Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so whenever i tell people I'm gonna be living in Brighton (if I get in), aside from the whole gay thing, people always mention living on the sea and how awesome that will be.
    Obviously I agree but I just wandered how much the beach, the sea, the pier and the whole tourism thing actually affects and comes into your every day life.

Do people actually spend time on te beach, doing touristy stuff and eating candy floss whilst making a living on the 2p amusements?

ReputationRep:
    2p amusements? Where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    2p amusements? Where?
    Well I don't know Brighton at all but I saw some when I was there

ReputationRep:
    lol Yeah thats what we do down south :P I live a bit along the coast from brighton, living by the seaside is great! It's like normal life i guess.. but with freshh sea air! The novelty of the beach, candyfloss and 2p amusements do wear of though im afraid. Those things are generally there for the tourists in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    No one really goes on the pier except for tourists and 12 year olds. I have been in the sea a couple of times so far this year and it's been really nice but last year I only went in once. It really depends on the weather and how scummy the water is.

We do go down to the beach quite a bit but not to do those typical touristy things (I don't think I've had a candyfloss for years)

Good luck getting in, Brighton's a great place to live!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfhaffyduck)
    lol Yeah thats what we do down south :P I live a bit along the coast from brighton, living by the seaside is great! It's like normal life i guess.. but with freshh sea air! The novelty of the beach, candyfloss and 2p amusements do wear of though im afraid. Those things are generally there for the tourists in my opinion.
    Don't say that! :eek: lol.
    I don't think I could ever get over candyfloss. Still I can't see myself really being that fussed by the beach as I currently don't even like them anyway. Thanks for the positive response though

(Original post by d.b.asf)
    No one really goes on the pier except for tourists and 12 year olds. I have been in the sea a couple of times so far this year and it's been really nice but last year I only went in once. It really depends on the weather and how scummy the water is.

We do go down to the beach quite a bit but not to do those typical touristy things (I don't think I've had a candyfloss for years)

Good luck getting in, Brighton's a great place to live!
    Well thank god cuz I can't swim and therefore won't be going in the sea anway lol.
    And thank you I've heard such good things about it. I will be so let down if I don't get in.

ReputationRep:
    Plus another thing is that having the sea at one edge of the city, means if you're new to Brighton you won't get lost so easily. Anywhere near the centre you are always aware which way is the sea (therefore south) so you find where you're going quite soon.

ReputationRep:
    There are better beaches in Brighton that aren't right by the pier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    Better for what? For some things the ones by the pier are the best :yes:

Edit: Reading it back that makes me sound like a drug dealer, but I didn't mean that

ReputationRep:
    i think that anyone moving to brighton for uni is gonna have a great time! the only reason i didn't choose to go uni here is that i already live here so wanted to move away. I'm going to a uni that is still by the sea as i cannot imagine living inland lol. It's nice just being able to sit on the beach with you're friends, with some drinks and music. but yeh i also agree that the pier and stuff is mainly a tourist attraction lol still go check it out though! oh and you'll be spoilt for choice for fish n chip shops! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waheyyyy)
    Better for what? For some things the ones by the pier are the best :yes:

Edit: Reading it back that makes me sound like a drug dealer, but I didn't mean that
    ...Like staring at drunk tourists at 3PM?

ReputationRep:
    ...Like staring at drunk tourists at 3PM?
    Meeting people is one thing they are good for. I've met loads of randoms there; Uni students, foreign students etc. I've never seen a drunk tourist at 3pm though...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, but probably not.

Howdy OP. I will probably be going to Sussex this year too, this was something I was curious about. I'd like to be able to have cosy barbecues on the beach from time to time.

Also, despite staying for a weekend in Brighton, I haven't actually been on the pier. Shock horror.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_F!!)
    you'll be spoilt for choice for fish n chip shops! haha
    I knew there was a good reason for going to Sussex :P lol. Is there a defined locals shop and a toursists shop? The lil gem that's hidden down some back alley somewhere. lol

(Original post by Sanyore)
    Howdy OP. I will probably be going to Sussex this year too, this was something I was curious about. I'd like to be able to have cosy barbecues on the beach from time to time.
    Hey well I'll have to join you for one of them sometime then, as that sounds like a perfect night out to me :p:

ReputationRep:
    I go to Brighton occasionally, but I always am a little sceptical of mentioning to people, because of the gay thing. Why is Brighton associated with gays? Surely it's no worse than London in that regard? Yet people go to London for shopping/leisure/tourism all the time and don't have the gay stigma hanging over them...

Anyway, for me, the day begins when I get PAST the pier and do the 6 mile walk to the Marina. :yes: I love to walk arund the breakwaters, especially if the waves are rough enough to get splashed.

The drive thru McDonalds is also a highlight for me. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabbaman98)
    I knew there was a good reason for going to Sussex :P lol. Is there a defined locals shop and a toursists shop? The lil gem that's hidden down some back alley somewhere. lol

Hey well I'll have to join you for one of them sometime then, as that sounds like a perfect night out to me :p:
    erm no don't think so really, but not too sure lol, there is so many along the seafront though lol two lil gems you will probably get to know after a night out is RFC - fried chicken shop, they sometimes even have a bouncer it gets so busy haha. and Buddies, along the seafront, open all night, outside seating ect nothing like a full english at 4am after a night out lol hope you have loads of fun at uni here!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_F!!)
    erm no don't think so really, but not too sure lol, there is so many along the seafront though lol two lil gems you will probably get to know after a night out is RFC - fried chicken shop, they sometimes even have a bouncer it gets so busy haha. and Buddies, along the seafront, open all night, outside seating ect nothing like a full english at 4am after a night out lol hope you have loads of fun at uni here!!
    Lol dammit, I wanted the inside info. But haha that does sound fantastic. Thank you XD I'm sure I will too.

(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Anyway, for me, the day begins when I get PAST the pier and do the 6 mile walk to the Marina. :yes: I love to walk arund the breakwaters, especially if the waves are rough enough to get splashed.

The drive thru McDonalds is also a highlight for me. :cool:
    I was thinking origionally what a healthy, freash person you were. Then the bit about McDonalds kinda ruined that haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabbaman98)
    Bankers! though it's not very hidden. and Grubbs is another place you'll get to know well after a night out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so excited about living near the sea, I've always wanted to are there many arcades? I've got an addition to penny pushers and time crisis.... can't wait to explore!

(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I go to Brighton occasionally, but I always am a little sceptical of mentioning to people, because of the gay thing. Why is Brighton associated with gays? Surely it's no worse than London in that regard? Yet people go to London for shopping/leisure/tourism all the time and don't have the gay stigma hanging over them...
    I see.... well, I highly doubt anyone will assume you're gay and they're ridiculous if they do or even care. Infact, that's possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.

There's (obviously) a much larger gay scene in London anyway - Brighton doesn't compare in many respects. Brighton's more associated in the minds of most people with being quite liberal, diverse and fun; and obviously the area and population are much smaller than London hence the seemingly larger ratio of gay folk. I think its diversity and committment to equality is something to celebrate.

Do you hide your trips to Soho too? Avoid Manchester, Berlin, Amsterdam, San Francisco........ FLORIDA KEYS?! *le sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    I don't know if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, but probably not.
    I feel like elaborating on this. There is a nude beach in Brighton, and I thought it'd be pretty nice to visit sometime. I hear that in the UK they're not that great for women as the number of pervy men generally outnumber the amount of women just seeking time away from clothes, but it'd still be nice... nekkid on the beach and all. With a mat, of course. ******* pebbles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.