ReputationRep:
    im looking to apply to do maths for 2010 entry at the following unis:
    trinity, cambridge
    imperial
    ucl
    warwick
    nottingham

i take the following AS levels: maths, further maths, economics, physics

im struggling at physics right now, as in i am not able to get a confident A, but rather a B
    if i want to stand a good chance into getting into cambridge should i drop physics, or carry it on for A Levels?
    i am looking to do maths, further maths, and economics.. but im not sure about physics, as well as step and aea..

please give your opinions
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you enjoy physics? :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Drop it.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of marks are you getting in each subject?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do maths at uni level, why can't you handle physics?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure Trinity make A at A-level physics mandatory. If you are going to drop physics apply to a different college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Agreed, university mathematics at these top universities is very tough, seems odd that you'd be struggling with Physics.

FWIW I knew a few people who failed and dropped out of Maths at Warwick having v good a-levels, including one with 4 very high A's including further maths, rather you than me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheel999)
    trinity, cambridge
    imperial
    ucl
    warwick
    nottingham

im struggling at physics right now, as in i am not able to get a confident A, but rather a B
    if i want to stand a good chance into getting into cambridge should i drop physics, or carry it on for A Levels?
    i am looking to do maths, further maths, and economics.. but im not sure about physics, as well as step and aea..

thanks
    you're pretty screwed then im afraid to say. if you don't continue physics then you won't get into the top unis as physics is a crucial subject for maths, especially at them universities. however, if you do continue physics and don't get an A then, obviously, you won't meet the requirements.

I'd say continue all 4 if you can hack it, but if you want to only do 3 then drop economics and continue physics, working EXTRA hard

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    It's entirely feasible to get offers from most of those places- Cambridge if you apply to a different college- without physics A2. Heck, I got offers from a couple of them without physics AS!

ReputationRep:
    The only place you might struggle with is Imperial; their standard offer involves an A in a-level physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    you're pretty screwed then im afraid to say. if you don't continue physics then you won't get into the top unis as physics is a crucial subject for maths, especially at them universities. however, if you do continue physics and don't get an A then, obviously, you won't meet the requirements.
    That is rubbish.

Physics is not maths, espically pure mathematics or statistics.

P.S. Don't listen to people who say you need physics as a lot of people don't have physics to AS and study maths at top unis.

ReputationRep:
    trinity, cambridge
    imperial
    ucl
    warwick
    nottingham

thanks
    You should drop it!

Or give it a go and take up another subject in its place also, to be safe!

Im considering dropping it for the Irish Leaving Cert. but i think its different in england because of the coursework too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    That is rubbish.

P.S. Don't listen to people who say you need physics as a lot of people don't have physics to AS and study maths at top unis.
    True.

Maths may be essential for physics, but not the other way around.

No uni websites say that physics is highly recommended; the only subject recommended is FM.

ReputationRep:
    Not to be harsh or to be necessarily contrary to what others are saying, but my point was not "you need physics to do maths" but more concern that you may struggle with degree level maths if you can't handle what is frankly simple A level physics. They're similar enough that physics shouldn't perplex you that much if you want to go to a top uni for maths.

ReputationRep:
    trinity, cambridge
    imperial
    ucl
    warwick
    nottingham

thanks
    OMG you are in exactly in same situation as me a year ago!!
    I did the four subjects you were doing and dropped physics after AS.. I got an A in physics in AS but only just and my teachers were awful.. so i dropped it..

and ive applied to cambridge (downings college), imperial, ucl, warwick and birmingham and got offers from everywhere but cambridge.. and I must say it is not essential you do physics but i think you will need to give reasons why you dropped it etc if you do...

for instance physics department in my skl is officially rubbish and my tutor who is director of studies or sth wrote in the reference that dropping physics was not necessarily my fault cos teaching has been inadequate and teachers changed during the course etc.. (well I could hav tried to learn the course on my own but tbh im too lazy for that)

hope this helps...

ReputationRep:
    trinity, cambridge
    imperial
    ucl
    warwick
    nottingham

thanks
    Trinity want physics along with Maths and Further Maths, PM me if you want the email I got from them. UCL want physics too, with an A* in Maths IIRC.

Is that you are not sure about step and aea....you are looking to do them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    That is rubbish.

I find myself strongly agreeing with Simplicity. I guess there's a first for everything :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Physics has relatively little maths left in it. It's more about understanding physical concepts than coping with maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Physics has relatively little maths left in it. It's more about understanding physical concepts than coping with maths.
    I have to disagree, at a-level the physics mechanics paper is essentially identical to the early maths mechanics modules, that's about as identical an overlap you can get between two subjects.

At university physics is entirely maths based, you need to be very strong mathematically.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is worthwhile to know physics for a maths degree considering virtually a third of courses have a physics basis, ie special relativity, general relativity, quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, hydrodynamic stability, polymeric fluids, magnetohydrodynamics etc. These are just some of the courses at my uni for maths.

Of course a student doesn't need to do any of these, they could survive on stats and pure. However if i was going to let a student come to my university, i'd rather them be able to do all subjects initially, so that they're not limited right at the start.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.