Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got offered accommodation but because I am a complete idiot didn't confirm it before the deadline
    Is there anything I can do about this? Tried calling them but no answer. I live in Manchester so obviously too far away to commute etc.
    Am panicking massively at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie_lou)
    I got offered accommodation but because I am a complete idiot didn't confirm it before the deadline
    Is there anything I can do about this? Tried calling them but no answer. I live in Manchester so obviously too far away to commute etc.
    Am panicking massively at the moment!
    First off: don't panic. Secondly, how many times have you tried ringing? Maybe they were on their lunch break. If not, email them at [email protected] and explain your situation, if you email it is proof that you tried your best to amend the situation. I'm sure they'll get back to you, they're usually quite helpful and if the College is your firm there's sometimes spare rooms.

Also, without wanting to patronise you, maybe the number you have is wrong, if you already haven't, check this page:

http://www.residences.qmul.ac.uk/contact/index.html

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that Mile End is full right now and they don't have any available places whatsoever atm :mad:

Best just wait and hope that half of those over-zealous freaks will cancel their accommodation come the Results Day, but still I've heard there are over 100 people on the waiting list (I'm one of them :woo:) :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, this is really stressing me out, I don't want to end up homeless next year!
    I've been put on the waiting list for halls but how likely to you think it is that'll actually get a place?
    Would it be a good idea to start looking for other places to live now?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be a good idea to start looking for other places to live now?
    Where I live there's a room available for £650pcm a REALLY huge one (like, size of 2 doubles or sth), you only need to chip in for electricity bills. Oh, there's concierge and en-suite gym provided free of charge, and it's 25 mins approx. from Queen Mary by DLR + tube. :yep:

Pop in and take a visit if you want ;-)

I might be staying here for some time, if they don't let me in. And - yeah, you'd be better off looking right now, as good places will decline in number drastically come academic year.

As far as vacancies are concerned - no idea, on my previous uni you had people dropping out almost every second week of the term or so, so there's a constant influx of vacancies. If not now, it's quite possible that in 2-3rd week of the academic year some places will be freed up, once the disappointment with the course sinks in to some of the students (it always does). :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The deadline is the 24th? I haven't accepted it yet either. You're meant to accept it when you get your grades.

ReputationRep:
    I was unconditional so I think it may have been different

Thank you Dynamitri, definitely put my mind at rest a bit, I think I'll wait until after results day and hope lots of people miss their offers and free up spaces for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_de_Large)
    The deadline is the 24th? I haven't accepted it yet either. You're meant to accept it when you get your grades.
    Not if you have an unconditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Dynamitri
    No problem - I'm always happy to help :-)

Looking forward to seeing you @Queen Mary, then ;-)

ReputationRep:
    lol...I was about to create a thread for the same...but fortunately I found this. yeah!! i ****** with the dates. Being an international student I didn't know about this at all until today when I finally decided to read each and every word of my offer letter. I am ******* screwed. Are there any chances to get accommodation? I just filled my form today. I have also mailed the international admissions office about my ******* mistake GRRRR!!!!..I hope they put me somewhere

ReputationRep:
    I still havent got any accommodation/uni letters but i rang up the admissions office and they told me i have an unconditional offer for PG!
    But now that i'm hearing that all accommodation is taken ... i don't know what i am going to do cos i'm international and London is expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeswax84)
    But now that i'm hearing that all accommodation is taken ...
    Well as stated previously, it's quite frequent for a lot of people to drop out in the first term, but obviously it's good to be at the campus from the day one, to meet people and make new friends. The sooner you supply your form, the better.

Right now the only thing I can advise you to is go to www.spareroom.co.uk and start looking for something short-term. You can also try www.gumtree.com, but be warned, there are a lot of scammers there. It is possible to get cheap accommodation in London, but don't expect high standard, though.

So, yeah. In any case - just ask me, I'll be glad to help :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    So, yeah. In any case - just ask me, I'll be glad to help :woo:
    Thanks. I can actually stay with my cousin if it is temporary. Currently what I am more nervous about is getting my visa, cos the college hasn't sent me any papers yet!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.