Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting a First Diploma in applied science next month, i'm abit apprehensive about it, i was wondering which unis accept it?

ReputationRep:
    Do any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nambat)
    I'll be starting a First Diploma in applied science next month, i'm abit apprehensive about it, i was wondering which unis accept it?
    Erm, I don't think Uni's would accept a first diploma since it's at GCSE level.

Most accept national diplomas though

If you're thinking of studying Medicine (or anything Science based), I would avoid the BTEC First Certificate in Applied Science and take GCSE Core + Additional Science route (then on to A Level Science).

If you're thinking of studying Sciences at A Level, and haven't taken GCSE Core Science (and/or Additional), you'll find the work a lot hard.

The BTEC First Certificate in Applied Science is 100% Coursework based, and is not very challenging. Going on to A Level Science after it will be such a change, that many won't simply be able to cope.

I would avoid it if you possibly can.

ReputationRep:
    So is it something that is mainly made up of practicles and i could just self-teach the rest?

So is it something that is mainly made up of practicles and i could just self-teach the rest?
    If I'm perfectly honest, you could complete the 'course' without even having done the practicals. As most them are relatively simple (Rate of Reaction of Marble Chips and Hydrochloric Acid) etc.

If you prefer the more academic approach; reading books, conducting proper research etc, I would opt for more the GCSEs. If you end up doing the BTEC, you'll find yourself getting incredibly bored. I tutored someone who happened to do it, and I was amazed it was actually being taught. But I guess it's ideal as a more vocational course, than an academic.

ReputationRep:
    none

no, seriously, maybe essex, apu (now aru) and any others below 100 in the league tables

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.