Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK, Im looking at possibly doing a foundation year for engineering at southampton university... just wondering what a foundation year is like, experiences, if its worth it, extra costs etc etc

ReputationRep:
    ermm I think its just like an access course to be honest expept it costs about 5 times more. But on the other hand you get the whole university experience,

I may be wrong though...:P

ReputationRep:
    it is definately not 5 times more, it is the same cost for a normal year as a degree

To the thread starter, OP, are you planning on getting a foundation year through clearing or what? how are you going to deal with financing your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul McGann)
    it is definitely not 5 times more, it is the same cost for a normal year as a degree
    An access course is about £300 - £400 where a degree is what £3000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    An access course is about £300 - £400 where a degree is what £3000?
    oh sorry, your right, I didn't interpret it properly. However, to advise you a foundation year will give you the uni experience, plus you have extensive coaching bringing you up to scratch for your degree the next year, you dont get that on an access course. There was a girl on here who got an E in A-level physics, EEE at A-level, she did a foundation year at a uni, not as good as southampton though, passed it, she then did an MPhys, got a 2:1 and is now doing a PhD, so it does help, they bring you up from GCSE to degree level standard in one year with no strain!

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely much more expensive than an access course.An access course could range £400-£800 while you'll have to pay the full £3200 for the foundation year.I am doing an access course to science and eng and half the modules are pure maths,a quarter are physics/chemistry and you have an option to whatever subject is suitable.The physics is mostly applied as opposed to theoretical but you get taught what you need to know.The problem is that you are not taught in an engineering context so making an informed choice of an ideal engineering branch is difficult.I guess you will not have such an issue if you go down the foundation route as it is all eng oriented and furthermore you will be well prepared compared to the cohort of a level students.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Biology Chemistry Geography and Economcis predicted AAAA with a GCSE score of 6 A*, 2 A and 2 B... would I still need to do a foundation year for engineering at say southampton or bournemouth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mchammer)
    Im doing Biology Chemistry Geography and Economcis predicted AAAA with a GCSE score of 6 A*, 2 A and 2 B... would I still need to do a foundation year for engineering at say southampton or bournemouth?
    I'm afraid you will.You need the maths up to A level standard for engineering.Do Bourne mouth offer engineering ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

So many unis offer science foundation years? Is there a difference in reputation? Are foundation programmes from some institutions less renowned or accepted than others? May a foundation programme graduate face troubles if he/she applies to another uni after the foundation year?

Thanks!

PS: Does anyone know the foundation years offered by Durham, Leeds, QMUL and give me some advice what they are like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky6)
    Hello,

So many unis offer science foundation years? Is there a difference in reputation? Are foundation programmes from some institutions less renowned or accepted than others? May a foundation programme graduate face troubles if he/she applies to another uni after the foundation year?

Thanks!

PS: Does anyone know the foundation years offered by Durham, Leeds, QMUL and give me some advice what they are like?
    I'm not sure about the reputation of foundation years as they normally guarantee progression to your chosen degree so it is the reputation of your degree that is important.

I did the foundation year at Durham and it was challenging but not impossible. Quite a few people did fail. A few people did apply to other unis and got accepted but most of us decided to stay at Durham.

I decided to do a foundation year after looking at access courses and being confused about what they were worth and where I could apply to. A trip to my local college just made things less clear.

If you have any questions about Durham just ask.

ReputationRep:
    I am Also taking a foundation year next year in engineering and im also interested in other peoples experiences.. I am looking into studying in scotland and am currently deciding between napier and aberdeen which is a better university but even further away .. considering I live near liverpool this is quite a distance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused1991)
    I am Also taking a foundation year next year in engineering and im also interested in other peoples experiences.. I am looking into studying in scotland and am currently deciding between napier and aberdeen which is a better university but even further away .. considering I live near liverpool this is quite a distance
    If you don't mind me asking,why Scotland?Aberdeen is in the middle of nowhere,expensive and always wet.Do not know much about Napier,but you could always ask on the Scottish forum.I was under the impression Liverpool is an awesome city and surrounded by other nice university cities/towns which also offer similar courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_anonymous_friend)
    If you don't mind me asking,why Scotland?Aberdeen is in the middle of nowhere,expensive and always wet.Do not know much about Napier,but you could always ask on the Scottish forum.I was under the impression Liverpool is an awesome city and surrounded by other nice university cities/towns which also offer similar courses.

basically i just want a change of area and I dont fancy the universities in liverpool...

I change my mind a large amount of time and its annoying.

BTW iv added de montfort university to my possible options

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.