London where a chemist was furious at the high salaries of doctors and pointed out that essentially, doctors are simply pill-pushers (for lack of a more appreciative term). They will use the BNF and the advice of the scientists to diagnose and prescribe medicines and treatments, but it is not the doctors who advance medical science. It is the terribly underfunded organic chemists working away out of sight in the labs and the engineers working on new medical technology, who advance medicine so that the doctors can implement it.

Maybe a bit more recognition is needed for these people whose annual pay usually caps at £30,000 with no perks and who often have PhDs in their subject, so you can't really say they haven't had to go through as much education and the financial burden which goes along with it.
    I kind of agree with this. I'm okay with doctors wages I think they've earnt it but what about all the researchers in the labs who make new medicines and develop the cures for diseases. They get a horrible pay for what they do and the businesses they work for make all the profit. I think they should be paid around the same wages as a doctor depending on what they do.

ReputationRep:
    There is a line between good pay and what is reasonable for a Dr to get paid with public money - especially considering the shortage of funds and wasteage in the NHS.

80k is reasonable for a good Dr. Its still a very high wage compared to most. 300k or even 150k is taking the piss IMO.

Maybe we do need more manages to manage this craziness!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    They deserve their pay.

Leave Doctors alone.
    Agreed.

You study your bum off for 6 years, work in the most stressful environment and then think if you deserve less pay.

Comparing doctors with bankers is somewhat cynical, provided that doctors save lives. This is no small deal, whatever your viewpoint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Nah, they should be on minimum wage. I mean, in real terms, what worth do Doctors actually have to society?

Yep, a bit more money would mean we could get more managers to look after everything!

Precisely. How dare these money grabbing gits work, and then get paid for doing so! That is the epitome of greed to me.
    I do hope this is sarcasm...? Maybe I just havent noticed it.

ReputationRep:
    Well apart from the fact that one doctor on 380k isnt exactly shocking in the first place, they havnt made their method clear... my dad is a GP who owns a % of his surgey, he is on the NHS pay-roll, but the NHS dont own the surgey or the building. It is shared between a few GPs. So the NHS effectively hire the building and staff, i believe this is incorporated into his pay on top of his normal GP salary.
    A lot of surgeries operate like this, as a poster on the articles comments section pointed out, it could just be that the doctor in question owned parts of several surgeries.

But to be honest it's not news in the first place...

Disclaimer: Too tired to check for gramatical/spelling errors, or compare post to OP for relevance :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, a bit more money would mean we could get more managers to look after everything!
    Totally agree with this point-the reason they earn these vast sums of money is due to their private work that for the majority of doctors takes priority over NHS work, so doctors aren't that dissimilar to bankers. I'd be interested to see who would train all those years to become a doctor but earnt minimum wage- that would show whos in medicine for the money and who genuinely wants to improve treatment and preserve life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.