Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a random question, but recently I've been thinking a lot about whether uni is a worthwhile experience, and whether people actually enjoy it. Basically I'm going to uni in Lincoln in September but I'm going to be commuting, so I feel like I might be missing out a bit. However, when I speak to people living at uni it doesn't sound like all it's cracked up to be. For example, my friend is at uni in Reading and was seriously debating giving it up and coming home. My other friend is at De Montfort and seems miserable all the time. My sister tried living at uni for 2 months but hated it and pulled out. On top of feeling lonely/scared about being away from home, having to cope with living people you don't know stealing your food etc., fire alarms going off in the middle of the night, people not clearing up, and just the whole daunting experiences people have told me about, it's really made me wonder whether living at uni is all it's cracked up to be anyway. So, what is everyone else's experiences at uni been like? Do/have you enjoyed it? Is it as scary/lonely as a lot of people make out, or is it a really worthwhile experience, meeting loads of new people etc?

ReputationRep:
    Best. Time. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, no.

The academic stuff is totally irrelevant to life. Who leaves uni and writes essays? Nobody.

The only redeeming features for me are the friends, the drinking, the sport, and the dining clubs.

Can't wait to get out, though.

ReputationRep:
    I went and moved away from home last year. Absolutely hated it. I had more freedom at home than I did at uni. So I'm going in Sept and living at home Everyone's different though and I can understand how most people will be glad to get away from home but that just wasn't what was best for me!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely loved it!

ReputationRep:
    I love it.
    I am enjoying every aspect of it.

ReputationRep:
    Academically, meh...

Otherwise its fantastic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invictus_88)
    Frankly, no.

The academic stuff is totally irrelevant to life. Who leaves uni and writes essays? Nobody.

solicitors & barristers ...

ReputationRep:
    Uni has been OK so far. I do find being away from home and with people I don't know that well a bit stressful though, but it can be fun, of course. There are some downsides; people not clearing up after themselves/stealing your food/having to live with people you wouldn't normally choose to (these problems are more relevant when living in halls). However, I have made some good friends and have become more indepedent after being there for two years - so I am definitely glad I decided to go to uni, despite the negatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Codeine Addict)
    solicitors & barristers ...
    Gosh. What exciting stuff. Where do I sign?

Oh, wait. Almost forgot. I have a life to live. How unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    your friends must have sociial disorders...

ReputationRep:
    1st year of uni was the most enjoyable year of my life so far, and I see no reason why the forecoming terms will be any different.

And at least for me, academically I love it, I find the content fascinating, I love how my independent thought is actually evaluated as well.

And ofc socially epic as well.

ReputationRep:
    your friends are lame

ReputationRep:
    Who leaves uni and writes essays? Nobody.

Have you heard of these things... um called...

Books?

However, I agree that 99% of people who leave uni won't ever write an essay, even less a book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Have you heard of these things... um called...

Books?

However, I agree that 99% of people who leave uni won't ever write an essay, even less a book
    Most people will probably write. People will write reports, articles, briefings, speeches and books, but almost nobody will write essays.

But what are the vast majority of students taught to write?

Essays.

God-damn. My venemous hatred of essays is unbounded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    your friends must have sociial disorders...
    No they don't, they still go out and have a good time when they're at uni, it's just there's a lot more to it than going out and getting hammered.

ReputationRep:
    Most people will probably write. People will write reports, articles, briefings, speeches and books, but almost nobody will write essays.

But what are the vast majority of students taught to write?

Essays.

God-damn. My venemous hatred of essays is unbounded.

:rofl: I can sympathise, although I personally quite enjoy writing up a lot (essays).

I think more enraging than essays are tests - there is no way that a job would involve sitting a test under the cirtumstances that we do at school/uni.

ReputationRep:
    I had a horrible first year and one of my friends almost dropped out (although, things turned around for the better eventually for her), I know another two people who haven't really made friends and are leaving for another uni.
    I also have many friends who are having a brilliant time.

Thing is, there's this over-inflated social concept of university as being 'the best time of your life' which means that those who don't fit into that neat little box feel completely alone and these cases get ignored.
    Fact is that some enjoy it, others do not but you wont know until you get out there and give it a go. And what works for some wont work for all so don't be afraid to try again.
    Almost everyone has these anxieties, and you'll have the security of living at home, don't panic and it'll all be fine!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you find friends and like your course. You're good to go

ReputationRep:
    Its amazing, these last two years have been the best of my life

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.