Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how do I prove this ?? Can I use the axiom of extensionality
    {x∈ A' l P(x)}= {x∈ A l P(x)}

ReputationRep:
    The axiom of extensionality states a set A is equal to set B if for all x , x an element of A is implied and implied by x is an element of B - i.e. memebership uniquely determines a set. I don't see why this would be needed [or what you are asking to prove].

But if A' means the complement of A then the two sets are definitely not equal [as P(x) must be satisfied by some element in your universe that is either in A or A' - it cannot be in both].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    The axiom of extensionality states a set A is equal to set B if for all x , x an element of A is implied and implied by x is an element of B - i.e. memebership uniquely determines a set. I don't see why this would be needed [or what you are asking to prove].

But if A' means the complement of A then the two sets are definitely not equal [as P(x) must be satisfied by some element in your universe that is either in A or A' - it cannot be in both].
    So are you saying they asked me to prove a false statement:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    So are you saying they asked me to prove a false statement:confused:
    I was saying that I don't know what your notation is - if you wrote the question out exactly then that what would be great. (Also I was assuming P(x) was well defined and actually some property that could be possessed by some element in your universe - if that is not the case then both sets would be empty and trivially the same).

ReputationRep:
    I was saying that I don't know what your notation is - if you wrote the question out exactly then that what would be great. (Also I was assuming P(x) was well defined and actually some property that could be possessed by some element in your universe - if that is not the case then both sets would be empty and trivially the same).
    this is what the textbook says

"If there is a set A ,such that for all x ,P(x) implies x ∈ A, then {x∈ A l P(x)} exists.and moreover does not depend on A. That means if set A' is another such set such that for all x, P(x) implies x∈A' , then
    {x∈ A' l P(x)}= {x∈ A l P(x)}"

It then says prove it .

ReputationRep:
    this is what the textbook says

"If there is a set A ,such that for all x ,P(x) implies x ∈ A, then {x∈ A' l P(x)} exists.and moreover does not depend on A. That means if set A' is another such set such that for all x, P(x) implies x∈A' , then

It then says prove it .
    Well that doesn't seem true. Take A = {1,2,3,4,...} and P(x) the property that x is even. Then { x in A ; P(x) } is the set {2,4,6...}. Take A' which is {4,5,6,7,8..}. Clearly you have problems as they are not equal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think A' means the compliment set in this case but just another set it would be better if it said B.

Yeah, I think you just use the axiom of extensionality.

P.S. Stupid notation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    I don't think A' means the compliment set in this case but just another set it would be better if it said B.

Yeah, I think you just use the axiom of extensionality.

P.S. Stupid notation.
    Please state how the axiom of extensionality is used here...

ReputationRep:
    Well, DeanK22

I will get back to you. :confused:

I just got owned. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Well that doesn't seem true. Take A = {1,2,3,4,...} and P(x) the property that x is even. Then { x in A ; P(x) } is the set {2,4,6...}. Take A' which is {4,5,6,7,8..}. Clearly you have problems as they are not equal.
    sorry there is a mistake in the first line of my quote from the text book it should have been A instead of A' in {x∈ A' l P(x)}

Just edited

ReputationRep:
    What book is this from - alot of things look like definitions to me.

ReputationRep:
    What book is this from - alot of things look like definitions to me.
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-R.../dp/0824779150

ReputationRep:
    "If there is a set A ,such that for all x ,P(x) implies x ∈ A, then {x∈ A l P(x)} exists.and moreover does not depend on A. That means if set A' is another such set such that for all x, P(x) implies x∈A' , then

It then says prove it .
    The first coloured section is stating that if we take every element in our Universe of Discourse with some property, P(x) [for example P(x) could be x is yellow or something] then A contains every element that satisfies P(x). It is exactly identical to the case for A' - except instead of using the letter A you have used the letter A'. So it is similar to writing;

\int_a^b f(t)dt = \int_a^b f(x)dx

Spoiler:
    Show
    yeah you use extensionality in the argument to show that both sets are identical

ReputationRep:
    The first coloured section is stating that if we take every element in our Universe of Discourse with some property, P(x) [for example P(x) could be x is yellow or something] then A contains every element that satisfies P(x). It is exactly identical to the case for A' - except instead of using the letter A you have used the letter A'. So it is similar to writing;

\int_a^b f(t)dt = \int_a^b f(x)dx

Spoiler:
    Show
    yeah you use extensionality in the argument to show that both sets are identical
    thanks got it..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sigh.

If P(x) is the statement "x is even", then P(x) implies x is in A', so A' must contain 2 (just like A). Then {x in A | P(x)} is the set of all even numbers in A, and {x in A' | P(x)} is the set of all even numbers in A', which happen to be the same set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Sigh.

If P(x) is the statement "x is even", then P(x) implies x is in A', so A' must contain 2 (just like A). Then {x in A | P(x)} is the set of all even numbers in A, and {x in A' | P(x)} is the set of all even numbers in A', which happen to be the same set.
    So is A' the same set as A , as in they both contain only positive integers?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So is A' the same set as A , as in they both contain only positive integers?
    No. DeanK22 is talking out of his arse, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Sigh.

I even said this was wrong afterwards and explained the conditions on the sets - tbh why did you bother quoting this?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I even said this was wrong afterwards and explained the conditions on the sets - tbh why did you bother quoting this?
    Because not very much that you've said in this thread has been correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.