Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What exercises instead of DB/BB decline presses can you do that target the same area?

ReputationRep:
    Dips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Dips.
    This, but do them with a wider grip than normal, and try and go deep.

ReputationRep:
    Why a wider grip exppex?
    If your looking into dips for your chest then lean forwards when you do them, if your aiming to hit your tri's then keep your body upright ,, hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Dips and cable crossovers my man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpotts88)
    Why a wider grip exppex?
    If your looking into dips for your chest then lean forwards when you do them, if your aiming to hit your tri's then keep your body upright ,, hope this helps.
    If you take a shorter grip, it places more emphasis on the triceps, such as in close grip bench press as opposed to a normal grip on the bench. Same principle applies here.

ReputationRep:
    You realise there's very very little difference between what gets used in a decline press and a flat one? You won't hit your "lower chest" really well or something. Why does every single average joe who isn't a pro-BBer worry about targetting all areas, I dont know

ReputationRep:
    Nout wrong with a bit of variation though

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. But there's hardly any variation in it. If I was getting sick of benching for instance, last thing I'd do for "variation" is go for decline. It's virtually the same. I'd switch to DBs, BB incline, DB incline, floor presses, there's all sorts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Dips and cable crossovers my man

ReputationRep:
    There really isn't an upper or lower chest muscle- its all one pectoralis major. But of course you should still go for variation to stimulate your muscles in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    oh shush :p: they are a substitute (though there are much better ones out there), and tbh at the end of a chest sesh weighted cable crossovers work for me. Though no one else will admit as much, lest they too get ruined by Powerlifter :puppyeyes:

Alas, I'll get my coat if you so wish :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    oh shush they are a substitute (though there are much better ones out there), and tbh at the end of a chest sesh weighted cable crossovers work for me. Though no one else will admit as much, lest they too get ruined by Powerlifter

Alas, I'll get my coat if you so wish
    No crossover movement is a substitue for pressing.

If you are not a pro bb on tons of gear and can manage cable crossovers at the end of a 'chest sesh' as you put it you are not pressing hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    No crossover movement is a substitue for pressing.

If you are not a pro bb on tons of gear and can manage cable crossovers at the end of a 'chest sesh' as you put it you are not pressing hard enough.

I guess the first point is fair, though the second is just a cliche.

Don't confuse me for someone stupid enough to argue with you mind - you're obviously a lot more experienced than me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.