Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Once you have been given a room for accommodation at university, how do you exactly pay weekly? Do you transfer money online? Do you write cheques and mail them? etc?

ReputationRep:
    Good question - I'd like to know the answer too

ReputationRep:
    Most uni's you pay by direct debit which is set up when you agree to the room.
    Not sure about others, but at Bath you pay termly. So at the start of the year, you pay the rent thats due up to christmas. Then when you start back in January, you pay what's due up until easter. Then after easter, you pay whats due up until the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    Mine will be done monthly by direct debit also, we were given the choice of monthly or termly

ReputationRep:
    Direct debit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildStriker)
    Once you have been given a room for accommodation at university, how do you exactly pay weekly? Do you transfer money online? Do you write cheques and mail them? etc?
    I do believe there are many different options - my uni gave the options of doing direct debit regularly, or one off direct debit payment at the beginning, or alternatively paying a one-off amount by cheque. Best checking it out with them. It's usually monthly or every couple of months.

ReputationRep:
    it's been said: direct debit

ReputationRep:
    I pay by pre-written cheques but it's a private student houseshare.

ReputationRep:
    Most places do termly direct debits, though some do it monthly. It's very rare to see anywhere which takes money weekly. Some places will accept cheques as well.
    A lot of places will also knock some money off if you pay for the whole year in one big payment.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial just sent me a bill part way through the term, 3 times in the year. With an amount and an address to send a cheque and a URL to pay online.

Simple enough.

ReputationRep:
    Direct debits at the beginning of term when the loans come in.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if this is a dump question, but how do you do a direct debit? Do you need to contact your bank about having direct debit? etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildStriker)
    Forgive me if this is a dump question, but how do you do a direct debit? Do you need to contact your bank about having direct debit? etc?
    Your uni will give you a form which you fill in with your bank details and hand it back to them, and they'll send the form off to the bank for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    Your uni will give you a form which you fill in with your bank details and hand it back to them, and they'll send the form off to the bank for you.
    Do you know when they will send you the form by?

ReputationRep:
    Ours had 3 installments, we could pay online or by cheque, I paid by cheque as I didn't trust the security of the internet connection I had there..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.