Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

going into second year how can I make friends? watch

I'm starting second year at uni on a new course soon but haven't made any friends in first year at all - not in a couple of societies I joined nor in class.

I was wondering how to approach second year, I really don't want no friends again, so how can I make friends?

ReputationRep:
    adultfriendfinder

ReputationRep:
    Simply go for it.

Be the first to say hello to people first etc. Obviously it's not going to go right every time and some people will feel uncomfortable but who really cares? If they're going to be like that they'd probably be **** friends anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you have another year to make friends if you fail to do so this year
    Do the opposite of what you did last year.

(Original post by Irrelevance)
    Simply go for it.

Be the first to say hello to people first etc. Obviously it's not going to go right every time and some people will feel uncomfortable but who really cares? If they're going to be like that they'd probably be **** friends anyway.
    Would it be ok to say hi to people before lectures, as I assume they'd already have their friend groups, if they're on their own or in a group? What should I say?

I was like you this time last year. Starting 'afresh' while my peers moved on into second year was soul destroying.

Umm...go to society socials, most of my friends I met there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would it be ok to say hi to people before lectures, as I assume they'd already have their friend groups, if they're on their own or in a group? What should I say?
    It's all good provided you're friendly enough. If they turn their nose up at you then they can GTFO considering you were only trying to make friends. The hardest part is talking to somebody after meeting somebody a bit rude because you'll get this mindset that everybody's gonna be like that (which isn't the case).

I'm in a slightly similar situation to you because I couldn't be arsed joining any socities.

ReputationRep:
    You could ask them how they're finding the course, how their summer was, if theres any problems your having with your course you could ask for their help, if people are heading to the library, you could ask if you can join them. Just be confident and get talking to them. Once you know them a bit better you could maybe organise a night out!?
    There will be new people at your societies you could try and get to know or maybe join a new one.

It's all good provided you're friendly enough. If they turn their nose up at you then they can GTFO considering you were only trying to make friends. The hardest part is talking to somebody after meeting somebody a bit rude because you'll get this mindset that everybody's gonna be like that (which isn't the case).

I'm in a slightly similar situation to you because I couldn't be arsed joining any socities.
    Friendly enough how? Like "hi I'm x I just joined this course", but I don't know where to go from there.

Yeah I've decided to join more societies but it's the actual talking I'm unsure what to say.

ReputationRep:
    Just go up to them and say something about the previous lecture or something. I dont go to Uni but i go to college and i always talk about the previous class and how crappy the teacher is and that and it gets a conversation going as they agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Friendly enough how? Like "hi I'm x I just joined this course", but I don't know where to go from there.

Yeah I've decided to join more societies but it's the actual talking I'm unsure what to say.
    Just general questions for small talk like what the course is like, where they're from, how are they finding the uni and so on and so forth. I think it's easier to talk about university and studying to begin with and then move onto something less study-orientated like what societies they're part of and whether they're enjoying it, are they used to living in a city/rural location etc.

Don't ask too many questions though, it makes you look a bit weird if you do, don't be afraid to talk about yourself every now and then. To be honest, I find having an exit is much more useful than being able to start conversation; nothing worse than talking to somebody who is blatantly uncomfortable.

Just general questions for small talk like what the course is like, where they're from, how are they finding the uni and so on and so forth. I think it's easier to talk about university and studying to begin with and then move onto something less study-orientated like what societies they're part of and whether they're enjoying it, are they used to living in a city/rural location etc.

Don't ask too many questions though, it makes you look a bit weird if you do, don't be afraid to talk about yourself every now and then. To be honest, I find having an exit is much more useful than being able to start conversation; nothing worse than talking to somebody who is blatantly uncomfortable.
    Ok thanks for the help I'll try that.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i used to be a regular forumer on TSR but totally forgot my account and stuff, but Hi!!

I'm in the same situation. I am starting classes for my second year of uni next week and i haven't really made any friends in my course, i'm alright with my old flatmates and my current housemates so thats ok..the thing is there are no asians in my course so it is harder in a way that i can't talk to people from the same background in the first year, and some of them have been too westernized, so yeah. i see some potential friends because they tend to sit alone and i always want to go up to them and say hi but then one of their friends come along so it;s hard also.. so i don't know what to do but have an idea that i shoudl say how was ur summer blah blah along those lines

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.