Turn on thread page Beta

Living at home watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's the situation. I'm currently living at home, with my parents, two brothers and the girlfriend of my oldest brother. I won't be moving out until I graduate from my MA, which will be in about a years time. Elder brother and GF are thankfully moving out in a couple of weeks time, which will then leave yours truly, his younger brother and parents.

6 adults living in a reasonably sized house in suburbia, and it's been like this for the past 5-6 weeks now. It's a good job we've each had holidays and breaks so it's not always been so many people, adults, living under the same roof, sharing the same bathroom, kitchen etc...

It's got ****ing ridiculous this week as we're each to make our own food, so there's 3 sets of two people making their food, staggered throughout the evening.

Would any of you struggle to cope with such a situation? The GF is thankfully a nice person, my brother can be a tit at times, can't we all....

**** rant over. Sooner I move out the ****ing better, even if it's to rented accommodation. Just suddenly reached the point where I think "my quality of life is being negatively affected and moving out, even if it's to rented accommodation (some will say it's wasted money), will improve my quality of life".

Can't bring *****ez back, can't really phone for a takeaway, masturbate privately...

I jest but rlly.

:rolleyes:

Anyone empathise with WHW?

ReputationRep:
    stay out all day

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm back home too. I miss having my own space etc. Let's hope time flies and before you know it we have our own places!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I can OP. Up until around 5 years ago there were 7 of us living under one roof!. There was my Mum and Dad, my younger brother, me, my husband and our 2 kids. It was for the most part quite harmonious, but there were times when it drove me mad. I ended up doing all the cooking so that there werent all of us crowding up the kitchen.I was glad to move out to my own house, if only for the peace and quiet!.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Not really, you're an adult, you choose your own living conditions. :/

ReputationRep:
    My living situation also leaves a lot to be desired. I got back from uni to find that my nan had moved in and had been given my bedroom. I've been on the sofa for 5 weeks now and am fuming. Thank god I'm moving out soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Here's the situation. I'm currently living at home, with my parents, two brothers and the girlfriend of my oldest brother. I won't be moving out until I graduate from my MA, which will be in about a years time. Elder brother and GF are thankfully moving out in a couple of weeks time, which will then leave yours truly, his younger brother and parents.

6 adults living in a reasonably sized house in suburbia, and it's been like this for the past 5-6 weeks now. It's a good job we've each had holidays and breaks so it's not always been so many people, adults, living under the same roof, sharing the same bathroom, kitchen etc...

It's got ****ing ridiculous this week as we're each to make our own food, so there's 3 sets of two people making their food, staggered throughout the evening.

Would any of you struggle to cope with such a situation? The GF is thankfully a nice person, my brother can be a tit at times, can't we all....

**** rant over. Sooner I move out the ****ing better, even if it's to rented accommodation. Just suddenly reached the point where I think "my quality of life is being negatively affected and moving out, even if it's to rented accommodation (some will say it's wasted money), will improve my quality of life".

Can't bring *****ez back, can't really phone for a takeaway, masturbate privately...

I jest but rlly.

:rolleyes:

Monseiur Wizard, so good to hear from you again! How have you been?

Regarding the situation, like you said, your brother and his GF are gonna move out soon so that should make things easier. I say see how it goes after they move it, and if you're still not coping well then move out.
    But remember, at home it's free innit! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I sympathise with you WHW... and it's nice to notice you TSR again!! (I don't know if I've just missed your posts or what). :cool:

I can't choose where I live yet but I know how annoying a crowded home can be. We often have relations come to live at our house for months at a time and I experience exactly what you mention. :mad:

It'll pass though, especially if you move out into rented accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frank_drebin)
    Monseiur Wizard, so good to hear from you again! How have you been?

Regarding the situation, like you said, your brother and his GF are gonna move out soon so that should make things easier. I say see how it goes after they move it, and if you're still not coping well then move out.
    But remember, at home it's free innit! :cool:
    God damn, the GF has just had the cheek of telling me that there's a very good Jamie Oliver cookbook for beginners, and she then followed up by saying that it can be quite "intimidating" for people to start making food. Cheek of it tbfh. I'm a good cook ffs and she's telling me this! She said it in a straight way but tbh, she's probably trying to wind me up, on behalf of my older brother, who seems to think all I ever eat is pizza and scrambled egg on waffles.

GTFO of my house!

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see you around Frank, how's things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Yeah I sympathise with you WHW... and it's nice to notice you TSR again!! (I don't know if I've just missed your posts or what). :cool:

I can't choose where I live yet but I know how annoying a crowded home can be. We often have relations come to live at our house for months at a time and I experience exactly what you mention. :mad:

It'll pass though, especially if you move out into rented accommodation.
    I'm not familiar with you, have you changed your username? It can feel rather claustrophobic tbh. It's also the fact that there's quite a few strong personalities in the mix. Makes for interesting times :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I had a 90 minute workout early this afternoon. For dinner, I made myself a pasta, throwing in some nice sauce, grated cheese and egg, rofl & some pepper to give it a kick.

I wanted and needed carbs after a workout, and I always have carbs after a significant workout.

Not exactly the most sophisticated meal to make but it was what I needed and wanted :cool:

Food snobbery tbh.

They can suck **** when I make something soon that owns what they make.

:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see you around Frank, how's things?
    Not too bad buddy. Got some resits coming up so need to get those out of the way if I want to make it to third year I wish I could gather the motivation to do some exercise like you, I'm not quite aiming at 90 mins though :p:

tbh that Oliver lad's probably got a few good recipes so check 'em out if you get some time, I'm sure she was just trying to be helpful Either that, or they're playing very clever mind games with you :eek: Either that, or I'm just an idiot :cool:

I suggest you cook your Nigella ******* Lawson ass off to prepare an exquisitely delicious dinner for the entire family. That will show your bro and his GF who wears the aprons in the family :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frank_drebin)
    Not too bad buddy. Got some resits coming up so need to get those out of the way if I want to make it to third year I wish I could gather the motivation to do some exercise like you, I'm not quite aiming at 90 mins though :p:

tbh that Oliver lad's probably got a few good recipes so check 'em out if you get some time, I'm sure she was just trying to be helpful Either that, or they're playing very clever mind games with you :eek: Either that, or I'm just an idiot :cool:

I suggest you cook your Nigella ******* Lawson ass off to prepare an exquisitely delicious dinner for the entire family. That will show your bro and his GF who wears the aprons in the family :cool:
    What course are you on?

I wish I had the same motivation I have for exercise for starting an uttererly geh 5000 word research proposal.

ReputationRep:
    There's 13 people living in my house atm so fu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    stay out all day
    I'll be out of the house and out of the way, quite a bit, over the next fortnight, visiting friends who live locally and a bit more further adrift - four full days away anyway :cool: There's just too much sarcasm and dry-wit flying around at times and it get tedious tbh. When you're living with food snobs etc, it gets irritating really. Just try and find things to criticise etc...

nah, no-one can compete with WHW re: mind games. ****ing no-one.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadinus)
    There's 13 people living in my house atm so fu.
    Man up.

ReputationRep:
    Man up.
    Idk, you're the one making a thread about these things.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using TSR as an emotional release. It's therapy.

ReputationRep:
    Man up.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.