Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is an ECS reference number and how do you get them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildStriker)
    What is an ECS reference number and how do you get them?
    Can you give us the context?

ReputationRep:
    It is needed to quote on the transaction to ensure rent monies are paid to the correct mainstay account.

I wanted to know an ECS reference number is.

ReputationRep:
    Does this help?

And this, in particular:

ReputationRep:
    Is it important that you know the reference number before you transfer your money to mainstay?

The letter that I have received from them said that I must contact them to find out what the number is, but when I phone them they told me that I just had to give my name to my local bank to make a transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildStriker)
    Is it important that you know the reference number before you transfer your money to mainstay?

The letter that I have received from them said that I must contact them to find out what the number is, but when I phone them they told me that I just had to give my name to my local bank to make a transfer.
    I've got no direct experience with them myself, but essentially you need to make sure that the reference details for your payment can be traced back to you. I'm surprised that they couldn't give you the reference when you spoke to them, but I'd suggest that you give them another quick call if they weren't clear before. Be very specific and ask precisely what you should include in the reference field - and take the details of the person you speak to in case of any problems.

If they said that including your name would be sufficient, then it probably means that someone will manually check the reference details for payments they receive, so you'll *probably* be okay with just your name.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.