Turn on thread page Beta

kids/teens look so much different nowadays! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    Blame Miley Cyrus.
    we could all just blame Miley Cyrus.........we can all just blame her and blame this....or we could do something constructive & productive!

:rolleyes:

AND WE CAN KILL HER!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I agree!. These days young girls are wearing make up, in to straightening their hair etc. When I was little we never did any of that, we were just kids enjoying our childhood. I remember that even as far as year 2 in secondary school ( would be year 8 now) we were not allowed to wear even so much as eyeliner!. Now I see girls that age going to school plastered in make up.I"m kind of glad that I have boys, they arent worried about their hair or anything....although thats bound to change as they get older.

Oh and something else I remember was that none of appeared to be so interested in being a size 0 or whatever. In fact we all just accepted each other for the size we were. I still have the same figure ( more or less) that I did as a kid/teenager. Ok it may have existed but no where near the like it is today. Very skinny girls were very few and far between. Whereas today I see loads of skinny, really skinny, girls.

Kids seem to want to grow up far too quickly these days which I find very sad, you"re not a child long enough in my mind. Theres plenty of time to be an adult when you are one , thats if you want to , :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean when I was 15 16 I was wearing trackies, sports clothing and Gill, Henri Lloyd or Musto harbour jackets. Now I wear retro sports clothing mostly

ReputationRep:
    my sister's 11 and she looks about 13 but she doesn't wear makeup..yet. I was a little chubby kid up until about yr 9 I only probably started wearing makeup when I was 14 or 15 :p: I just think the generations are growing up a lot quicker and me being the oldest, probably didn't wear makeup or bother dressing up all nice for the simple fact that I had no older sibling to look up to and I also didn't feel the need to anyway. Also, although i'm not speaking for everyone, a lot of 13/14 yr olds I know are quite immature still. I know I wasn't but my parents have always said they think they treated me as if I was older. I guess everyone just wants to look older than they actually are, until they reach a certain age :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fearny1989)
    I think the longer kids don't worry about their appearance, the better.
    I agree with you there!

I think they're just trying to act and look older to be cool or whatever, but it does seem like they're growing up far too fast :o:

ReputationRep:
    I think its because when I/we were like 13/14 (maybe this is just because im from a small town!) there wasn't really anything to look at or inspire yourself with. Like how there's lookbook and myspace and fashion blogs and all these places you can get advice on hair and makeup and stuff...but when I was like 13 (God im old) all there was on the internet was MSN and you had to look around at the people around you more for fashion and stuff...and small town fashion is never good...

Plus better cheap fashion like primark and hair straighteners.

was a prog on tv otherday, 13 and 18 year old wanted a boob job. Decided against it at the very end, thank ****. Looked like the 13 year old hasnt even hit puberty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam656)
    was a prog on tv otherday, 13 and 18 year old wanted a boob job. Decided against it at the very end, thank ****. Looked like the 13 year old hasnt even hit puberty.
    I saw that she must have had deeper issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bailey's blizzard)
    I think its kinda sad.. kids should be kids and not have to worry about that kinda thing. Blame tv!
    Not just kids, everyone should.
    I have a terrible fashion sense and I feel like I would fit a lot better in the 80's/90's.

ReputationRep:
    Kids aren't acting kids anymore, it's a shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hialiya)
    ^^ damn straight!
    I like your lingo :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I was still playing with Barbies when I was 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I was still playing with Barbies when I was 11.
    I was too :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I see where your comming from! times change and so do generations! I didn't bother with my self then, but I look at my teenage brother and oh my does he make an effort!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's to do with the fact (where I live especially) that we now have more shops and you can get cheap clothes. Until a few years ago, the only shops we had were a little River Island and Dorothy Perkins and what must have been the country's smallest Topshop. The rest of the space was taken up by M&S, Waitrose, WHSmith, Tchibo, Costa, Starbucks and the like. Then an extention to the shopping area got built and we now have TKMaxx, H&M, New Look, a much bigger River Island and Topshop and Dorothy Perkins, Clarks, La Senza, Oasis etc. They also started making more clothes in smaller sizes - until I was 14/15 I had no choice but to wear children's clothes because a size 8 was too big and looked ridiculous :p:

(Original post by GR29KHS)
    I miss the fact that not being tanned wasn't a big deal, pale was the norm. Girls just entering their teens are going to feel like they should be tanned if they're fairly impressionable and that's just sad
    pale girls are :coma: :daydreaming:

ive noticed this too. i was round at a friends the other day and his 13 y/o sister came in and she looked like a ****** with the awful make up she had on and was going out wearing high heels, mini skirt and a vest top to go to 'the park'. shes a notorious whore though

ReputationRep:
    Kids? What about 20-somethings? It's as if it suddenly became fashionable to sport a bad fake tan and leggings
    (Hmm, maybe I'm showing my age a bit here, just ignore me :yes: )

ReputationRep:
    They're also absolute little ***** nowadays. They answer back so much! When I was younger I'd go red and reallly scared when I did something wrong and got told off and I'd never do it again! But not now!

ReputationRep:
    As long as they look nice though and tasteful. It's like beauty contests in america, the little girls have full hair and makeup done it's creepy! Some of them do look ridiculous. I remember when I was in middle school, the school 'whore' had a massive stomach and came into school on non uniform days wearing crop tops and mini skirts, she was a short chubby thing, poor her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    They also started making more clothes in smaller sizes - until I was 14/15 I had no choice but to wear children's clothes because a size 8 was too big and looked ridiculous :p:
    This!
    I remember having to wear either the kiddies clothes that was a bit on the small size or "adult" sizes :P: which were too big for me
    So yeah...I looked very unfasionable as a young teenager :rolleyes:

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.