Turn on thread page Beta

Do you actually enjoy being at university? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahlou27)
    Bit of a random question, but recently I've been thinking a lot about whether uni is a worthwhile experience, and whether people actually enjoy it. Basically I'm going to uni in Lincoln in September but I'm going to be commuting, so I feel like I might be missing out a bit. However, when I speak to people living at uni it doesn't sound like all it's cracked up to be. For example, my friend is at uni in Reading and was seriously debating giving it up and coming home. My other friend is at De Montfort and seems miserable all the time. My sister tried living at uni for 2 months but hated it and pulled out. On top of feeling lonely/scared about being away from home, having to cope with living people you don't know stealing your food etc., fire alarms going off in the middle of the night, people not clearing up, and just the whole daunting experiences people have told me about, it's really made me wonder whether living at uni is all it's cracked up to be anyway. So, what is everyone else's experiences at uni been like? Do/have you enjoyed it? Is it as scary/lonely as a lot of people make out, or is it a really worthwhile experience, meeting loads of new people etc?
    I'm not at uni or anything but honestly, LIFE ISN'T EASY, and surely it's better to learn to cope with it at 18 than living with your parents at 30. When you're older you'll have to be independent, get into financial ****, live with idiots and loads more, so learn now rather than sit at home while mummy makes you sandwiches. People get into all sorts of crap, and most of us stopped feeling homesick at 10. Fire alarms in the middle of the night? That's 1 hour of sleep lost, oh noez. If you go out to just find problems then yeah you'll find them, but tbh I'd rather get over it and look at the 100s of positives. If you genuinely feel you won't enjoy uni then maybe it's not for you, because it isn't for everybody.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I really enjoy it. It took until the third term of first year to be able to say that, but now I honestly can. Being independent, living with friends, using my brain, meeting such a range of people: its great. It just takes a while to settle into it all, thats the only problem! Most of my friends have really enjoyed it as well, although there are also a lot of people who are waiting for it to finish (but I think thats mostly so they can move back to London lol). It completely depends on each person, but go there feeling positive and make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    People can annoy me at Uni, but its the same anywhere. And in general I think the uni experiance has helped me to learn alot about alot, so in answer to the question yeahhh I love uni! Sad I've only got one more year left

ReputationRep:
    I go to a rather posh, top 10 university and I've found the academic side to be absolutely superb.

The people, on the other hand, are boring as hell. Often, I just want to grab them and scream in their faces. Perhaps that would liven them up a bit. Whenever I'm at university, I miss my friends from home.

Then again, perhaps I just had a bad draw with my flatmates.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't at first, now I love it and actually hate being at home

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really enjoy it. All my good friends were at home/other unis and Kent is a MUCH nicer place than Nottingham. I always wanted to be back home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    Thing is, there's this over-inflated social concept of university as being 'the best time of your life' which means that those who don't fit into that neat little box feel completely alone and these cases get ignored.
    Which type of people wouldnt fit in well?
    The ones who arent good at making new friends?
    I heard freshers week is the best time!

ReputationRep:
    Best experience of my life. And it wouldn't have been anywhere near the same had I not lived in halls.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stainluss)
    Which type of people wouldnt fit in well?
    The ones who arent good at making new friends?
    I heard freshers week is the best time!
    Having fun with friends you've actually made, not randomers you've latched on to because you're afraid of being a loner is the best time.
    Freshers' week wasn't that great imo, although it might just be because of my course. I think we had to be in 3/4 days of that first week and were told that our first tests would be 2 weeks later. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy it a lot, yeah. It can be stressful at times, but there are so many new experiences to be had, so many intellectually stimulating lectures to sit through, so many great people to meet... I would hate to not go to university.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be commuting everyday to London. Staying home in Surrey, correct choice I hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    The people, on the other hand, are boring as hell. Often, I just want to grab them and scream in their faces.
    I laughed so hard when I read this :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    Apart from a few ********* I've met, I absolutely love uni, and said ********* could have been met anywhere to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    I am not even there yet and I'm already loving the uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it going back into halls this year seriously worried it wont be as good as last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahlou27)
    No they don't, they still go out and have a good time when they're at uni, it's just there's a lot more to it than going out and getting hammered.
    Yes.. alot more. Staying in and getting hammered :woo:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have a love-hate relationship with uni. I love my course, my uni and my mates but everything becomes a bit of a drag when I'm ill... which happens to be most of the time!

I've really enjoyed it so far.

However I did not expect there to be so many retards. At sixth-form I was in the minority. :/

ReputationRep:
    I would say your friends are in the minority, which is unfortunate for them. Uni was absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm quite depressed at the thought I've only got a year left lol.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.