Turn on thread page Beta

SQA RESULTS-ONLY Thread :: Post your Results watch

• View Poll Results: Your performance (Vote when you get your results)
    I did REALLY, REALLY good
    35.23%
    I did better than I expected
    34.66%
    I did as I expected
    18.18%
    I did average
    7.95%
    I didn't do so good
    7.39%
    I did worse than expected
    8.52%
    I did HORRIBLE! This changes EVERYTHING
    4.55%
    I met none of my offers
    3.41%
    I'll make up for this in 6th year
    5.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Well neither the grades nor bands really matters that much, apart from in personal satisfaction terms :p:

What don't you get about factorials? My tips would be to pay attention and try and iron out any confusions you have early on, or it will make things a lot harder later.
    I just get confused when too many letters such as n+1 and n-r-1 etc are used otherwise if the problem only contains one type of letter i'm fine.

I don't think you've done Higher History before ? So I couldn't ask your opinion on the subject.

I found out today I got a Band 1 in Higher Chemistry - don't know the mark.

I'm really gutted about getting a B in maths - My chances of getting an appeal look slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazoo.C)
    I just get confused when too many letters such as n+1 and n-r-1 etc are used otherwise if the problem only contains one type of letter i'm fine.

I don't think you've done Higher History before ? So I couldn't ask your opinion on the subject.

I found out today I got a Band 1 in Higher Chemistry - don't know the mark.

I'm really gutted about getting a B in maths - My chances of getting an appeal look slim.
    Tbh in maths things often look scary and complicated when they aren't. I went through a stage myself where I almost subconsciously decided I couldn't do something when in fact once explained properly it was quite simple.

What do you want to know about History?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    Tbh in maths things often look scary and complicated when they aren't. I went through a stage myself where I almost subconsciously decided I couldn't do something when in fact once explained properly it was quite simple.

What do you want to know about History?
    Just whether it is interesting, what the chances of getting an A are. I did history at standard grade but the higher seems to be a little different. Also would you say it is better to do AH maths or Higher History?

ReputationRep:
    Got the bands today...

English - A band one
    Maths - A band one
    French - A band one
    History - A band one
    Physics - A band one

:woo:

[/boast]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _summer09_)
    Got the bands today...

English - A band one
    Maths - A band one
    French - A band one
    History - A band one
    Physics - A band one

[/boast]
    How did u get the bands and component marks please tell me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _summer09_)
    Got the bands today...

English - A band one
    Maths - A band one
    French - A band one
    History - A band one
    Physics - A band one

[/boast]
    Congratulations :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAZZA007)
    How did u get the bands and component marks please tell me :rolleyes:
    You have to find out through your school. Go in and ask all your previous teachers, if not try and phone your school.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations :clap2:
    Thanks! Yeah, one of my teachers had a booklet with all the bands/ucas points in it. But I think you have to wait a bit for the individual percentage marks - the teachers apply and i think it comes in sep/oct. But I'm not sure though

ReputationRep:
    Just whether it is interesting, what the chances of getting an A are. I did history at standard grade but the higher seems to be a little different. Also would you say it is better to do AH maths or Higher History?
    Well History at Higher involves looking at things like a historian. What I mean by this is at SG you just learnt the facts and spewed them back out, at Higher you look at the facts and come to conclusions about the reasons behind historical events, why things happened and what importance can be attributed to specific factors. It is all in all a much more compelling way of studying history. As for difficulty I found it pretty damn easy but then I read a lot of history and have a real interest and aptitude in the subject. By looking at my classmates in 5th year though, it seemed to take most people a while to adjust to the new style of looking at historical events and they tended to struggle with the essays to start with, however by the time of the exam most had learnt the skills and techniques needed. It is not hugely difficult to get an A as long as you have a decent level of English and either have a natural ability or are prepared to put a bit of work into learning the skills and style needed.

As for which is more useful, it wholly depends on what course you are applying for if it is engineering take Maths if it is Law history would look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    Well History at Higher involves looking at things like a historian. What I mean by this is at SG you just learnt the facts and spewed them back out, at Higher you look at the facts and come to conclusions about the reasons behind historical events, why things happened and what importance can be attributed to specific factors. It is all in all a much more compelling way of studying history. As for difficulty I found it pretty damn easy but then I read a lot of history and have a real interest and aptitude in the subject. By looking at my classmates in 5th year though, it seemed to take most people a while to adjust to the new style of looking at historical events and they tended to struggle with the essays to start with, however by the time of the exam most had learnt the skills and techniques needed. It is not hugely difficult to get an A as long as you have a decent level of English and either have a natural ability or are prepared to put a bit of work into learning the skills and style needed.

As for which is more useful, it wholly depends on what course you are applying for if it is engineering take Maths if it is Law history would look good.
    Not 100% sure what courses i'm applying to however I think it will be more in the 'sciency' field. I don't really feel like picking an essay subject though I feel I will be able to do better in History than AH Maths.

Oh and also what element would you say is a bigger part of Higher - Knowledge and Understanding or Enquiry Skills ? I always felt I was a little better at Enquiry Skills.

ReputationRep:
    My Biology teacher told me my band anyway. Its a 2.
    Must try not to be dissapointed.

I got a band 1 in art though!! But my teacher won't tell me my exact marks

Thats all I know and thats all I want to know

ReputationRep:
    Higher Chemistry:
    Paper 1 31/40
    Paper 2 42/60
    Overall band 2

I'm not overly happy with those marks, I've done better in past papers, and the perfectionist in me is pretty pissed off at the band 2. Still, an A's an A

ReputationRep:
    Not 100% sure what courses i'm applying to however I think it will be more in the 'sciency' field. I don't really feel like picking an essay subject though I feel I will be able to do better in History than AH Maths.

Oh and also what element would you say is a bigger part of Higher - Knowledge and Understanding or Enquiry Skills ? I always felt I was a little better at Enquiry Skills.
    If I were I'd go for what you'd prefer to do rather than what you think you would do better in. AH maths is pretty useful for all the sciences aswell, at some point.

ReputationRep:

Higher history really is a different set-up, the "KU" is important only to the extent that it allows you to make points and your argument regarding the essay question or source question. I would say that the analytical skills in "ES" will be more the sort of thing you will need to be good at in order to cope with the Higher course.

I would say to do maths if you want it to be a subject to help you in uni if you are doing a science course, do History if you need more Highers to get into that course. History is an interesting subject and is thought provoking, you would probably enjoy it and my personal view of the matter regarding essay exams is that the 3 hours of writing at the end of the year (which is not exactly fun) is a fair price to pay for an interesting course.

ReputationRep:
    Found out I got 94/100 overall in Chemistry :-) dead chuffed with that! Band 1 As for everything apart from maths was a band 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acas13)
    Found out I got 94/100 overall in Chemistry :-) dead chuffed with that! Band 1 As for everything apart from maths was a band 2
    Well done!
    I really want to know my marks now, will need to arrange a trip into school me thinks:cool:

ReputationRep:
    got some of my marks back. 77/100 for chemistry and 79/90 for physics. 19/20 in the multiple choice for physics. :cool:

was talking to my AH physics teacher and everyone in the year above seems to have done terrible in their investigations. a couple of people with 72/73% in the exam but low marks in their investigation bringing them down to a B (one guy got 12/25). i imagine that must be somewhat frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    got some of my marks back. 77/100 for chemistry and 79/90 for physics. 19/20 in the multiple choice for physics. :cool:

was talking to my AH physics teacher and everyone in the year above seems to have done terrible in their investigations. a couple of people with 72/73% in the exam but low marks in their investigation bringing them down to a B (one guy got 12/25). i imagine that must be somewhat frustrating.
    I think I probably got 12 or thereabouts, mine was pretty bad with a serious lack of underlying physics and uncertainties. Think I got 73/74 for the exam though so I reckon I just scraped my A -the cut off was 86 so it is possible with a poor investigation:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acas13)
    Well Done - I got a band 1 in chemistry as well - don't know the marks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAZZA007)
    Higher English Band 1 A (JEALOUS MUCH )
    Higher Mods Band 2 A (Miracles can occur)
    Higher History Band 3 B (YAY)
    Higher Italian (crash) D :p:
    :clap2:
    Anyone doing MA Geography-History at Aberdeen Uni, I certainly am now :yep:
    :clap2:
    Does anyone know how to phone SQA and get component marks- please reply
    I'm doing MA Geography at Aberdeen

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.