Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When did you decide [for a subject / career]? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...what career you want and what you want to study at uni. I had a pretty good vision for myself and now im having doubts. My A level options are pretty much varied and open to many courses but what if at the last point in my uni application i actually realize i don't want to study what i wanted.

A levels are: Maths, Chemistry, English Lit, History and Russian.

I want to study psychology but sometimes i have doubts.

When did you decide 100% what course you want to study at uni and did that affect your a level options?

ReputationRep:
    i still haven't, and im not even sure i want to go to university. thats one of the major factors that made me decide to take a foundation year before getting on with a degree.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'm too fickle to take myself seriously when I think about what career I would like.

ReputationRep:
    I decided after I picked my A-levels. I figured I'd do something I always wanted to do, so I chose Archaeology.

ReputationRep:
    I decided what course and uni i wanted to do beginning of Y11
    THIS helped me pick my a-level subjects
    subjects i could use for my chosen course and a related one

I chose biochemical engineeering at UCL
    the related general area i would go into if i don't get UCl is chemical engineering

ReputationRep:
    Not until I realised you could actually do my course at university, aged 19 with no A-Levels so had to do a foundation year this year!

ReputationRep:
    Thought I wanted to do physics. Chose Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Fuhrer Maths.
    In typical fashion I only managed to get my physics application in 2 days before the oxbridge/medicine/vet/law deadline. Left it a day, changed my mind, rang the UCAS teacher at school at some absurd hour of the night, wrote a new PS and submitted my application for medicine the next day.

MEDICS IT IS NEVER TOO LATE (except when it literally is too late... :shh:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parfait-ego)
    ...what career you want and what you want to study at uni. I had a pretty good vision for myself and now im having doubts. My A level options are pretty much varied and open to many courses but what if at the last point in my uni application i actually realize i don't want to study what i wanted.

A levels are: Maths, Chemistry, English Lit, History and Russian.

I want to study psychology but sometimes i have doubts.

When did you decide 100% what course you want to study at uni and did that affect your a level options?
    I wish my college offered Russian, I would have done great in it
    I always wanted to do Chemistry, until the end of my AS levels, when I decided that I prefer Medicine :o:

ReputationRep:
    I just took what I liked best (animals) and looked into different ways of working with them. That was years ago, when I was tiny, that I new I definately wanted to work with them.
    Now I'm older I've done way more research into seeing which careers I was more passionate about etc...

my opinion is that. To just take what you're most interested in and look into different ways of working with it, and then choose and go for it!

ReputationRep:
    i realised i was too dumb to do the course i really wanted to do..so decided on a course at the very last minute..i think i'l enjoy it but i'm not crazy about it..!as for career paths..i have no idea..!

ReputationRep:
    i had my career path figured out when i was about 12 lol

ReputationRep:
    My teachers inspired me this year. I knew I wanted to do something drama related and loved English Lit, just didn't put the two together until I met my drama teacher who teaches both

I think its different for everyone, open days with taster sessions are helpful for a lot of people who are unsure

ReputationRep:
    My career path still isn't 100% decided, and I'm going into Masters.

With biology there are SO many fields, and a lot of these are only briefly covered at degree level, and not covered at all in A level. Some that sound really interesting have progressed to the point where people spend their entire lives researching a single receptor (i.e. fun to study at uni, but hella boring as a career). Others sound really boring on paper but end up being really interesting as a job. So I've only been able to make an educated guess about what I want to do during the degree.

I've chosen a Masters in what I found most interesting in my degree, but still I know relatively little about the specifics. All I know is the subjects that are covered and roughly what the job would involve, so it all depends on how the Masters goes as to what specific job I will apply for. Having said that, for NHS jobs I'll have to apply by February, and PhDs probably even earlier, so that's only not long to judge the Masters by.

EDIT: Sorry for the essay, didn't mean for it to be that wordy, but oh well.

ReputationRep:
    I decided after the first year of my a levels

ReputationRep:
    I decided what I wanted to do as a career the year I started Secondary School in 2002. I wanted to be a History / English teacher. When I got my GCSE results 5 years later, my History result wasn't the best so I made a decision to just become a English teacher.

Now im 2009 with my A2 results coming out in a matter of weeks i've decided that maybe University isn't the place for me so if the results are not great i'll carry on becoming a teacher but in a different environment. The Swimming Pool. Im currently a Swimming and Diving teacher. So whatever happens im still a teacher!

So I may have decided 7 years ago, but you can never really say when you decided what you wanted to do until you can look back and say that is when I really made my decision.

ReputationRep:
    I decided i wanted to be a teacher back in year 8... although ever since i was about 14 ive been undecided about whether to study maths or languages, but finally chose to do maths at the beginning of 6th form

ReputationRep:
    About half-way through year 10.

I did some work experience at a law firm and really liked it.

Since then, I've never really even considered doing anything else!

ReputationRep:
    I decided what to study at uni a year after I received my A level results, but I changed my mind a lot before sending my application off, and changed my mind again (from joint to single degree) after I got my offers.

I still don't know what to do as a career, I have a few ideas but am open to anything right now. I don't have to decide right now and I know I'll only change my mind throughout uni and when I've done work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yr 12 when I realised that medicine wasn't really good for me

ReputationRep:
    I decided what I wanted to do when we had to start filling out UCAS forms.

I choose psychology, as it was the only AS level that I had enjoyed, and I also have doubts. I guess I'm soon going to find out whether I have reason to worry.

However, I have no idea what career route I'm going to take after uni. If I like my course then I'm hoping to go onto do clinical psychology but if that fails I'm clueless about what I'm going to do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.