Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bird with a broken wing Watch

ReputationRep:
    There's currently a greenfinch with a broken wing in my garden (thanks to my bloody cat). I'm really not sure what to do. The idea of killing it has been mentioned but i'd rather try and avoid it; it's not like it's half dead, apart from the wing it's got a lot of fight in it. The thing is it's only a tiny bird so I don't think many people would be interested in saving it. I have no idea how i'd begin to nurse it myself or if that would be cruel to the bird. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    just take it to the vet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    just take it to the vet
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    stamp on it or take it to the vet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    stamp on it or take it to the vet

ReputationRep:
    I can't really afford to take it to a vet (even more so outside of practicing hours). Would the RSPCA take any notice or just end up killing it? I get the impression they're not really fussed abotu garden birds.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if you go near it and pick it up.. it will probably die of fright.. but just try and rescue it, get some grass in a cardboard box and put it in there, but put air holes in it.

ReputationRep:

Sad. Dunk it in a bucket of water to end its pain.

ReputationRep:
    New potatoes, carrots, nice glass of wine.

ReputationRep:
    Animal shelter? :confused:

Not sure, though, but in my country you could always get a bird to a place like this and they'd take care of it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would personally bonk it on the head with a spade to put it out of its misery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychokiller)
    There's currently a greenfinch with a broken wing in my garden (thanks to my bloody cat). I'm really not sure what to do. The idea of killing it has been mentioned but i'd rather try and avoid it; it's not like it's half dead, apart from the wing it's got a lot of fight in it. The thing is it's only a tiny bird so I don't think many people would be interested in saving it. I have no idea how i'd begin to nurse it myself or if that would be cruel to the bird. Any ideas?
    It's most likely going to die unless it can find some food for itself. maybe try to construct a little splint for it? we had one like that a few weeks ago, and it died a few days later in the garden, nothing we could do.

I very much doubt the RSPCA or a vet will do much.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Wow. i just remembered this happened to me and one of my friends a long time ago. We put it in a cage and bought bird-seed for it - i distinctly remember my granddad being surprised that it was still alive after a week. We would hurry to my home from school every day to see to it - it sounds so cliché, but it was really exciting for us, we were only eleven.

Then the bird died. That wasn't so fun.

ReputationRep:
    It is very unlikely that the wing would heal well enough for it to fly again, and if it won't heal then who would take care of the bird? Put it out of its misery.

ReputationRep:
    i have a greeat diea... fit it with a bird size jet-pack.... then it doesnt hve to worry about its wings and also it could getaway from predators.. :P

ReputationRep:
    Please don't kill the bird, it could have the soul of a human fluttering within its feathered form - from a previous life. This bird could be your ancestor. Shelter it and call the RSPCA.

ReputationRep:
    Your nickname suggest one and the only way to solve the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies but it's disappeared now. Can't have got far but still it's nowhere to be seen. Poor thing. Things like these make me think about never having a cat again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.