Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    just curious, doing accounting course btw
    because im thinking of buying a 17" lap, only used in room and going home etc.

any ideas?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Some do, though they used it to play FM and watch the Australian Open as much as they do work...

Laptops are very useful at Uni tho, nearly everyone has one

ReputationRep:
    nah not really - slides are all on the intranet straight after lectures.

oh hi!

im starting accountancy and finance year 1 this coming september.
    Hope to see u around

on topic: 17inch is gonna weigh a tonne, not to mention bring it around.
    Hell, i even find my 14.1inch lappy heavy when i bring it around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siukingyiu)
    oh hi!

im starting accountancy and finance year 1 this coming september.
    Hope to see u around

on topic: 17inch is gonna weigh a tonne, not to mention bring it around.
    Hell, i even find my 14.1inch lappy heavy when i bring it around.
    second that. I feel that my 12" laptop is heavy though it's 1.8kg. Can't imagine myself carrying something that's 3+kg around everyday

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others, a 17inch is definitely too heavy to take with you to lectures. I know someone who did that twice or three times and then never again.

It's useful as you can type straight into your laptop, slides as somebody else said never really have the same depth as is conveyed in the lecture. So, I've come across lecturers and students who hated having laptops in the classroom.

ReputationRep:
    gonna use pen and paper then and keep the 17" in the room

(Original post by chauhan7)
    gonna use pen and paper then and keep the 17" in the room
    Thats what i plan to do as well :o:

ReputationRep:
    NO! They are so distracting to people behind you. And the tapping is verrrry annoying lol.

ReputationRep:
    in my law class i would say about 10 students out of 20 used a laptop

ReputationRep:
    It's really useful to have a laptop at uni 'cos its near impossible to get a computer to work in at the library etc. and with the wireless you can literally work anywhere. But having said that taking a full size one is no fun. The best option is to take one of those little netbooks - I got one this year and I think it's going to be really useful.

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: no.

Applies to least in social sciences. I don't know about other fields.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123hubertroad)
    It's really useful to have a laptop at uni 'cos its near impossible to get a computer to work in at the library etc. and with the wireless you can literally work anywhere. But having said that taking a full size one is no fun. The best option is to take one of those little netbooks - I got one this year and I think it's going to be really useful.
    If you go to the other clusters you'll nearly always find a computer at uni within a 3 minutes walking distance from the main library.

ReputationRep:
    Generally if anyone uses a laptop in our lectures, we take the piss out of them.

Utterly no need.

ReputationRep:
    I would have my laptop with me at all times anyway, but I think a notebook is all you really need for personal thoughts. Other than that, every course I know of make the notes available after the lecture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.