Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Girlfriend going to Cinema with ex? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ha! Trust issues. You should tell her it's fine, she can go see who she likes but on the other side she should think how it's like in your shoes seeing your GF go out somewhere with her ex by themselves. You should tell her the choice is a "No-brainer" but up to her in the end. Leave it at that, she'll think about it. If she has a heart she wouldn't go.

ReputationRep:
    Trust her if you dare...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    mate you are being a bit naive and too 'good', i'll give it a good week before you come back on here a post how to get over your relationship lol
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Towelie88)
    Afternoon all

Was on the phone to my girlfriend of 9 months earlier (We go to uni together, she lives about 2 hours away) and she said she was going to the cinema tonight. I asked here who she was going with and she said she was going with her ex, just her and him.

She says that there was a group of them going but everyone else pulled out. But her guard instantly went up and started asking me if it was ok.. I really didnt know what to say to her as I trust her, but she was with this guy on an off for two years up until last summer and broke up because he cheated on her, So he obviously doesnt care too much for peoples feelings.

What would you do in my situation? As I said, I trust her, but I cant help feeling a bit warey about the whole thing.

Cheers

x
    Not acceptable at all, but allow it and don't make a fuss. Behave as if nothing has happened. If it turns out that she's been doing a bit more than just 'going to the cinema', at least it looks like you didn't care anyway.

Start looking elsewhere now so that you've got something set up with another lady the moment this one (potentially) ends.

ReputationRep:
    She didn't volunteer the information did she? They'll end up shagging for shiz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    mate you are being a bit naive and too 'good', i'll give it a good week before you come back on here a post how to get over your relationship lol
    :rofl:

... the vicious circle of TSR threads...

ReputationRep:
    If they haven't stayed friends and this is out of the blue then I personally would NOT be okay with it. Just seems like one of them is testing the water to see if the other will take them back... I honestly don't think she would go alone with him for a legitimate reason if they haven't stayed in touch at all since they broke up.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you trust her. Have you told her what you think of the situation? Maybe if you told her how you feel, she might reconsider.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't let her - I definitely think something will happen.

ReputationRep:
    Do the same to her, see how she likes it.

It would make me very uncomfortable if my girlfriend did this. Tell her you dont want her to go.

I love how all the ones saying "if you trust her whats the problem" are from girls, most of which probably havent had relationships and are imposing the fantasies of 'that relationship that will come along soon enough' (yeah right).

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm..... this isn't good.

I may be a little biased - I had a girlfriend who was totally obsessed with her ex and (probably) never stopped seeing him.....it all ended extremely messily. To be honest I don't think I've ever seen two exes carry on as "Just Friends" without anything else being involved.

What do you think would happen if you said you didn't feel OK with this? If she gives the impression that she'd pick him over you THEN you are in serious trouble.... kind of what happened with me.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James')
    Go out with one of your ex's.
    LOL your posts always make me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Just because he cheated on her doesn't mean they shouldn't still be friends. Relax, if it was dodgy she wouldn't be telling you about it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    If you trust her, then you trust her. It could be perfectly innocent or she could end up going back to his and shagging him. You should be able to distinguish whether you actually think anything is going or whether it's just your insecurity/paranoia. Trust your gut instincts. Personally, although I'm obviously not in the best position to judge, I think it's the latter. I mean she's telling you about it, not doing it behind your back...

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's seen his ex a few times for various reasons, it doesn't bother me, I just think that if he does cheat on me he's an ass and not worth it.
    You could tell her you'd rather she didn't go & see how she reacts, but either way, they might really just be friends, it's not THAT hard to believe.

ReputationRep:
    If she really cared about you and your feelings then she would have asked before she went. I would really really be P***ed off if my boyfriend when to the cinema with his ex and told me about it the next day.

If everyone pulled out then she could have too, no-one forced her to go to the cinema with him, she chose. You really should talk to her about your feelings or she'll keep doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Thread title correction: "Ex going to cinema with boyfriend?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Towelie88)
    What would you do in my situation? As I said, I trust her, but I cant help feeling a bit warey about the whole thing.
    Are you worried that she's going to cheat on you, or are you worried she's going to break up with you and get with her old bf ?

You've been with her for nine months. If in the nine months you were with her you didn't manage to convince her you were a better bf than her ex, then maybe you should be reconsidering your relationship anyway. The point of a relationships isn't to be together at all cost, it's to be together because you make each other happier than anyone else can.

Feeling jealous is normal, but it's unreasonable to want to control who her friends are. You can't make a long term relation work by stopping your girlfriend being friends with guys who might be competition. You can only make it work by just being the best boyfriend you can be.

ReputationRep:
    dump her.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.