Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I had sex ,I used a condom, my period came but a week late and I noticed it was much lighter. Then a few days after it ended I had another bit of a bleed (very light). I thought I better take a pregnancy test to make sure to put my mind at ease and i've done it today and it has come out positive. Is there anyway it could be a false positive?
    My period before the one i just got which was a week late was on June 16th - I've been looking around and things are saying i'm 7 weeks pregnant - that can't be right - can it??
    I'm really freaking out someone

ReputationRep:
    Yea if your last period was on June 16th you would be exactly 7 weeks pregnant today. The test will be accurate.

I can't breathe

(Original post by little_green)
    Hope you feel ok soon anon - have you got anyone you can talk to about it?

Sorry to hear about the bratty kids Alexa.
    I can't talk to anyone - especially my family - they are going to kill me
    i want to cry
    i cant breathe
    i'm not even 20 yet

ReputationRep:
    Are you involved with the father still? Or is talking to him not an option?
    It's a lot to take in at first, I seem to remember being completely shell-shocked for a day or two.
    I'm sure people here will be happy to answer any questions that you have about coping with surprise pregnancies though. :hugs:
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I have just moved this out here from the P&P thread because I am about to move it over to soc chat where you won't be able to use anon.

I hope that this is ok.

ReputationRep:
    Pregnancy tests aren't 100% are they? Obviously i you are pregnant then it will be made definite when you see the doctor. Even so, if you don't want to be pregnant you're clinging on to a very small percent chance that it is a false positive.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should defo go see a doctor, but these tests are pretty accurate. when i was on gp, women came in saying 'i had a positive pregnancy test', the gp didn't retest them. he said the home tests now are pretty accurate, as much as hospital urine tests. it's very very unlikely they are wrong, but the only definitive way of seeing if someone is pregnant is blood test and ultrasound.

talk things over with your gp too about how you feel about the pregnancy. he/she can help advise you.

ReputationRep:
    Get to the doctor now, get it confirmed, it's completely anonymous so your parents need not know until you know anything for sure.

If you are pregnant:
    Don't panic. There are many options avaliable to you - would you consider abortion? GP's will refer you to a clinic in your local area - you'll need someone to drive you down there as you can't drive after the procedure so talk to the father or a close friend. I'd reccomend telling your parents, but I have a friend who didn't and although the counsellors would prefer you to tell your parents, it's not essential if you are sure about the procedure. The procedure depends on how far gone you are, and varies from an abortion pill prompting miscarriage or literally birthing the child.

If not, you need to notify the father and your parents as soon as possible and figure out a plan of action - do you want the child adopted? are you going to keep the child? How will you finance it e.c.t? Yes your parents may be upset with you at first, but you need to explain you situation and that you did use protection and hopefully they will come round to your way of thinking - condoms are only 99% effective when used properly, theres a high chance you had the wrong size for example, which you cannot be blamed for - sadly theres often not enough education of this in the school system.

If you are not pregnant, thats great, now go to the doctor to get the contraceptive pill, or an alternative such as the coil, implant or injection. Then to the family planning clinic and get an STI test just in case as this can also be a reason for missed periods.

Pregnancy tests are usually accurate. If you really want reassurance before going to the doctors, buy the best quality test and follow the instructions to the letter.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out alright.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    A false positive is pretty rare. You need to go to your doctors and find out for definite. The sooner you know the better, because you will have more time to make decisions in.

ReputationRep:
    *hugs* sorry you're probably in shock right now

as everyone else has said false positives are extremely rare

You need to book an appointment with your GP, they can advise you on what to do next, and also of support on offer to you

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but you're definitely pregnant. I got a positive on my test and went to the doctor to get it confirmed and as soon as I said I had already did a test at home he said there was no point in him even doing another as the home tests are so accurate that you can't get a false positive and that I was definitely pregnant. Btw I'm not 20 yet and thought my parents would kill me. They haven't.

I don't know your situation, if your with the father or what but you have options so don't panic.

ReputationRep:
    Take another pregnancy test, if I do one, I always have another beside me to do it twice. 99% and 99% of the same answer is basicly 100%

the best thing to do is go and see your doctor, i was still bleeding and thought I was pregnant so I took 4 pregnancy tests, 2 were negative and 2 were positive. After that I went to the doctors, the two pregnancy tests I took there were negative, they also took a blood test so they could be more accurate. Turns out I wasn't pregnant

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.