Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i'm taking my driving test on thursday, on my own car. However you can't see the speedometer from the passenger seat, even when you try leaning over... I'm worried that on the day, the examiner won't accept this and refuse to take the test! Anyone else experienced this problem??

ReputationRep:
    phone up the centre and ask them what to do ?

ReputationRep:
    Shoulda thought about that before you booked it!

Ring up the test centre and ask

ReputationRep:
    It's really not a problem, don't worry.

The only requirement connected with a speedometer is the legal requirement that it displays speed in both miles and kilometres per hour.

I'd link to a DSA press release about the use of dual speedometers but the network is down so I'll post it later.

ReputationRep:
    Borrow someone's GPS that displays speed?

ReputationRep:
    they need to be able to see the speedo.

ReputationRep:
    i cant find the test centre number!!

ReputationRep:
    Nothing mentioned on here except the usual requirements for a passenger rear view mirror and for good visibility for reversing exercises. Many experienced drivers (your examiner included) get used to judging the speed they're going at without having to look at the speedo all the time anyway - in any case it's about whether the examiner feels safe at the speed you drive at, which is most important of all.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, found it. http://dsa.gov.uk/news.asp?cat=492&id=SXF68-A782C4B1

Again, the examiner doesn't need to be able to see the speedo, so relax. Of course, you should check that your own car meets the other requirements, so check your seatbelts work, you have all fitted head restraints and an extra interior mirror for the examiner.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.