Turn on thread page Beta

Do you actually enjoy being at university? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-77)
    Yes.. alot more. Staying in and getting hammered :woo:
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm at the point now when I'm just indifferent towards it.

Socially, yes. I am so much happier at uni than I was in Sixth Form and secondary school. The past year has been one of the best in my life.

In regards to my course, no. The past year was just like doing the Politics A Level all over again, the courses were really only designed for those that didn't do the A Level. Although that will change in second year, as I'll actually be learning this time.

ReputationRep:
    yes. most of the time, I really enjoy it. I love living in manchester and I love my friends there (most of the time). My course was...alright, I found the compulsory modules pretty dull but that'll change this year as I got to pick all of my modules. Most of all, I loved halls, halls was so much fun - I don't think I would have enjoyed university at all if I hadn't left home.

As for all the "bad stuff" mentioned in the OP, that's just incredibly petty. Yes, sometimes the people you're living with can be annoying or steal a bit of your curry paste or set off fire alarms at four in the morning - it's irritating, but hardly life-threatening. If that's the sort of thing that's going to ruin your entire experience, then don't go into halls or, better yet, get a thicker skin.

ReputationRep:
    As regards your mates, maybe those particular universities just weren't for them :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    socially, it's pretty good.
    academically, the course is good, I'm just not as interested in physics as I used to be.

ReputationRep:
    To a large extent it is what you get out of it. Like going anywhere new, you have to suck up pride/lack of confidence/homesickness/whatever. The most important thing is to talk to people. The fact that your friend had people she didn't know stealing her food hints at the real problem - you should introduce yourself to the people who share a kitchen with you ASAP.

Obviously uni isn't for everybody, but a lot of the problems people have are associated with moving out/living on your own/getting independence rather than uni itself

ReputationRep:
    It was alright. Having to do exams and essays and attend excruciatingly boring lectures was awful. The social/friends side of things was fine and all but I mean... I did the same sort of stuff with my friends before I went to uni and continue to do them after finishing so there was hardly anything groundbreaking on that front either other than extending my circle of friends slightly.

ReputationRep:
    im tired now of uni
    but its neither that brill nor that bad

ReputationRep:
    Ive not started yet, start in september, but most people ive asked enjoyed it.
    the people who didn't enjoy it, through work load or stress, where the ones who didn't study much till exams or end of terms, and wasted all the loans pretty quickly

ReputationRep:
    Just put arsenic or absinthe in your milk then leave it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    yes. most of the time, I really enjoy it. I love living in manchester and I love my friends there (most of the time). My course was...alright, I found the compulsory modules pretty dull but that'll change this year as I got to pick all of my modules. Most of all, I loved halls, halls was so much fun - I don't think I would have enjoyed university at all if I hadn't left home.

As for all the "bad stuff" mentioned in the OP, that's just incredibly petty. Yes, sometimes the people you're living with can be annoying or steal a bit of your curry paste or set off fire alarms at four in the morning - it's irritating, but hardly life-threatening. If that's the sort of thing that's going to ruin your entire experience, then don't go into halls or, better yet, get a thicker skin.
    Well, it's not petty really. I'd love to go and enjoy the whole uni life but that's just the thing, I'm not sure I actually WOULD enjoy it. I asked my sister (who has completed uni) whether she enjoyed it and it was worth the experience, and all I got was "Well, I got a degree." She said that yes, you can go out and get hammered every night if you want, but not if you want to get a DECENT degree at the end of it. I hear of people going out every night, turning up late to lectures etc. and breezing through it and passing. But that's all they're getting, a pass, nothing higher. And as for the fire alarms etc., things like that DO add up and if you've got an important exam the next day when someone decides to set the alarm off, it IS going be a problem. I'm not sure if I could cope with the prospect of the work that comes with a degree as well as a living in a whole new place with loads of people I don't know, and being so far away from any sort of support system. I'm not attacking the uni experience by any means, I'd love to have the determination and stamina to actually get out there and enjoy it, but like many of you have said, living at uni simply isn't for everyone. It's completely each to their own, and I'm not sure if it's for me, but I guess I'll never know until I try.

ReputationRep:
    I loved university; every second of it, and it made me who I am today - but the time after has been even better, so far.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had experience living in a dorm but, as regards being in the university during and in-between classes: I enjoy every bit of it. You could meet up with your professors and have a chat about what you recently learned concerning the lecture or just chillax with your friends and talk about random stuff that goes on. Or if your seeking to be a little recluse, grab a book from the library and sit down in a corner and lick the book from the beginning to the end. You can always finish your homework if you don't feel like doing anything else or take a ride out of campus if you feel like you need some alone time.

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people who had similar experiences to your friends OP but also a lot of people who loved going away to University. To all the posters who implied if you don't enjoy living in halls etc then your a social retard, thats just not true. I think it really comes down to what is right for the individual.

I loved my University experience, some years I lived at home and some years I lived with friends. It was fun going out several times a week, having drinks between classes and generally not taking things seriously in the first couple of years but I also enjoyed getting into my course properly and putting the work in to it in the last couple. I personally would have hated living in halls and am glad I never had to endure it but I know many others do have a great time.

I think you need to sit down, weigh up the pros and cons and decide which option suits you best.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, but it's different than being in my home town. For example at uni, there is more focus on work, it is more social (although not as much during the summer), as well as perhaps more "limitation" if you like. At home there are various amenities which contribute to the comfort zone, although there are more distractions in terms of work In my home town for example rollerskating and fly r/c models are like my main hobbies. However, the 1st year at uni can get a bit tough due to settling in etc. They are both good in their own ways =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahlou27)
    Well, it's not petty really. I'd love to go and enjoy the whole uni life but that's just the thing, I'm not sure I actually WOULD enjoy it. I asked my sister (who has completed uni) whether she enjoyed it and it was worth the experience, and all I got was "Well, I got a degree." She said that yes, you can go out and get hammered every night if you want, but not if you want to get a DECENT degree at the end of it. I hear of people going out every night, turning up late to lectures etc. and breezing through it and passing. But that's all they're getting, a pass, nothing higher. And as for the fire alarms etc., things like that DO add up and if you've got an important exam the next day when someone decides to set the alarm off, it IS going be a problem. I'm not sure if I could cope with the prospect of the work that comes with a degree as well as a living in a whole new place with loads of people I don't know, and being so far away from any sort of support system. I'm not attacking the uni experience by any means, I'd love to have the determination and stamina to actually get out there and enjoy it, but like many of you have said, living at uni simply isn't for everyone. It's completely each to their own, and I'm not sure if it's for me, but I guess I'll never know until I try.
    As far as my experience went, stuff like fire alarms or having a messy kitchen was absolutely a petty problem. I think it's a shame if little things like that are putting you off the entire uni experience.

If you don't want to go to university because you don't feel ready to leave home yet, or you think it would be overwhelming - then that's perfectly understandable. But not going into halls because you're worried about a fire alarm going off the day before an exam? if your OP was asking if that sort of stuff is genuinely a problem, it's not, and you shouldn't let it put you off.

ReputationRep:
    College (or "Uni" in UK speak) is the best. time. ever. Anyone who isn't having a blast isn't doing it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LvStrong)
    College (or "Uni" in UK speak) is the best. time. ever. Anyone who isn't having a blast isn't doing it right.
    You mean English; the language you speak.

We have college and university.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i love it sooooooooo much and i've never even lived in halls (my uni doesnt have them so you have to rent from the start!)

its been such a blast and i cant wait to go back in a few weeks

even the course is bloody brilliant:daydreaming:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.