Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd appreciate it if anyone could respond to these questions:

*What is the Maths Course like in general?
    *What about Pure/Applie/Statistics?
    *How are the lectures?
    *Do you feel that everything is explained well, but not that you're being spoonfed?
    *Do you have any small group work, and if so how often, for how long who with and what are they like?
    *How are the lecturers?

More generally,
    *What is is like at UCL?
    *How do you find the people/other students in general?
    *What's it like living in London - costs, travelling (I specifically heard that London was quite a lonely place to study in - you can be so far away from mates, as they are all over the city?)

*Any other comments?

ReputationRep:
    i wna know too lol :P im thinking of applying for a maths degree there as well.

ReputationRep:
    And yet, no one replies to tell us this vital information

ReputationRep:
    hehe lol :P

ReputationRep:
    post it again on a new thread... coz i wanna know badly! lol

btw what other unis are u applying to?

ReputationRep:
    i'll reply to this later tonight, i've got to get ready for work, but a quick answer would be

UCL is sick!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm trying to work out my choices for next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaches6994)
    post it again on a new thread... coz i wanna know badly! lol

btw what other unis are u applying to?
    In order...
    1. Oxford 2. Warwick 3. Imperial or UCL 4. Durham 5. Bath or Bristol

You?

ReputationRep:

it's pretty challenging, makes you work hard, but i an honestly say that after my first year of maths, i actually feel alot smarter, and think of thinkgs in a more logical way

i don't really know, i had 8 modules, 2 were applied maths, which was mostly mechanics stuff.

*How are the lectures?

the quality of the lectures are actually good, some lecturers are better than others. they are all knowledgable in their fields, most give high quality notes, but 1 guy was really ****. they're very welcoming to questions but alot of the stuff the lecturers teach is online, so to some extent, you don't need to attend some of the lectures at all.

*Do you feel that everything is explained well, but not that you're being spoonfed?

yeah, it's explained well, and they give homeworks to test our understanding of it, so they don't spoon feed us

*Do you have any small group work, and if so how often, for how long who with and what are they like?

no group work, it's all individual, although some groups of friends do the homeworks together. some try to work it out as a group, whilst others just straight out copy each other

More generally,
    *What is is like at UCL?

bloody brilliant, i love it.

you get a huge mix of different people from different backgrouds, so it's all about just finding people you like hanging out with. most people are really cool

*What's it like living in London - costs, travelling (I specifically heard that London was quite a lonely place to study in - you can be so far away from mates, as they are all over the city?)

london is faaaaaaar from lonely, living in halls means you live with your mates, and the buses/tube are really good anyway so if your mates lived somewhere else, it would be easy to get to. the student loans and stuff cover the cost of living easily enough. and tbh, london transport is probably the cheapest you'll find in england, plus you can get a student oyster card, which means 30% off travelcards

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bballer4life)

it's pretty challenging, makes you work hard, but i an honestly say that after my first year of maths, i actually feel alot smarter, and think of thinkgs in a more logical way

i don't really know, i had 8 modules, 2 were applied maths, which was mostly mechanics stuff.

*How are the lectures?

the quality of the lectures are actually good, some lecturers are better than others. they are all knowledgable in their fields, most give high quality notes, but 1 guy was really ****. they're very welcoming to questions but alot of the stuff the lecturers teach is online, so to some extent, you don't need to attend some of the lectures at all.

yeah, it's explained well, and they give homeworks to test our understanding of it, so they don't spoon feed us

no group work, it's all individual, although some groups of friends do the homeworks together. some try to work it out as a group, whilst others just straight out copy each other

More generally,
    *What is is like at UCL?

bloody brilliant, i love it.

you get a huge mix of different people from different backgrouds, so it's all about just finding people you like hanging out with. most people are really cool

london is faaaaaaar from lonely, living in halls means you live with your mates, and the buses/tube are really good anyway so if your mates lived somewhere else, it would be easy to get to. the student loans and stuff cover the cost of living easily enough. and tbh, london transport is probably the cheapest you'll find in england, plus you can get a student oyster card, which means 30% off travelcards

hope that helps
    hey thanks that really helped! im definitely going to apply to UCL.
    i think points 3 and 4 are the most important...thats what i wanted to know! tc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbeacom600)
    In order...
    1. Oxford 2. Warwick 3. Imperial or UCL 4. Durham 5. Bath or Bristol

You?
    1. Sheffield 2. Imperial 3. UCL 4. LSE (or king's) 5. Cass

ReputationRep:
    is there an interview for a maths course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bballer4life)

hope that helps
    Huh o_____O.....

ReputationRep:
    Lol wut?

London Transport is one of the most expensive over-priced transport systems in Europe, let alone Britain!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Lol wut?

London Transport is one of the most expensive over-priced transport systems in Europe, let alone Britain!!
    See that's what I thought. As for interviews:

(Original post by UCL Website)
    UCL is one of the few universities that interviews a significant proportion of its applicants. The policy of the majority of our academic departments is to interview, wherever practicable, UK-based applicants who are being actively considered for a place.

The schedule of the interview day varies between academic departments, but you will normally attend a talk about the subject and UCL, be given a tour of the campus and have an opportunity to speak with current students as well as attending the interview itself.

The nature of the interview also varies across departments. Some interviews are subject based whereas others will be more concerned with motivation and communication skills. At UCL, we look at applicants as individuals, with their own skills and interests; we do not only focus on academic qualifications. The interviews give us a chance to meet you and make a serious, considered judgment on your application. We may use the interview to adapt our standard conditional offers depending on an applicant’s strengths and aptitudes.

For some degrees, such as Fine Art and Architecture, the portfolio of work you are asked to bring is vital to the consideration of the application. Other departments may ask you to take certain tests and exercises during the day, for example you may be required to write a short essay. For some language subjects such as French, German and Spanish, part of the interview will be conducted in the appropriate language.

A limited number of departments will use other critieria in selecting their applicants. Some will make offers conditional upon attending a compulsory open day, others may require applicants to complete a written test. Applicants who are resident overseas or those who have difficult journeys are normally exempted from an interview or compulsory open day. However, even these applicants are strongly encouraged to visit UCL before making a decision on which university to attend.

Interviews and open days are intended as two-way processes. They are an opportunity for you to get to know UCL and to ask questions of us. We want to give you a feel of what UCL is like as an institution and what it might be like for you to study here.
    --> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu.../ug-selection/

ReputationRep:
    Hey I study maths at UCL so here you go.

Brilliant, well if you like maths! I find it challenging yet really interesting and would recommend it
    *What about Pure/Applie/Statistics? I do maths with Econ so don't take the Applied/Stats.
    Analysis is quite tough at first but gets better. Algebra is fine.
    *How are the lectures?
    Hmm it depends, most are good, a few exceptions ^^ Like the person above said, some put notes online so you don't really have to attend.
    Yes!
    Tutorials in groups of 6-8 twice a week with a tutor - either a lecturer himself or post-grad
    *How are the lecturers?
    Most of them are friendly and approachable...

*What is is like at UCL?
    Fantastic uni! As it's multifaculty, you get to meet really different people doing all sorts of degrees. Good social events. Many clubs and societies to join.
    Hmm... nice? Lol yeah you'll make friends easily
    I live at home, an hour away, but still manage to meet up with friends and enjoy the social life so its not so much of a problem.
    The city does have lots of things going on and UCL's location in London is good

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    The policy of the majority of our academic departments is to interview, wherever practicable, UK-based applicants who are being actively considered for a place.

Applicants who are resident overseas or those who have difficult journeys are normally exempted from an interview or compulsory open day.
    im a home student but i dont live in the UK anymore. That means i dont get to attend an interview or a compulsory open day, right?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Transport in London is much much cheaper than travel in Liverpool, so no complaints here!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i used to live in kent, and the transport there is just soooo bad, and stupidly overpriced.

london has one of the best transport systems in england, if not theee best. can anyone suggest any better in england? i mean, where else can you go from the first stop on a bus to the last for £1?

ReputationRep:
    how about under 16's travelling free, and college/sixth form students travelling free on the bus?

and i said best in england, edinburgh is not in england so

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.