Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The word "racist" is simply a weapon wielded by uneducated demagogues to dodge debate Watch

ReputationRep:
    This word has never been conclusively defined. Every definition has been contested and adapted so as (a) to fit the socio-political state of the time, and (b) show that the word is ridiculously broad. For example, I look at dictionary.com, and the definition of 'racism' is "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others". But then there's also, "hatred or intolerance of another race or other races". The Collins Dictionary & Thesaurus also offers "abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race". Others have told me that 'racism' encapsulates religion, and societal customs. The simple fact being that there have been literally hundreds of different definitions, and no-one seems to be certain of its exact meaning. Which is why I'm so perplexed as to why people fire it at others with no hesitency, with such an assertiveness and positivity that makes onlookers think this verbal diarrhoea is actually substantial.

The overriding point being that the word is too wide-ranging. Language should be used according to varying degrees of race-related behaviour. Instead of firing the one word "racist" at everything that deals with the subject, use words like ethnocentrism; if it goes further than that then racial hatred, and ultimately ethnocide. To shove all these under one banner that says "racist" is callous in that it goes some way towards downplaying the serious by associating them with the petty. For example, I find it extraordinary that there is a single word that can encapsulate both the enforcers of Rwandan genocide, or the Holocaust, as well as someone merely making a racial slur in a pub. It's fairly obvious that the word is nothing but an emotive weapon. A tool by which someone can discredit their opponent, by associating them with an ambiguous taboo concept and automatically get an upper hand. I mean, hey, if you want to reduce your opponent to the level of Hitler and formulate for yourself some linguistic moral high ground then what could be more convenient?

ReputationRep:
    How would you describe yourself, or your views on racial matters; if it's not 'racist'?

I'm fairly new but just reading a few of your posts and the responses, I'd say that was spot on.

ReputationRep:
    how dare you say that! You racist!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    if someone said "all americans are arrogant", is that racist or stereotyping?
    either way, i think its as bad as racism
    some food for thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    How would you describe yourself, or your views on racial matters; if it's not 'racist'?

I'm fairly new but just reading a few of your posts and the responses, I'd say that was spot on.
    You can't say it's "spot on" because by which of the hundreds of definitions are you basing it on?

ReputationRep:
    As with far too many things these days, the word "racism" is used to describe many actions in order to be understood by the lowest common denominator. By all means use the terms ethnocentrism and ethnocide, just don't expect Joe Public to understand.

ReputationRep:
    To be racist you pre-judge people on their race.

END OF THREAD.

ReputationRep:
    It has been used to much and the mean of it has literally been devalued.
    Partly by PC morons, and generally by a load of other people.

I think we should have a country wide campaign to make people use the word properly. Every time they say it they have to explain why and if it's not good enough they get slap around the face.

Anyway...

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Which is why I'm so perplexed as to why people fire it at others with no hesitency, with such an assertiveness and positivity that makes onlookers think this verbal diarrhoea is actually substantial.
    People "fire it at others with no hesitancy" because they either don't know the proper meaning of the word or they are pillocks.

It does devalue the meaning of the word but in the right situation it is still possible to use it effectively.

For example Ron Atkinson's rant about a black football player was racist when called that player a "lazy n-word".

It can still be used in the right context.

ReputationRep:
    Come off it. You know what it means, and most people know what it means. Your ridiculous argument is simply a method to try and pull the label off of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Come off it. You know what it means, and most people know what it means. Your ridiculous argument is simply a method to try and pull the label off of yourself.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    You care too much.

ReputationRep:
    If you can define it for me now, without anyone being able to contest it, then you'd be revered by dictionary companies worldwide. Go on genius. If you think "most people know what it means", when it actually means nothing really, I'm sure it would be easy for you to come up with a conclusive definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    You care too much.
    So I guess you think it's a good thing that an innocent comment about immigrants in a pub can be treated on par with the Holocaust?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    So I guess you think it's a good thing that an innocent comment about immigrants in a pub can be treated on par with the Holocaust?
    I don't care.

If it doesn't hurt anyone, it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with being racist :confused:

I believe my race is superior to others, just like my football team, etc..

That doesn't make me a bad person

ReputationRep:
    Not every dictionary in the world has exactly the same definition for every word. Shall we just dismiss the whole English language then?

And how can being racist mean "nothing"?

Those two definitions you refer to in the OP are not mutually exclusive, and both mean essentially the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    How many times have you been called racist then OP?

ReputationRep:
    Not every dictionary in the world has exactly the same definition for every word. Shall we just dismiss the whole English language then?
    Don't be so stupid. Difference in word usage isn't the issue. The issue is difference in semantics.

And how can being racist mean "nothing"?
    This question is meaningless because I don't even know what you mean by "being racist". It's a hollow term used by your lot to discredit your opponents and dodge rational debate. In a way, I find it disgusting how you'd use something as intense as the memory of the Holocaust to your own ends.

Those two definitions you refer to in the OP are not mutually exclusive, and both mean essentially the same thing.
    No they don't. They concern differences in intensity. How on earth are there not differences between attitude and action? Between hatred and a conciousness of ethnicity? Between genocide and slurs? This is coming from the person who thinks criticising religion is racist. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    And, too, the obvious fact is that I'm not talking about omitting the word from the dictionary anyway. I'm talking about day-to-day usage of it.

ReputationRep:
    Racism can happen in offical and non offical terms, and can vary to which ethnic group it happens to. For example In my opinion German shops in Britain being mauled by a mob of British crowds is a racial attack. If you subject a group to hostile pressure then your being racist.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.