Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think my mum is lazy, or am I expecting too much? Watch

Please keep anon because people I know use TSR and I don't want everyone to know my family are having financial issues
    I'm 15, and my parents, who both have science and language university degrees, had been unable to find work for a while. My dad has just got a new job paying £18,000 a year which isn't a lot considering there are 5 os uf in the family inc. my mum dad, brother, sister and I. However my mum has refused to try looking for a job. She claims the fact that she isn't English is holding her back, however this is not true. She was told that if she took a basic English proficiency course (which is supposed to be easier than getting a C in GCSE English and took a GCSE in Maths and get a C, she would be able to search for a teaching post (on a minimum £23000 a year). However she has point blank refused. I told her I'd help if she wanted, but she said she went to school years ago and that she wouldn't be able to do it, and besides, the man should bring all the money into the house. I can't help but feel she is being selfish, as I work really hard at school in subjects I can't do very well, and my dad is doing everything. I've told her I will help more with house chores, but she won't listen. Am I just expecting too much?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she wants to look after you at home? :dontknow: How old are your sister and brother?

Also, it can take a lot of guts for a fully grown adult in their 30s/40s/50s to take a qualification that's designed for people your age. Maybe she doesn't want to lose her pride?

ReputationRep:
    What would Harriet Harman say?

ReputationRep:
    Probs get more money being on benefits anyway.

ReputationRep:
    She probably has her own motives. She probably wants to take it easy and sit back.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right to expect that she do a little bit more, because £18k for a family of 5, although is possible to live off, is perhaps a bit tight and she could at least get a part time job if she doesn't want to go and do teaching.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    She was told that if she took a basic English proficiency course (which is supposed to be easier than getting a C in GCSE English and took a GCSE in Maths and get a C, she would be able to search for a teaching post (on a minimum £23000 a year).
    Errr... does she have QTS?

Yes, she's lazy, but you knew that already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon because people I know use TSR and I don't want everyone to know my family are having financial issues
    I'm 15, and my parents, who both have science and language university degrees, had been unable to find work for a while. My dad has just got a new job paying £18,000 a year which isn't a lot considering there are 5 os uf in the family inc. my mum dad, brother, sister and I. However my mum has refused to try looking for a job. She claims the fact that she isn't English is holding her back, however this is not true. She was told that if she took a basic English proficiency course (which is supposed to be easier than getting a C in GCSE English and took a GCSE in Maths and get a C, she would be able to search for a teaching post (on a minimum £23000 a year). However she has point blank refused. I told her I'd help if she wanted, but she said she went to school years ago and that she wouldn't be able to do it, and besides, the man should bring all the money into the house. I can't help but feel she is being selfish, as I work really hard at school in subjects I can't do very well, and my dad is doing everything. I've told her I will help more with house chores, but she won't listen. Am I just expecting too much?
    woman like this make me sick

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it is lazy to not want to support your family, she could do some other form of work that didn't involve qualifications specifically. The decision is hers ultimately but I doubt you will be entitled to much benefits considering your dad's job is over the threshold the government considers really low, I think it's around the £15k mark (had loads of information recently as I am pregnant , so it may be different in your case).

ReputationRep:
    i very recently lost my mom... i think you should be more appreciative of yours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hula129)
    i very recently lost my mom... i think you should be more appreciative of yours
    Unfortunatly you only realize this when they are gone.. but as sad as it is, yes I agree.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.