Turn on thread page Beta

Do you actually enjoy being at university? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    You mean English; the language you speak.

We have college and university.
    hmm, I never knew that. We refer to everything as "college" over here. we have institutions titled ".... college" and the "university of ....." but they are the same thing, just different naming.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I think college is supposed to refer to the years when one is a freshman or sophomore and after one is done being them, he/she moves on the university which should constitute one's major studies. But, you're right no one really makes a distinction these days...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LvStrong)
    hmm, I never knew that. We refer to everything as "college" over here. we have institutions titled ".... college" and the "university of ....." but they are the same thing, just different naming.
    Over here, college is basically for access courses (some university courses require these, or will favour you for having them) resitting failed exams, or 1-2 year courses.

University is much harder than college - generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    Over here, college is basically for access courses (some university courses require these, or will favour you for having them) resitting failed exams, or 1-2 year courses.

University is much harder than college - generally.
    or doing courses for the first time. You can still do A-levels first time round in a college. (Though I notice you're Scottish, but I'm not entirely sure how things work there apart from Highers/Adv. Highers)

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend that you stay in halls for atleast your first year to settle into the uni and get to know people. After that if commuting makes sense then go for it but you may decide you want to live closer by.

I spent my first year in halls. I wouldn't say i had the most sociable halls, i would have preferred Oak House or OP (very large halls noted for their social scene but with inferior facilities) from that aspect, but the facilities were good. That got me settled into looking after myself. Who cares about fire alarms in first year, it doesn't count anyway.

Last year i got my fingers burnt with a **** house and that is why next year i am going to commute in, but i have only done this because i am ready settled at the uni. I have friends with houses were i can sleep if necessary, so that doesn't exclude me from nights out etc.

I do enjoy Uni. My course could be better organised and sometimes the amount of work is a bit of a drag, but nobody said it was going to easy. I do enjoy the freedom it gives me though to do what i want when i want, with most of my lecture material online i can study when i choose.

It is what you make of it. I don't particulary enjoy going out to clubs several times a week, so i don't do that. I prefer the pub and if you can find a group of like minded people then you will be sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie87)
    I didn't really enjoy it. All my good friends were at home/other unis and Kent is a MUCH nicer place than Nottingham. I always wanted to be back home.
    what did you find wrong with nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    I go to a rather posh, top 10 university and I've found the academic side to be absolutely superb.

The people, on the other hand, are boring as hell. Often, I just want to grab them and scream in their faces. Perhaps that would liven them up a bit. Whenever I'm at university, I miss my friends from home.

Then again, perhaps I just had a bad draw with my flatmates.
    what uni do you go to?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.