Turn on thread page Beta

kids/teens look so much different nowadays! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 younger step sisters (11 and 13) and sometimes they look more like 16 and 18 in the pictures they take on their phones lol. Really posey and loads of make-up and most of the time quite fashionable clothing. I thought it was just them but all their mates have pictures like that all over facebook (imo they are too young for facebook lol).

To me this is so different to when I was their age. Not to mention I was such an ugly duckling right up until I was about 15/16. I look back on some of my old pictures and I just cringe. This was mainly due to lack of fashion sense or any know how in the make-up department. But it didn't really seem to be the norm to be really into all that stuff.

So I was wondering what you guys think? Do you think kids act/look a lot older nowadays?

ReputationRep:
    Blame Miley Cyrus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    Blame Miley Cyrus.
    ^^ damn straight!

ReputationRep:
    disney channel. it ruins 'em.

ReputationRep:
    miley cyrus = :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this, I was horrible looking 'til I sorted it out in about year 9, but I'm seeing year 8s and 7s at my school who come in all perfect hair and makeup on and its like :lulwut:

The divide between young teens and old teens is getting really blurred and weird. Can't say I like it!

ReputationRep:
    and yes they have changed, its society

ReputationRep:
    Times have changed I guess. They always do. I'm sure our generation looked a lot different to previous youth generations too.

ReputationRep:
    It's a clever mirage created by your mind so you don't feel so guilty when you take advantage.

ReputationRep:
    miley cyrus :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    Blame Miley Cyrus.
    Have to remember to rep you!

ReputationRep:
    it wasnt jsut us kids though, im pretty sure when we were 11, the 16-18 year olds were equally unfashionble. like i remember trackies were the fashion rather than just the chav wear and things which came in fashion were like waterpoor sports jackets! i remember almost everyone wearing them. and even the older teen wores backpacks rather than bloody handbags to school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    I've noticed this, I was horrible looking 'til I sorted it out in about year 9, but I'm seeing year 8s and 7s at my school who come in all perfect hair and makeup on and its like :lulwut:

The divide between young teens and old teens is getting really blurred and weird. Can't say I like it!
    Yeah I know what you mean about the year 7s and 8s, my step sister is exactly like that! I really couldn't be bothered - but I think that's because I didn't have a clue lol.

I think Primark has a play in it all too - when I was their age there wasn't a primark (in Leeds anyway), so there was no way I could go out an buy a full outfit with my pocket money.

But yea I guess times change, but I feel like a granny because I don't like it - I think the longer kids don't worry about their appearance, the better.

ReputationRep:
    Little girls don't look like little girls anymore.

How it pains me. And those that are addicted to tanning beds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fearny1989)
    So I was wondering what you guys think? Do you think kids act/look a lot older nowadays?
    I think yes, there's too much marketing towards children nowadays, they're exposed to sex all the time - music videos, lyrics, TV shows, all that; I kinda feel that most of today's kids in 10 years' time won't have a childhood too look back on - at least not in the same sense that I had, growing up in the early 1990s (I'm a 1986 kid). :yep:

They're growing up really quickly, at least in some areas of life (hope you know what I mean lol); I remember myself not being interested in sex until about - I don't know, 15? 16? Whereas right now you've got kids as young as 13 or less not being virgins anymore, and that's not because of rape, mind you.

Same with all the make-up/binge drinking/flashy clothes sort of stuff, they're being spoon-fed some adult rubbish from the very early age, and bizarrely quickly lose any kind of innocence whatsoever. :shock:

ReputationRep:
    There are some very well dressed teenagers now- any crowd at a music event is invariably better dressed than the singer/band.

But most still don't have great taste in music at all in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think its kinda sad.. kids should be kids and not have to worry about that kinda thing. Blame tv!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hialiya)
    ^^ damn straight!
    agreed ..evil disney! lol:p:
    The clothes they have for 11 year olds is quite fashionable at the mo ..more than it was say 7/8 years ago. But I guess this is the time when they start getting into fashion. I remember when we were 11 the clothes weren't that nice bar a few .....( has horrible flahbacks of 2001 fashion jeans and trainers with everything,or just trainers with every outfit)

ReputationRep:
    What's more likely is that people who are 6 years older than you thought this about your generation 6 years ago. You'll only notice the heavily made-up girls now, and only remember your situation then.

ReputationRep:
    I miss the fact that not being tanned wasn't a big deal, pale was the norm. Girls just entering their teens are going to feel like they should be tanned if they're fairly impressionable and that's just sad

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.