Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When did you decide [for a subject / career]? Watch

ReputationRep:
    About half-way through yr12 when i realised that economics was the subject i found easiest.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Three or four years ago I had decided on economics, but in the last two years I started to question that and considered politics, law, mathematics, statistics, and even medicine at one point! By the time I had to start my personal statement, however, I had settled once again on economics (as even though I love it for itself, it is certainly a compromise between the other subjects I considered) and the rest's history.

As for a career, the intermediate changes from time to time, but in the long-run I've been set on going into politics for about five years now.

ReputationRep:
    wanted to do veterinary all my life, since being about three....
    last couple of years have had doubts, went to medlink and literally fell in love with medicine. Now, i'm cramming in all my work experience to make sure etc... but wish so so much i'd realised before!

ReputationRep:
    I decided after I came back into full-time education, after working for a year. I decided against becoming a pilot and instead decided to go for my other dream of becoming a teacher I love French and Maths.

Education is one of the best things that have happened to me. Don't end it early.

ReputationRep:
    I'd always wanted to do Law and loved French, so intended to apply for Law with French Law to be a solicitor. About halfway through my AS Levels I realised I wanted to do a language degree instead. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do for a career yet, but I'm thinking diplomat for the Foreign Office. Plenty of time to decide though

ReputationRep:
    Since about year 8 i wanted to study fashion design becasue i started to make my own clothes, I am naturally good at making things so I took Art, Product Design, Maths and physics for A level, And will be studying fashion design at uni this september

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to be an architect ever since I was tiny and playing with my lego (what a cliche), but longer I spend at the uni, the less sure I am whether I'll do the whole slog.

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to be so many different things, but a solicitor or barrister was one that stuck from about the age of 13 and it seemed like a good fit. However I screwed up my A Levels enough that it would be impossible to get on a course for a well respected LLB so I picked between sociology and languages and ended up choosing the wrong one first time around (anybody reading this who has done sciency A Levels, do NOT do sociology), so am going to go for languages this year either with an aim to do the GDL or equivalent qualification abroad orrrr work for the Foreign Office, or the EU/UN, or maybe the Armed Forces...something that matters.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don’t.

I havent a clue, im gradually cumulating a list of things I couldnt see myself doing for the next 45 years and going from there

ReputationRep:
    I knew all my life that I wanted to work with animals, but only decide after taking A Levels that I wanted to do animal behaviour.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Decided on Music in Year 11. It wasn't so much a decision though, more the recognition of something I had known somewhere deep down all along

Career-wise, I only decided about halfway through this year what I want to do and even then I sometimes wonder about other careers :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I first wanted to do forensics but im terrified of blood I faint if I see it so then I decided to do marketing for 2010 because it was second on my list. I decided last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parfait-ego)
    ...what career you want and what you want to study at uni. I had a pretty good vision for myself and now im having doubts. My A level options are pretty much varied and open to many courses but what if at the last point in my uni application i actually realize i don't want to study what i wanted.

A levels are: Maths, Chemistry, English Lit, History and Russian.

I want to study psychology but sometimes i have doubts.

When did you decide 100% what course you want to study at uni and did that affect your a level options?
    i knew that i wanted to study economics at university when i was 15

i knew i wanted to be an accountant (yawn all you want i enjoy accounting and figure work :p:) when i was 13

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs
    I want to be a forensic scientist!
    AS Levels (Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Computing)
    That area has WAY too many graduates, maybe forensic computing?
    A Levels Maths (Maths, F.Maths, Biology, Computing)
    No, that's a silly idea. I'll just go for a straight computing degree.
    Uni Offers (MEng Comp Sci - York, Comp Sci + Music Tech, Comp Sci + Neuroscience, Music Tech + Neuroscience - Keele, Forensic Comp - UCLan)
    I don't want to work with computers! Brains and music are where it's at.
    First Year of Degree (BSc Music Technology and Neuroscience)
    My-my, this is exciting. No idea what I want to do yet.
    Second Year
    Alzheimer's research project? That could start me off towards a career!
    Third Year
    Alzheimer's research is not for me. Maybe something in sensory neuroscience, that's the most interesting bit.
    PhD in Vision Sciences (sept 2009)
    The FUTUUURE! (i.e. **** knows)

Not mentioned: Medicine, Police, Clinical Neuroscience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parfait-ego)
    ...what career you want and what you want to study at uni. I had a pretty good vision for myself and now im having doubts. My A level options are pretty much varied and open to many courses but what if at the last point in my uni application i actually realize i don't want to study what i wanted.

A levels are: Maths, Chemistry, English Lit, History and Russian.

I want to study psychology but sometimes i have doubts.

When did you decide 100% what course you want to study at uni and did that affect your a level options?
    I decided what course I wanted to study at uni about a week before I had to apply. Leaving me very little time to create a good PS (or whatever it was).

I graduated this year and still am not 100% sure I kno what I want to do. However I do know the kind of field I would like to work in and fortunately over the past 3 and half years, this hasn't changed. Only my career ideas within this field have

At A level I took what I (thought I) was good at and made sure it was fairly well varied.

Don't worry about doubting yourself, it's never too late to change your mind x

ReputationRep:
    i didnt decide what career i wanted until 2 years AFTER i took my A Levels!
    turning point was last year after having a massive falling out with a couple of friends i decided i didnt want to stay in a dead end job in the small crappy town i live in.
    got reasearching knowing i always wanted to work for the NHS. came accross speech and language therapists and something just clicked. i knew i wanted to do it. waited a year so i knew i really did want to do it and am going to start studing in sept. hope i made the right choice!!

ReputationRep:
    I thought I should do medicine because I was clever and that's what clever people did. So I chose my A-levels accordingly. But I also did A-level English because I loved English.

By March this year I realised that I really didn't want to do Medicine and applying to do something just because was a bit stupid. So I withdrew my application and applied for English though Extra.

No idea what I want to do with it.. I have 3 years to work that out.

ReputationRep:
    Decided to do computers a week before my UCAS form had to be in. Didn't decide on a career to aim for until 4 years later.

ReputationRep:
    I was 22/23 when I realised that I wanted to become an Operating Department Practitioner. Did a degree in History straight after school, because I enjoyed History at school, but had no idea what I wanted as a career. Joined St John Ambulance at uni, then afterwards I worked as a care assistant for a while, realised I really wanted a career in healthcare, got some more relevant work experience and applied for the ODP course.

ReputationRep:
    I realised I wanted to study languages from the first time I started learning them when I was 12 and decided I wanted to be a teacher after doing work experience at 14 in a primary school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.